Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jackmormon

Net neutrality repeal imminent...

9 hours ago, I am Ram said:

Ladies and gentlemen...the board's greatest sheep who isn't a CSU fan! :Clapping:

If I had said "anything that Obama was involved with, I'll automatically reject it", then you might have some kind of a small point. Raising a red flag just means 'caution' and a closer look into something. Certainly there are things that Obama did that I think were just fine. But there's a lot that I didn't agree with, and therefore always want to take a closer look at the situation. That's pretty much common sense, not a silly mascot.??

kat.jpg

12 hours ago, I am Ram said:

It's almost like population density directly correlates with the cost of providing utilities, weird

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

12 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

Looks like a good thing to repeal it. Anything that Obama had his hand in raises red flags for me.

Ding ding ding....you represent most Republicans these days.  "If Obama was for it, I am against it."  No more in depth analysis needed!  

Posted Image

2 hours ago, happycamper said:

It's almost like population density directly correlates with the cost of providing utilities, weird

It's almost like the ISPs' profit margins directly correlate with the cost of providing utilities, weird.

1 minute ago, I am Ram said:

It's almost like the ISPs' profit margins directly correlate with the cost of providing utilities, weird.

This is a nonsense statement

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

2 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

If I had said "anything that Obama was involved with, I'll automatically reject it", then you might have some kind of a small point. Raising a red flag just means 'caution' and a closer look into something. Certainly there are things that Obama did that I think were just fine. But there's a lot that I didn't agree with, and therefore always want to take a closer look at the situation. That's pretty much common sense, not a silly mascot.??

Let's not pretend Obama came up with the idea of net neutrality. Most advanced nations have rules in place that enforce NN to some degree. 

Just now, happycamper said:

This is a nonsense statement

Okay. Then tell me how come that local for-profit ISPs in America (other than subsidized municipal ones) aren't significantly cheaper than the big guys. They don't have to deal with covering unprofitable low-density populations, so according to your logic, they should be MUCH cheaper than the national competition. But they aren't. 

12 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

Okay. Then tell me how come that local for-profit ISPs in America (other than subsidized municipal ones) aren't significantly cheaper than the big guys. They don't have to deal with covering unprofitable low-density populations, so according to your logic, they should be MUCH cheaper than the national competition. But they aren't. 

One, look up "profit margin"

Two, provide a link

Three, recognize that American cities are already built much less densely than in other nations

Four, why wouldn't the "big guys" charge more for rural areas? That has nothing to do with the nationwide average cost of internet as shown in your chart

2 hours ago, Akkula said:

Ding ding ding....you represent most Republicans these days.  "If Obama was for it, I am against it."  No more in depth analysis needed!  

It's a silly way to approach policy, but let's not pretend that the reverse isn't true. That's how both sides view things. 

3 hours ago, Akkula said:

This seems like another example of a large segment of Americans supporting ideology over self interest.

Your ISP does not have near the info on you that Google, Facebook, Amazon and Apple have.   Your ISP might show which websites you go to, but on most of them they don't know what your looking at in there and they don't have all your personal info.  There are some aspects to the Net Neutrality law that would be good, but to much of it penalizes ISP's without doing anything about these companies like Google that are monetizing your internet clicks.