Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I am Ram

Gun writers and imaginary threats

6 hours ago, AndroidAggie said:

I think OP was annoyed at hyperbole of gun salesmanship methods.

I don't think OP thinks hand guns will protect against grizzly bear attacks as evidenced by other comments.

I don't think OP meant to pull a fast one by pretending to be buying a gun just to turn around and get a dig in.  OP was up front about his annoyance and wanting to buy a gun doesn't strengthen his position.  He could've said "haha look at these fools who whip themselves up into wanting to buy a gun by inventing wild stories" but instead said "there's sufficient reason to buy a gun, why use hyperbole?"

just my take

The right one certainly can...

As to the OP, I don't know.  Sounds like you read a lot of weird sources when looking for information purchasing a firearm.  You would have been far better off getting information by asking the board, or looking through reputable articles.  The blog or whatever you linked above is not one I have ever even heard of.  How the hell did you find that?

TBH, you said you are looking for a sidearm while you go hiking through Oregon.  I am going to be sincere, you are better off with bear spray.  It does not require the hours and dollars a sidearm does to actually be able to use proficiently and it will stop any critter or human you run into out there.  Some shoot up to 30 feet.  Besides, if you fire a sidearm at a human (your biggest threat) or even pull one on him it can mean years in court and thousands of dollars.

1 minute ago, I am Ram said:

D5yTK0U.jpg

How long are you going to hold on to your pap's old revolver? Might want to pawn that off for some new Subaru accessory. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

Just now, BSUTOP25 said:

OMG .. I found some reviews of the exact same gun that didn't include horrific made up stories about aggressive grizzlies, snakes, or homeless bums:

You don't need to prove that there are good articles out there - no one doubts that. But those aren't the ones I was ranting about obviously.

6 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

You don't need to prove that there are good articles out there - no one doubts that. But those aren't the ones I was ranting about obviously.

I read about guns a lot.  Sounds like you found the topic on facebook, likely in some meme or somebody else's rant and brought it here.  I never run into stories like that....

1 minute ago, I am Ram said:

22 hours ago, I am Ram said:

Why is it that every writer and every blogger in gun journalism constantly feels like they have to make up horrific situations they claim they have been in or could easily get into when it's completely clear that most of these scenarios are total horseshit? 

5 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I read about guns a lot.  Sounds like you found the topic on facebook, likely in some meme or somebody else's rant and brought it here.  I never run into stories like that....

Facebook is a cesspool. I keep meaning to create a fake account and troll the Wyoming based "militia" pages (Wyoming is the only state in the country where private militias are banned) and ask them about it and how they plan to spend their time in jail. I'm no stunner tho.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 minute ago, happycamper said:

Facebook is a cesspool. I keep meaning to create a fake account and troll the Wyoming based "militia" pages (Wyoming is the only state in the country where private militias are banned) and ask them about it and how they plan to spend their time in jail. I'm no stunner tho.

That would be great.  

11 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

How long are you going to hold on to your pap's old revolver? Might want to pawn that off for some new Subaru accessory. 

Eh, lame. You're no fun when you talk about guns. You get way too uptight. 

9 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

Eh, lame. You're no fun when you talk about guns. You get way too uptight. 

Well, just imagine if a right that was very personal and important to you was under constant assault. You’d probably be a little testy as well. 

1 hour ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Well, just imagine if a right that was very personal and important to you was under constant assault. You’d probably be a little testy as well. 

No, I get that. But not every perceived attack is an attack. And not everyone who's a bit less passionate than you is an enemy. It must be possible to be pro 2A and still be critical of some of the crap that goes on within gun culture.