Warbow

UC San Diego to join Big West

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

1 minute ago, RebelRobert said:

About time.

Big West shouldn’t add anybody else until Nevada State is ready.

Is that Reno or Vegas?

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

1 minute ago, ph90702 said:

If they ever get a good football program, they are a lock for P5.

:facepalm:

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

14 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

Cal State San Marcos might be a good Big West addition someday (10 years from now).

You obviously know nothing about CSUSM athletics. I do and from that will tell you CSUSM not only has shown no inclination to want to move up in the sports world, it has done the opposite.

Boom goes the dynamite.

27 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

You obviously know nothing about CSUSM athletics. I do and from that will tell you CSUSM not only has shown no inclination to want to move up in the sports world, it has done the opposite.

You could have said the same thing about UCSD (and many did) ten years ago.  They were wrong.

San Marcos will become a big school (student population wise) and at some point with a change in administration and focus about athletics may change.

14 minutes ago, LoboSage said:

Does this mean that there will be no available spot for Azteca when they bolt for independence?

It likely means we won't be going to the Big West as it's currently composed. However, as I've continued to say, insiders told me a year ago the administration had decided to just sit tight in the MWC until the B12 thing shakes out circa 2024-2025. Fresno and UNLV will obviously do the same and if all of us are rejected by the B12 when it realigns, we could go indy for football and take all the CSU schools out of the Big West to create our own conference for Olys. You only need eight to qualify for an NCAA bid and with those four CSU schools plus Hawaii, there would be eight and if CSUB would also join, there would be nine. UNR might also be interested in coming along and we could cobble together a sort of independent football conference. (The UC schools within the Big West could add more of their own kind or merge with the WAC.)

My thing is this. If K5James is correct, SDSU is going to get stuck playing in the Hawaii Bowl again which is bad enough. Much worse is we're going to get stuck playing Temple, which was about as good this year as Utah State. We Aztecs are just sick of having to deal with such garbage and if that's our bowl lot in life this year, it's going to be another strike against remaining in this mess under any circumstances when realignment again raises its head.

Boom goes the dynamite.

7 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

It likely means we won't be going to the Big West as it's currently composed. However, as I've continued to say, insiders told me a year ago the administration had decided to just sit tight in the MWC until the B12 thing shakes out circa 2024-2025. Fresno and UNLV will obviously do the same and if all of us are rejected by the B12 when it realigns, we could go indy for football and take all the CSU schools out of the Big West to create our own conference for Olys. You only need eight to qualify for an NCAA bid and with those four CSU schools plus Hawaii, there would be eight and if CSUB would also join, there would be nine. UNR might also be interested in coming along and we could cobble together a sort of independent football conference. (The UC schools within the Big West could add more of their own kind or merge with the WAC.)

My thing is this. If K5James is correct, SDSU is going to get stuck playing in the Hawaii Bowl again which is bad enough. Much worse is we're going to get stuck playing Temple, which was about as good this year as Utah State. We Aztecs are just sick of having to deal with such garbage and if that's our bowl lot in life this year, it's going to be another strike against remaining in this mess under any circumstances when realignment again raises its head.

Well...if UNM continues its' current downward trajectory we will be left out of any positive scenario..

At that time we will grab NMSU, UTEP and other marginal misfits and form the new MW.

I think SDSU, UNLV and FSU are in a decent position...all things considered.

Best of luck to us all.

1 hour ago, LoboSage said:

Well...if UNM continues its' current downward trajectory we will be left out of any positive scenario..

At that time we will grab NMSU, UTEP and other marginal misfits and form the new MW.

I think SDSU, UNLV and FSU are in a decent position...all things considered.

Best of luck to us all.

But, Rebel football though.  No P5 conference is going to take us serious when we don't even take our own selves serious.  High school coach and a couple of Pac12 retread coordinators isn't the right formula.

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I don’t understand the “stuck” comment? Aren’t MWC bowls slotted? This year SDSU is no better than the 3rd best team in the MWC based on its play in conference? Whose fault is that? 

I don’t under how independence changes that equation? BYU plays in the same random bowls and it has a much larger following than SDSU? WTF am I missing?