Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Billings

2017-2018 coaching carousel

55 minutes ago, Lobo Amor said:

Lobos finally add to their coaching staff: CB coach Perry Eliano formally DC at Bowling Green & OLB coach Archie McDaniel formally LB coach at SMU.  McDaniel will be filling the 10th coaching position.

Lobos still need to hire an OC.

Man, signing day fast approaching.  Need to get that OC spot filled.

14 hours ago, Lobo Amor said:

I would be so sure yet, we wanted Eliano as our new CB coach since December but didn't hire him until this week. Morgan also had other offers to think about.

Interesting. Which other offers?

On 1/17/2018 at 9:47 AM, GoldenEagleAztec said:

Interesting. Which other offers?

Looks like Morgan is safe from UNM as the Lobos have offered the position to former associate head coach and co-offensive coordinator from Arizona Calvin Magee.

Rocky had mentioned that Morgan had three offers, which we were one but he didn't say any schools by name.

11 minutes ago, ExplorerSunDevil said:

Saban turned around Kiffin, now he is embracing the challenge of turning around Locksley.

I don't know if he has turned around Kiffin.  Kiffin was always a brilliant OC, just not a great HC.  I'm sure he learned a lot from Saban about having a system in place, but I think the jury is still out on Kiffin as a HC.

21 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

I don't know if he has turned around Kiffin.  Kiffin was always a brilliant OC, just not a great HC.  I'm sure he learned a lot from Saban about having a system in place, but I think the jury is still out on Kiffin as a HC.

Well, I guess you are right about that. I was sort of thinking about his image more so than his coaching abilities.

4 minutes ago, ExplorerSunDevil said:

Well, I guess you are right about that. I was sort of thinking about his image more so than his coaching abilities.

Gotcha.  I would mostly agree.  I find Kiffin funny with his Twitter antics but I know it rubs some people the wrong way.  He is winning as well, people put up with more while they are winning.

MWC football coaching moves to date:

https://www.mwcconnection.com/2017/12/22/16811016/mwc-coaching-vacancies

Expect this list to grow and change over the coming weeks, especially as staff will be able to hire a 10th assistant in the coming days/weeks:

Departures:

• San Jose State OC/TE coach Andrew Sowder will become the OC at Kent State
  • San Jose State DB coach Will Harris will become a coach at University or Washington
  • San Diego State DC/Secondary coach Danny Gonzales will become the DC at Arizona State
  • San Diego State Recruiting Coordinator Tony White is taking a position at Arizona State
  • San Diego State QB coach is the new OC at New Mexico
  • Sand Diego State ST coach Bobby Hauck was named the Head Coach at Montana
  • Hawaii OL coach Chris Naeole resigned in October.
  • Hawaii DC Legi Suiaunoa accepted a job at Oregon State
  • Hawaii WR coach Kefense Hynson accepted a job at Oregon State.
  • Boise State DL coach Steve Caldwell has accepted the same job at Arkansas
  • Boise State CB coach Ashley Ambrose accepted a job at Colorado
  • Boise State Director of Program Development Chris Ross will be named the Head Coach at Red Oak HS.

Additions:

• Hawaii has hired Corey Batoon as their new DC
  • Hawaii has hired Mark Banker as LB/ Asst HC
  • Hawaii has hired Mark Weber as OL coach
  • Hawaii has hired Ricky Logo as DL coach
  • Hawaii has hired Andrew Allen as WR coach
  • Boise State has hired Chad Kauha’aha’a as their DL coach.
  • Boise State hired Spencer Danielson (who was a defensive GA for them) as their 10th coach to continue working with the hybrid STUD position.
  • Wyoming has hired Ben Iannacchione and Eric Donoval as their Director and Associate Director of Sports Performance.
  • Wyoming promoted Gordie Haug to RB coach. He was previously their recruiting coordinator.
  • San Diego State promoted Doug Deakin to Special Teams/TE coach.
  • San Diego State hired Richard Sanchez as their new DB coach.
  • San Diego State promoted LB coach Zach Arnett to DC (per the San Diego Union Tribune)
  • San Diego State promoted director of player personnel Kevin McGarry to recruiting coordinator (per the San Diego Union Tribune)
  • Nevada has elevated Tommy Perry from special teams analyst to Special Teams coordinator.
  • UNLV hired Tim Skipper as their DC (had been on Florida’s staff)
  • UNLV hired Al Simmons as Safeties coach
  • UNLV RB coach Travis Burkett has added Special Teams Coordinator to his duties
  • Colorado State hired Derrick Ansley (DB coach at Alabama) as their DC.
  • Colorado State hired Eric Lewis (QC at Tennessee) as their CB coach
  • Colorado State hired Dave Johnson as OL coach and run-game coordinator
  • Colorado State hired Chase Gibson as LB coach and Special Teams coordinator
  • Colorado State hired Keith Gilmore as DL coach
  • New Mexico hired Calvin McGee as it’s OC/RB coach (He was the Co-OC and Associate Head Coach at Arizona)
  • New Mexico hired Archie McDaniel as OLB coach
  • New Mexico hired Perry Eliano as CB coach and Special Teams Coordinator
  • San Jose State promoted Fred Guidici as their Special Teams Coordinator (Was brought back as a Quality Control coach this season)
  • San Jose State hired Kevin McGiven (former Oregon State OC/QB coach) as their OC.
  • Utah State has hired Keith Patterson as DC and safeties coach. He was previously the DC and LB coach at Arizona State.