Warbow

UC San Diego to join Big West

10 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Probably would take more than Fresno, SDSU & Hawaii breaking off - who do they have go with them as they are all the far west of the MWC (Sans SJSU) 

I don't really see any conference wanting or needing Hawaii as they are just way too far off and UH would have to hand out travel subsidies plus they always have to have their own island centric TV deal because they are 2 to 3 hours minimum behind any other school or conference

For a new conference to form it's going to take at least 8 like minded schools to break off - and those 3 schools going independent don't really make a big difference unless the goal is to kill off the MWC with the intention of reforming a new conference, meaning aligning with some AAC/CUSA schools in a conference that would span the continent like the Big East tried making it a travel nightmare, which would leave Hawaii off on an island because I can't see Florida schools wanting road trips 7 times zones away even if UH paid travel $$ (which would bleed UH dry eventually) 

IMO the whole western schools breaking off thing (which I actually think is a good idea regardless) would have to be initiated by BYU. The schools that would make or break this move would (again) be UNLV and Fresno, and I don’t see them leaving the MWC unless the new conference includes BYU (and maybe Gonzaga). 

28 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

IMO the whole western schools breaking off thing (which I actually think is a good idea regardless) would have to be initiated by BYU. The schools that would make or break this move would (again) be UNLV and Fresno, and I don’t see them leaving the MWC unless the new conference includes BYU (and maybe Gonzaga). 

Not sure why any MWC school would trust BYU after their dalliance with USU & the WAC as they were leaving the MWC.

Actually the strongest move would be to have BYU come back to the MWC & either cut Hawaii or SJSU loose..........probably Hawaii, let them go indy due to travel & it brings the MWC to 12 in FB & BB, and maybe have a rotating scheduling agreement with Hawaii as there is some benefit to having the 13th game when a team visits Hawaii 

I don't see any new conference forming out of the MWC & some CUSA/AAC schools - for that to happen I think could be the result if there is a shakeup in the B12 & the B12 loses schools to the other P4 leaving the B12 wounded and having to fill from the MWC & AAC.......that would wound the MWC (bigly) and the MWC might have to scrounge up a conference of WCC, Big West, Big Sky, CUSA schools and reform as some new conference.

IMO all future MWC moves hinge on what happens to the B12....... if Texas, Oklahoma & some others leave the B12, the remaining B12 could easily pick up MWC & AAC schools and be the weakest P5 .......if that happens, the MWC might be wounded beyond repair as there just isn't much out west to fill empty spots, especially on the FB side.

If the B12 loses some top power schools and the B12 leftovers grab some MWC & AAC then the reality of say Wyoming, USU, UNR, AF, SJS might be independent status - The top current MWC to B12 options are BSU, BYU, SDSU, UNLV, FSU & CSU - Doubt all 6 would land in the new B12 as there would be AAC schools added also & the B12 might not need more than 4 to 6 new adds.

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

Not sure why any MWC school would trust BYU after their dalliance with USU & the WAC as they were leaving the MWC.

Actually the strongest move would be to have BYU come back to the MWC & either cut Hawaii or SJSU loose..........probably Hawaii, let them go indy due to travel & it brings the MWC to 12 in FB & BB, and maybe have a rotating scheduling agreement with Hawaii as there is some benefit to having the 13th game when a team visits Hawaii 

I don't see any new conference forming out of the MWC & some CUSA/AAC schools - for that to happen I think could be the result if there is a shakeup in the B12 & the B12 loses schools to the other P4 leaving the B12 wounded and having to fill from the MWC & AAC.......that would wound the MWC (bigly) and the MWC might have to scrounge up a conference of WCC, Big West, Big Sky, CUSA schools and reform as some new conference.

IMO all future MWC moves hinge on what happens to the B12....... if Texas, Oklahoma & some others leave the B12, the remaining B12 could easily pick up MWC & AAC schools and be the weakest P5 .......if that happens, the MWC might be wounded beyond repair as there just isn't much out west to fill empty spots, especially on the FB side.

If the B12 loses some top power schools and the B12 leftovers grab some MWC & AAC then the reality of say Wyoming, USU, UNR, AF, SJS might be independent status - The top current MWC to B12 options are BSU, BYU, SDSU, UNLV, FSU & CSU - Doubt all 6 would land in the new B12 as there would be AAC schools added also & the B12 might not need more than 4 to 6 new adds.

I think from a financial standpoint the best move would be for an 8 team conference. BYU would join up with Boise, SDSU, UNLV and Fresno, then from there they could decide what three schools would join them. Basically would be a way for BYU to rejoin the MWC but by leaving 5 schools behind you get less mouths to feed. With BYU on board they may be able to get Gonzaga to join as well. 

From article:

For UCSD to now have been accepted, and if Hawaii voted in its favor, at least two of the Cal State schools would have had to alter their votes.

Of course Hawaii voted in favor of UCSD. Because...

9 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

It likely means we won't be going to the Big West as it's currently composed. However, as I've continued to say, insiders told me a year ago the administration had decided to just sit tight in the MWC until the B12 thing shakes out circa 2024-2025. Fresno and UNLV will obviously do the same and if all of us are rejected by the B12 when it realigns, we could go indy for football and take all the CSU schools out of the Big West to create our own conference for Olys. You only need eight to qualify for an NCAA bid and with those four CSU schools plus Hawaii, there would be eight and if CSUB would also join, there would be nine. UNR might also be interested in coming along and we could cobble together a sort of independent football conference. (The UC schools within the Big West could add more of their own kind or merge with the WAC.)

My thing is this. If K5James is correct, SDSU is going to get stuck playing in the Hawaii Bowl again which is bad enough. Much worse is we're going to get stuck playing Temple, which was about as good this year as Utah State. We Aztecs are just sick of having to deal with such garbage and if that's our bowl lot in life this year, it's going to be another strike against remaining in this mess under any circumstances when realignment again raises its head.

Actually, I believe it's only six to qualify for most sports. The eight you are thinking of may be the requirement to officially sponsor football at the FBS level.

EDIT: The minimum number of members for a D-I Multisport Conference is seven.

8 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

It likely means we won't be going to the Big West as it's currently composed. However, as I've continued to say, insiders told me a year ago the administration had decided to just sit tight in the MWC until the B12 thing shakes out circa 2024-2025. Fresno and UNLV will obviously do the same and if all of us are rejected by the B12 when it realigns, we could go indy for football and take all the CSU schools out of the Big West to create our own conference for Olys. You only need eight to qualify for an NCAA bid and with those four CSU schools plus Hawaii, there would be eight and if CSUB would also join, there would be nine. UNR might also be interested in coming along and we could cobble together a sort of independent football conference. (The UC schools within the Big West could add more of their own kind or merge with the WAC.)

My thing is this. If K5James is correct, SDSU is going to get stuck playing in the Hawaii Bowl again which is bad enough. Much worse is we're going to get stuck playing Temple, which was about as good this year as Utah State. We Aztecs are just sick of having to deal with such garbage and if that's our bowl lot in life this year, it's going to be another strike against remaining in this mess under any circumstances when realignment again raises its head.

I can guarantee that you will not be successful in creating a new conference by taking the CSU's out of the Big West. Under current NCAA rules, a new conference is not entitled to an autobid unless unless all members of the new conference have played in the same conference for at least 8 years. So if you create a new conference of CSU schools, it won't have an autobid for eight years. (Not in basketball, at any rate. I'm not sure about the rules for other sports.) So no, you're not creating a new conference. The CSU schools are not going to go almost a decade with no autobid just to be in a conference with SDSU. If you still have any delusions of leaving the MWC, the current Big West is your only realistic new home.

7 hours ago, NWRebel said:

But, Rebel football though.  No P5 conference is going to take us serious when we don't even take our own selves serious.  High school coach and a couple of Pac12 retread coordinators isn't the right formula.

Exactly. If there's going to be some "realignment" in 2024/2025, and UNLV wants to position themselves for a call up to the major leagues, we cannot waste any more time. It's time to get serious or face facts. I'm not sure Rebel football needs to have 5 consecutive top 25 years to impress the B12 or Pac12, but there must be some success and a commitment to football which cannot be doubted. Now by that time we'll be in the new stadium and the football facility will be built so who knows...

10 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I'll give you one thing: you do not lack for pride or ego.  The only thing missing is humility.

Is it fitting or irony that possibly the most versatile word in the English language is also of unknown origin?

5810036134_cb4d739b38_b.jpg

One thing I have to say: I do not see Nevada and UNLV separating at this point, unless one gets a PAC-whatever offer.

Pac West: U-Dub, Wazzu, Oregon, OSU, Cal, Stanford, USC, UCLA

Pac East: BSU, Nevada, UNLV, Fresno/SDSU, Utah, Colorado

While we're allowing for delusional wet dreams, that alignment maintains all traditional (except Utah & Colorado) rivalries.

Is it fitting or irony that possibly the most versatile word in the English language is also of unknown origin?

5810036134_cb4d739b38_b.jpg

11 hours ago, ph90702 said:

If they ever get a good football program, they are a lock for P5.

Well, they already have better facilities and fan support than SJSU.

21d52201-f4f3-4b4f-b691-0db8e0f5de2c.JPG

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

15 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I think from a financial standpoint the best move would be for an 8 team conference. BYU would join up with Boise, SDSU, UNLV and Fresno, then from there they could decide what three schools would join them. Basically would be a way for BYU to rejoin the MWC but by leaving 5 schools behind you get less mouths to feed. With BYU on board they may be able to get Gonzaga to join as well. 

Doubt Gonzaga would leave their WCC (similar religious based schools) for what might be a worse MWC basketball conference - and BYU doesn't carry that much weight as this move would burn more bridges with the schools left out 

Let SDSU fans chirp all they want about their "plight"...........nothing is going to happen until the B12 makes noise 

11 hours ago, bornsilverandblue said:

One thing I have to say: I do not see Nevada and UNLV separating at this point, unless one gets a PAC-whatever offer.

Pac West: U-Dub, Wazzu, Oregon, OSU, Cal, Stanford, USC, UCLA

Pac East: BSU, Nevada, UNLV, Fresno/SDSU, Utah, Colorado

While we're allowing for delusional wet dreams, that alignment maintains all traditional (except Utah & Colorado) rivalries.

100% agree with this - only way UNR & UNLV depart the MWC is either together or one wins the P5 lottery