Warbow

UC San Diego to join Big West

39 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

You think SDSU privately gave UCSD a blessing to move up?  Because otherwise I can't figure out why Kevin Faulconer would be speaking at this announcement.

For you non-Aztecs, Faulconer is the mayor of San Diego and an SDSU alum.

The reason is probably that Faulconer has fully whored himself out to developers. It's known he once eyed the governor's mansion but has figured out that at least next year, the competition of SF mayor Gavin Newsom and Kevin DeLeon, who is a bigshot in the legislature, means he has zero chance to even get in a runoff since it's no longer between a Dem and a Republican but rather between the two highest vote getters in the primary and it's going to be those two. Faulconer is all in for the November 2018 Soccer City initiative and my guess is somebody has told him that having UCSD in the Big West might somehow make it more difficult for SDSU to oppose that measure. We'll know for certain if in the next few months the Soccer City folks come out and pledge to allow UCSD to develop some of the Qualcomm property if their initiative passes.Of course, that would prevent SDSU from expanding its campus to that site.

Boom goes the dynamite.

21 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Think you overestimate a bunch of P5's scheduling UNLV FB after September - How many P5's did BYU have this season after September? And serious P5 programs don't need games with a historically crappy UNLV FB when they have their conference schedule going.

UNLV as an indy just means BYU & NMSU and whatever other scrub teams want to play in a huge empty stadium - Guess if SDSU thinks they are big time they can go indy & SDUS, BYU & UNLV can have a round robin every season along with the NMSU game 

I could see a UNLV Football schedule:

vs UCLA

at Arizona St

at Ohio State

vs Wisconsin

vs Texas

at Iowa State

vs Texas A&M

bye week

vs FCS

vs Army

at BYU

vs Hawai‘i

at Nevada

2 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

I could see a UNLV Football schedule:

vs UCLA

at Arizona St

at Ohio State

vs Wisconsin

vs Texas

at Iowa State

vs Texas A&M

bye week

vs FCS

vs Army

at BYU

vs Hawai‘i

at Nevada

I could see that if I :shots: & :hookah:  enough 

Reality looks like this

vs Southern Utah

vs NMSU 

at UCLA

vs Texas Tech

at BYU

vs SDSU

at Utah

vs BYU

at SDSU

at NMSU

vs UTEP

vs/at Nevada 

13 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Come on home.  UNLV and San Jose.  It won't quite be like old times but you'll thrive.

s-l400.jpg

good times! the big west will always hold some great memories for me.

4 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

The reason is probably that Faulconer has fully whored himself out to developers. It's known he once eyed the governor's mansion but has figured out that at least next year, the competition of SF mayor Gavin Newsom and Kevin DeLeon, who is a bigshot in the legislature, means he has zero chance to even get in a runoff since it's no longer between a Dem and a Republican but rather between the two highest vote getters in the primary and it's going to be those two. Faulconer is all in for the November 2018 Soccer City initiative and my guess is somebody has told him that having UCSD in the Big West might somehow make it more difficult for SDSU to oppose that measure. We'll know for certain if in the next few months the Soccer City folks come out and pledge to allow UCSD to develop some of the Qualcomm property if their initiative passes.Of course, that would prevent SDSU from expanding its campus to that site.

i could see them attempting this, it would be a very smooth move for them if they were looking to keep sdsu out.

4 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

I could see that if I :shots: & :hookah:  enough 

Reality looks like this

vs Southern Utah

vs NMSU 

at UCLA

vs Texas Tech

at BYU

vs SDSU

at Utah

vs BYU

at SDSU

at NMSU

vs UTEP

vs/at Nevada 

so we can get games with ucla, usc, michigan, and ohio state BECAUSE we are in the MW playing at sam boyd?

23 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

The reason is probably that Faulconer has fully whored himself out to developers. It's known he once eyed the governor's mansion but has figured out that at least next year, the competition of SF mayor Gavin Newsom and Kevin DeLeon who is a bigshot in the legislature means he has zero chance to even get in a runoff since it's no longer between a Dem and a Republican but rather between the two highest vote getters in the primary and it's going to be those two. Faulconer is all in for the November 2018 Soccer City initiative and my guess is somebody has told him that having UCSD in the Big West might somehow make it more difficult for SDSU to oppose that measure. We'll know for certain if in the next few months the Soccer City folks come out and pledge to allow UCSD to develop some of the Qualcomm property if their initiative passes.Of course, that would prevent SDSU from expanding its campus to that site.

If someone sold Faulconer on that idea, he is a fool.  UCSD and Soccer City are two totally different, independent issues.  The only possible relevance I can see between UCSD resolving their Division 1 issues early and your tug-of-war with FS Investors over that land surrounding the Q, is now SDSU will have one less distraction to deal with.  Besides, I thought UCSD had no interest in Mission Valley - only for La Jolla or maybe downtown.

1 minute ago, 4UNLV said:

so we can get games with ucla, usc, michigan, and ohio state BECAUSE we are in the MW playing at sam boyd?

UNLV can get games at those schools now & has had UCLA for a home & home while at SBS.

The new stadium might be good for one or two home games a season but to think P5's will be lining up to play UNLV at Raiders Stadium is a pipe dream brought on by too much :hookah: 

3 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

UNLV can get games at those schools now & has had UCLA for a home & home while at SBS.

The new stadium might be good for one or two home games a season but to think P5's will be lining up to play UNLV at Raiders Stadium is a pipe dream brought on by too much :hookah: 

i think there have been several p5 teams that have scheduled home and homes with unlv, (recently, yes, ucla, arizona, minnesota, wisconsin), and with a brand new state of the art stadium i could see a few more that might throw their hat into the ring. i realize independence might never happen, and might not even be in unlv's best interest, but i think a good AD could sell a few every year in las vegas.

but i could be wrong.

2 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

i think there have been several p5 teams that have scheduled home and homes with unlv, (recently, yes, ucla, arizona, minnesota, wisconsin), and with a brand new state of the art stadium i could see a few more that might throw their hat into the ring. i realize independence might never happen, and might not even be in unlv's best interest, but i think a good AD could sell a few every year in las vegas.

but i could be wrong.

I could see a UNLV AD selling the new stadium to some big programs, by basically allowing them to control 75% of the ticket sales and making it a big party trip for an easy win before a new stadium filled with their fans. UNLV can hold the general allotment of 15,000 tickets (that's about the average UNLV crowd) and let the big time opponent control the other 50,000 tickets and put together full junket trips for their fans........and they make some $$ a road game.............UNLV gets the photo op of a full stadium to try and sell the NMSU, BYU & SDSU round robin ! 

Kind of how Wisconsin treated their games at UNLV back when they used to schedule UNLV in LV........those photo's of a full SBS with fans in red were used for years !! UNLV just needs to make sure one visiting power team is predominantly RED so the photo op works ! 

Still after September those games will be hard to come by 

57 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

We don’t.

If Fresno, SDSU, and Hawaii decided to leave for a new league you would have a hard time doing anything different.   SJSU would have no choice because our games are their largest attending games. 

I would see the following choices:

SDSU, Fresno and Hawaii leave...

SJSU definately joins us

UNLV definately joins us

Reno probably joins us

the question is what does Utah State do and who is the 8th team?    

5 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

If Fresno, SDSU, and Hawaii decided to leave for a new league you would have a hard time doing anything different.   SJSU would have no choice because our games are their largest attending games. 

SJSU definately joins us

UNLV definately joins us

Reno probably joins us

utah state will do what byu tells them to. :P

1 hour ago, jdgaucho said:

I don't recall seeing or hearing any local politician speak up back in 2011 when SDSU announced their football move to the Big East.  That wasn't a minor deal either. 

As a side note, former mayor Jerry Sanders (2005-2012) is one of the scheduled speakers and like Faulconer, an SDSU alum.  Sanders is now President and CEO of the Regional Chamber of Commerce.

K

12 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

SJSU definately joins us

UNLV definately joins us

Reno probably joins us

Probably would take more than Fresno, SDSU & Hawaii breaking off - who do they have go with them as they are all the far west of the MWC (Sans SJSU) 

I don't really see any conference wanting or needing Hawaii as they are just way too far off and UH would have to hand out travel subsidies plus they always have to have their own island centric TV deal because they are 2 to 3 hours minimum behind any other school or conference

For a new conference to form it's going to take at least 8 like minded schools to break off - and those 3 schools going independent don't really make a big difference unless the goal is to kill off the MWC with the intention of reforming a new conference, meaning aligning with some AAC/CUSA schools in a conference that would span the continent like the Big East tried making it a travel nightmare, which would leave Hawaii off on an island because I can't see Florida schools wanting road trips 7 times zones away even if UH paid travel $$ (which would bleed UH dry eventually)