Warbow

UC San Diego to join Big West

3 hours ago, RebelRobert said:

About time.

Big West shouldn’t add anybody else until Nevada State is ready.

It's been over four years since we last whipped you in Vegas.  You should be ready by now.

20 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

I don’t understand the “stuck” comment? Aren’t MWC bowls slotted? This year SDSU is no better than the 3rd best team in the MWC based on its play in conference? Whose fault is that? 

I don’t under how independence changes that equation? BYU plays in the same random bowls and it has a much larger following than SDSU? WTF am I missing?

Nothing. Suds fans are delusional when it comes to their football program. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

2 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

It likely means we won't be going to the Big West as it's currently composed. However, as I've continued to say, insiders told me a year ago the administration had decided to just sit tight in the MWC until the B12 thing shakes out circa 2024-2025. Fresno and UNLV will obviously do the same and if all of us are rejected by the B12 when it realigns, we could go indy for football and take all the CSU schools out of the Big West to create our own conference for Olys. You only need eight to qualify for an NCAA bid and with those four CSU schools plus Hawaii, there would be eight and if CSUB would also join, there would be nine. UNR might also be interested in coming along and we could cobble together a sort of independent football conference. (The UC schools within the Big West could add more of their own kind or merge with the WAC.)

My thing is this. If K5James is correct, SDSU is going to get stuck playing in the Hawaii Bowl again which is bad enough. Much worse is we're going to get stuck playing Temple, which was about as good this year as Utah State. We Aztecs are just sick of having to deal with such garbage and if that's our bowl lot in life this year, it's going to be another strike against remaining in this mess under any circumstances when realignment again raises its head.

Except you can’t screw UCSD because they sponsor most all of your PhD degrees.   If they pull the plug you are screwed.    

36 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

I don’t understand the “stuck” comment? Aren’t MWC bowls slotted? This year SDSU is no better than the 3rd best team in the MWC based on its play in conference? Whose fault is that? 

I don’t under how independence changes that equation? BYU plays in the same random bowls and it has a much larger following than SDSU? WTF am I missing?

I’m guessing SDSU would profit off of the move by being able to sell their own football TV rights. And if UNLV, Fresno, UNR, and Hawaii were also indy then filling out that 12 game schedule for football becomes much easier, which takes away the one real negative of leaving the MWC. New league would be a 1-2 bid league for basketball like the MWC currently is, and it would be a better baseball league. 

4 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I’m guessing SDSU would profit off of the move by being able to sell their own football TV rights. And if UNLV, Fresno, UNR, and Hawaii were also indy then filling out that 12 game schedule for football becomes much easier, which takes away the one real negative of leaving the MWC. New league would be a 1-2 bid league for basketball like the MWC currently is, and it would be a better baseball league. 

SDSU & BYU can hook for an annual best of 5 or 7 series - seriously doubt UNLV would even consider going independent.

Let SDSU get all huffy and go Indy, they have NMSU, BYU out west that makes a short travel round robin - then try and get a few other games sprinkled in 

3 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

It likely means we won't be going to the Big West as it's currently composed. However, as I've continued to say, insiders told me a year ago the administration had decided to just sit tight in the MWC until the B12 thing shakes out circa 2024-2025. Fresno and UNLV will obviously do the same and if all of us are rejected by the B12 when it realigns, we could go indy for football and take all the CSU schools out of the Big West to create our own conference for Olys. You only need eight to qualify for an NCAA bid and with those four CSU schools plus Hawaii, there would be eight and if CSUB would also join, there would be nine. UNR might also be interested in coming along and we could cobble together a sort of independent football conference. (The UC schools within the Big West could add more of their own kind or merge with the WAC.)

My thing is this. If K5James is correct, SDSU is going to get stuck playing in the Hawaii Bowl again which is bad enough. Much worse is we're going to get stuck playing Temple, which was about as good this year as Utah State. We Aztecs are just sick of having to deal with such garbage and if that's our bowl lot in life this year, it's going to be another strike against remaining in this mess under any circumstances when realignment again raises its head.

You think SDSU privately gave UCSD a blessing to move up?  Because otherwise I can't figure out why Kevin Faulconer would be speaking at this announcement.

For you non-Aztecs, Faulconer is the mayor of San Diego and an SDSU alum.

34 minutes ago, Yellow Evan said:

BW once again proves it isn't serious about getting better.

Add UCSD and kiss goodbye any hopes of getting the Aztecs, UNLV, Fresno or Reno back.  Pass on UCSD and be viewed as bullies or watch them thrive in the WAC with no guarantee anyone is coming.  Damned if ya do, damned if ya don't :shrug:

1 minute ago, jdgaucho said:

You think SDSU privately gave UCSD a blessing to move up?  Because otherwise I can't figure out why Kevin Faulconer would be speaking at this announcement.

For you non-Aztecs, Faulconer is the mayor of San Diego and an SDSU alum.

Why wouldn’t he? UCSD is joining most of the other UCs by moving up to D1, seems like a big enough deal for him to speak.

42 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

SDSU & BYU can hook for an annual best of 5 or 7 series - seriously doubt UNLV would even consider going independent.

Let SDSU get all huffy and go Indy, they have NMSU, BYU out west that makes a short travel round robin - then try and get a few other games sprinkled in 

i'm not so sure about that. in a few years i could see the right circumstances making that at least something to consider, especially if other certain schools are on board.

4 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

i'm not so sure about that. in a few years i could see the right circumstances making that at least something to consider, especially if other certain schools are on board.

With the new football stadium, UNLV is the most likely to go independent because it will be even easier for UNLV to schedule 1-for-1’s with the big boys (and BYU).

In Football UNLV could easily put together a 12 game schedule full of P-5 schools that would help fill up the new stadium.

UNLV would need to find a home for all of the other sports though.  Until the Big Ten, Big-12 or PAC-12 gets their $hit together and sends the destined invite.

Just now, 4UNLV said:

Think there's a better chance of UNLV joining / forming a new conference of some sort - Don't see much future of UNLV joining BYU & SDSU as independents. For starters that would pretty much guarantee UNLV FB would bleed huge $$ as the TV / streaming options would be paltry & limited to local TV (if anyone locally would actually pay for UNLV FB games) 

At least BYU has a western following they can point to for TV deals & $$$............SDSU & UNLV are hard sells in their own TV markets and we already know UNLV outside of a P5 conference kills FB perception as even being meaningful 

It's either form a new farther reaching conference (into Texas) or a P5 comes to the rescue or ride the MWC for the long term......don't see UNLV FB surviving independence 

16 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Why wouldn’t he? UCSD is joining most of the other UCs by moving up to D1, seems like a big enough deal for him to speak.

I don't recall seeing or hearing any local politician speak up back in 2011 when SDSU announced their football move to the Big East.  That wasn't a minor deal either. 

As a side note, former mayor Jerry Sanders (2005-2012) is one of the scheduled speakers and like Faulconer, an SDSU alum.  Sanders is now President and CEO of the Regional Chamber of Commerce.

4 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

With the new football stadium, UNLV is the most likely to go independent because it will be even easier for UNLV to schedule 1-for-1’s with the big boys (and BYU).

In Football UNLV could easily put together a 12 game schedule full of P-5 schools that would help fill up the new stadium.

UNLV would need to find a home for all of the other sports though.  Until the Big Ten, Big-12 or PAC-12 gets their $hit together and sends the destined invite.

Think you overestimate a bunch of P5's scheduling UNLV FB after September - How many P5's did BYU have this season after September? And serious P5 programs don't need games with a historically crappy UNLV FB when they have their conference schedule going.

UNLV as an indy just means BYU & NMSU and whatever other scrub teams want to play in a huge empty stadium - Guess if SDSU thinks they are big time they can go indy & SDUS, BYU & UNLV can have a round robin every season along with the NMSU game 

13 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

Come on home.  UNLV and San Jose.  It won't quite be like old times but you'll thrive.

s-l400.jpg

Nevada won't be going indy as well.  Overall the athletic department is happy where they are at with respect to conference affiliation.  I hope the shakeout comes soon and Nevada can affiliated with schools that want to be here.  I see long term affiliation with Boise, Wyoming, Fresno State, Utah State and UNLV.