Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WilliamHicks

Question for BYU fans

Too much has happened for them to return.

Not enough has happened for them to (completely) leave.

So here we are.

Go Warriors! Go Bows! Go Wahine! GO HAWAI'I!!

aloha-stadium.jpg

This is Mountain West Country

ALOHA!

Follow me on Twitter! @UHawkFan12

I've tried to find the good in BYU Fans, but BYU fans are the dumbest fans on earth when it comes to actual knowledge of the Game and what is best for their programs.  

Most feel they are so much better than everyone else in sports, life, & everything.   They still bash on how bad the MWC is and that it would suck to have to play certain teams each year.   

Anyone who has lived by them or been around a BYU fan for very long will agree.  

31 minutes ago, WilliamHicks said:

Let's dispense of the BS. 

Are you in favor of BYU coming back to the MWC? 

I don't think so.  It just seems toxic here between the fans of BYU and the schools here.  BBall has deteriorated significantly while BYU has been away.  BYU dominated the Olympic sports here, and the Olympic sports have grown even more in the WCC, which is more competitive with regards to that.  I don't care about college baseball, so that's not a draw to return.  

We already play a lot of the schools here in football.  I see continued games with Hawaii, USU, and BSU as long as those teams want to play.  I've enjoyed the series with those teams.  I don't miss playing  AFA, Wyoming, and UNM, which is fine because they don't want to play either.  I'd like to play CSU, but it's not the end of the world if we don't.  We've had series or games scheduled with all the schools in the other division, either in the past or going forward.

I don't think this league can match the money (and frankly, I don't really care about the money, but I see why they're doing what they're doing).  I think being in a league is fun, because even when you're bad, like this year; you can ruin someone's year by upsetting them or getting up for one game.  Following the teams in the league is fun from week to week, so I see the draw as far as that is concerned.

I think if BYU joins a G5 league, it will be the AAC, and I could see this league being poached to do so.  It's a more national league with some games throughout the country for those BYU fans that live elsewhere.  I also think long term it's a more competitive league, and I'm not saying that to diminish the MWC.  I like this league, I like what it has meant to my school, but there are programs here that will never be committed long term to growing their football programs for whatever reason; and it's close to half the league. 

Why do you guys always start threads about this?  There's like one a week here.  You would have to take on another program to add BYU unless you kicked someone out, and I don't see that happening.

1 minute ago, AggieSox said:

I've tried to find the good in BYU Fans, but BYU fans are the dumbest fans on earth when it comes to actual knowledge of the Game and what is best for their programs.  

Most feel they are so much better than everyone else in sports, life, & everything.   They still bash on how bad the MWC is and that it would suck to have to play certain teams each year.   

Irony. coming from you.  When is your team going to get around to dominating things around here?  It's been a couple years since your amazing prediction, and I haven't seen it come to pass yet.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

15 minutes ago, AggieSox said:

I admit it, I'm dumb. I don't know anything about football.  I do know this post was dumb.

38 minutes ago, AggieSox said:

Good post. Couldn’t agree more. 99% of BYU fans are complete ass hats. The sad thing is, they don’t even realize it. 

This is a great thread btw.  I know this much. BYU is one of the worst football programs in the country. What a disaster. 

We need more threads like this. I also think BYU should crawl back to the MWC ASAP.

26 minutes ago, utenation said:

Good post. Couldn’t agree more. 99% of BYU fans are complete ass hats. The sad thing is, they don’t even realize it. 

This is a great thread btw.  I know this much. BYU is one of the worst football programs in the country. What a disaster. 

We need more threads like this. I also think BYU should crawl back to the MWC ASAP.

Funny, I enjoy my association with 99% of the BYU fans I know. But then I enjoy my association with 99% of the Ute fans and other people I know as well. I do know some who are doing their best to prove to me they have turned into complete idiots.

2 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

I think if BYU joins a G5 league, it will be the AAC, and I could see this league being poached to do so.  It's a more national league with some games throughout the country for those BYU fans that live elsewhere.  I also think long term it's a more competitive league, and I'm not saying that to diminish the MWC.  I like this league, I like what it has meant to my school, but there are programs here that will never be committed long term to growing their football programs for whatever reason; and it's close to half the league. 

I normally agree with you Bauer but it would have made more sense for BYU to join the AAC back when Boise State and SUDS were there. Had BYU and CSU or AFA joined, that league could have created a nice all sports division with Boise State, BYU, Houston, SMU, SUDS, and CSU/AFA. As it stands now, BYU would be forced to play 80% of their games against schools that are thousands rather than hundred of miles away. Independence makes more sense than that. If BYU joins a conference in the future, it will either be the MWC or some form of BOR league that gets created out of another shakeup in the P5, most likely to include the dregs from the Big XII.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

7 hours ago, AggieSox said:

I’m sure Aggie fans are the gold standard for understanding “what is best” for BYU’s programs.

:rolleyes:

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

7 hours ago, AggieSox said:

Actually, I won't. I know a TON of BYU fans (both family and friends). All quality people. And the vast majority of those I know would favor BYU coming back to the MWC. I think they were all fine with going independent, but most realize it just hasn't turned out great.

Much like how most of the Vandal fans I know personally favored dropping to FCS. Online vs real life are quite different.

9 hours ago, WilliamHicks said:

Let's dispense of the BS. 

Are you in favor of BYU coming back to the MWC? 

Only thing more damaging to a football program than being in a G5 conference is being independent.  Even Notre Dame is pretty much a football member of the ACC. 

If I were in charge I would not have ever left.  8 teams with BSU, BYU, SDSU, UNLV, Wyo, AFA, CSU, and UNM.  I would have invited Wichita St and solidified basketball.  I would have bought the mtn and rented BYU broadcast center for MWC sports and sold a MWC ticket to be able to watch all unbroadcast games on the MWC new conference network. The 'ticket' would be similar to ESPN old gameplan.  I would have went after the commissioner from the Big EAst.  I would have then had BYU and Hawaii schedule 15 games (10 in Hawaii and 5 in Provo)

6 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I normally agree with you Bauer but it would have made more sense for BYU to join the AAC back when Boise State and SUDS were there. Had BYU and CSU or AFA joined, that league could have created a nice all sports division with Boise State, BYU, Houston, SMU, SUDS, and CSU/AFA. As it stands now, BYU would be forced to play 80% of their games against schools that are thousands rather than hundred of miles away. Independence makes more sense than that. If BYU joins a conference in the future, it will either be the MWC or some form of BOR league that gets created out of another shakeup in the P5, most likely to include the dregs from the Big XII.

Well, I think the scenario you describe will be what happens. BYU doesn't care about the travel.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

No - not going to provide my reasons again.  It’s been discussed ad nauseum on this board.  BYU needs resources to keep pace in modern CFB.  Coming back to the MWC sets BYU back.  Then again, I don’t see BYU making good use of their additional resources at this point.

v0icAvfW.jpg

6 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I don’t think BYU joins the AAC without taking a few western teams with them - probably from here.  But I think your BOR scenario is the most likely at this point - and I would be very happy with that.  I’d even be happy with a BOR conference that doesn’t include BigXII leftovers with east/west divisions.

v0icAvfW.jpg

38 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I don’t think BYU joins the AAC without taking a few western teams with them - probably from here.  But I think your BOR scenario is the most likely at this point - and I would be very happy with that.  I’d even be happy with a BOR conference that doesn’t include BigXII leftovers with east/west divisions.

I don’t think either of those things happens because the best athletics programs are too far west.   The cost of travel outweighs the dollar benefit.

3 hours ago, RogueStout said:

I’m sure Aggie fans are the gold standard for understanding “what is best” for BYU’s programs.

:rolleyes:

Bingo!  Well kinda.  Ute fan is the gold standard.  Aggie fans will have to settle for silver.

48 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

That's what I'd like to see happen as well.  I could deal with independence if they could balance the schedules, and I'm talking from two view points.  They are too front end loaded, and the home schedules from year to year are just not balanced.  I believe that Holmoe pretty much has to schedule this way if he wants to get schedules.  I think the AAC would be a good landing spot but I would like to see a team or two from the MWC added as well.  I have my preferences, but they are based on personal experiences and biases so I suppose I should let that go.  That said, I have grown to like the WCC for our sports other than football, and that includes basketball.  I don't now that BYU will ever win the conference.  Gonzaga is too good, and yes in most years so is St. Mary's.  Most of the rest of the conference is below average, but I think top to bottom it is a better conference than the MWC and although fans from here will disagree with that, the RPI etc. in recent years will bear that out.  I really don't want to be back in the MWC.  Some of the institutions may want us back but most of the fans don't.  I learned in junior high, if you're not wanted at a party, don't go.