Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Audiobooks

1 hour ago, mysfit said:

My commute isn't very long but I did find I had to switch to classical music to try and 'maintain an even strain' on the roads.

I'll have to try some audio books.

I started with audiobooks about a year ago and my road rage had dropped exponentially. Great distraction for easy commutes.

I enjoy audible books. I don't have a long commute so I don't listen very often in the car except if I am taking a long trip but I like to listen doing chores/mowing the lawn and I'll listen at work if I am doing something that doesn't require a lot of concentration(even then I have to use the rewind button quite a bit). I am on the 3rd mistborn book and have enjoyed the series. They are the first Sanderson books I have read so your discussions about his universe are mostly going over my head. Was that a good place to start? Where should I go next?

I am actually on a break from Mistborn because my wife and I were going on a trip and I wanted to get something I thought she would enjoy along with me. She doesn't read much but enjoyed reading The Hunger Games and a couple other similar YA books. I looked around Audible and found one I thought would work for her as well as me. I downloaded "Red Rising" by Pierce Brown. She ended up not really paying attention on our trip and not that interested while I got hooked and am currently finishing up the final book of the trilogy and there is a first book of a second trilogy that recently came out. NOt sure if these books are considered YA or not but they have been actually really great. The first book especially seemed like a Hunger Games rip-off at times but it changes direction and goes some interesting places. I would highly recommend them for some easy reading/listening Sci-Fi.

My first Sanderson books were the original Mistborn trilogy, so I say it's a good spot to start. I still haven't read all of his books yet to be honest... he's been too prolific for me to keep up with. 

If you like easy reading/listening YA stuff, check out Sanderson's The Reckoners trilogy. They're set in a post-apocalyptic earth, and are pretty entertaining, and aren't a part of the Cosmere at all. 

1 hour ago, tspoke said:

I enjoy audible books. I don't have a long commute so I don't listen very often in the car except if I am taking a long trip but I like to listen doing chores/mowing the lawn and I'll listen at work if I am doing something that doesn't require a lot of concentration(even then I have to use the rewind button quite a bit). I am on the 3rd mistborn book and have enjoyed the series. They are the first Sanderson books I have read so your discussions about his universe are mostly going over my head. Was that a good place to start? Where should I go next?

I am actually on a break from Mistborn because my wife and I were going on a trip and I wanted to get something I thought she would enjoy along with me. She doesn't read much but enjoyed reading The Hunger Games and a couple other similar YA books. I looked around Audible and found one I thought would work for her as well as me. I downloaded "Red Rising" by Pierce Brown. She ended up not really paying attention on our trip and not that interested while I got hooked and am currently finishing up the final book of the trilogy and there is a first book of a second trilogy that recently came out. NOt sure if these books are considered YA or not but they have been actually really great. The first book especially seemed like a Hunger Games rip-off at times but it changes direction and goes some interesting places. I would highly recommend them for some easy reading/listening Sci-Fi.

Most of Sanderson's books take place in different planets of the same universe, with 16 parts of God broken up and distributed as smaller gods to different planets. Scadrial, where the Mistborn books take place, has 2 gods. some have more, some have less. Reading order:

Mistborn -> Elantris -> Warbreaker -> Way of Kings (and then the rest of the Stormlight Archive), there are various novellas on the kindle, I heartily recommend getting them. 

Outside of that... I really, really enjoyed the Reckoners trilogy. YA stuff, but funny and quick reads. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

43 minutes ago, retrofade said:

My first Sanderson books were the original Mistborn trilogy, so I say it's a good spot to start. I still haven't read all of his books yet to be honest... he's been too prolific for me to keep up with. 

If you like easy reading/listening YA stuff, check out Sanderson's The Reckoners trilogy. They're set in a post-apocalyptic earth, and are pretty entertaining, and aren't a part of the Cosmere at all. 

Yeah, I've joyed the mistborn books quite a bit. Haven't loved them but are very entertaining. Will check out the others after I'm done but I agree he is so prolific it seems a bit daunting to get involved with. This "Red Rising" series is the first YA book I've read since I was a YA. Seems a bit more adult than young to me but I guess since I haven't read others I wouldn't know(and the Hunger Games movies were violent).

I have a friend that keeps getting me into book series that aren't finished. He originally hooked me on "Game of Thrones" back before the show. He got me on the "Kingkiller Chronicles"(which I assume most of the fantasy readers here have read or know about but I haven't seen it mentioned, if you haven't check it out. One of the best) and then got me hooked on "The Lies of Locke LaMora" series(a great series about thieves sort of Oceans 11 in a fantasy world). So that is at least 3 series that I am patiently waiting for the next book. Trying to find new books in the meantime. He also tried to get me into the "First Law" series and I have been reading it but I have never been able to keep with it long enough to get hooked.

On 11/27/2017 at 2:03 PM, happycamper said:

Most of Sanderson's books take place in different planets of the same universe, with 16 parts of God broken up and distributed as smaller gods to different planets. Scadrial, where the Mistborn books take place, has 2 gods. some have more, some have less. Reading order:

Mistborn -> Elantris -> Warbreaker -> Way of Kings (and then the rest of the Stormlight Archive), there are various novellas on the kindle, I heartily recommend getting them. 

Outside of that... I really, really enjoyed the Reckoners trilogy. YA stuff, but funny and quick reads. 

So, I just finished the Wax and Wayne series (well, those that have been released).... I freaking loved them. 

14 hours ago, retrofade said:

So, I just finished the Wax and Wayne series (well, those that have been released).... I freaking loved them. 

They are awesome. Since this thread, we've listened to "The Name Of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss... highly recommended.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 9:00 AM, retrofade said:

Between family, work, and school, I have found that I have less and less time these days to sit down and read a book. So I decided to get an Audible subscription and try out audiobooks to listen to during my commute, since it's 30-40 minutes now as compared to 10 at my last job. I'm really enjoying it so far, and I've only gotten through 3/4 of one book in the last few weeks since I started. It made air travel go really quickly last week as well. 

I strongly recommend it for people who can't sit down and read a book for an extended period of time, but who spend a lot of time in their cars, public transportation, or flying.

Pro-tip. Listen at 1 1/4 speed. You'll get through books a little faster and it's still easy to understand.

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

They are awesome. Since this thread, we've listened to "The Name Of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss... highly recommended.

"Name of the Wind" is amazing as is the next book. Who knows how long till the 3rd book in the series comes out. Really looking forward to what they do with the movies/tv series for it.

Since the last time this thread was bumped I finished the "Red Rising" trilogy and have read the first book that just came out of the sequel trilogy. I highly recommend them. As the series has gone on it seemed less and less like a YA series. The first book had a lot of Hunger Games/Enders game to it but the later books much less so. Forgive the awful description but sometimes it was more like Game of Thrones in Space, with Great houses fighting each other with betrayals etc. Now the writing is not up to the level of Game of Thrones or a "Name of the Wind" but it is a good exciting read/listen. It has a first person POV so it took me a while to get used to the style but it worked well for the story it is telling.

I have now finished up the rest of the Cosmere novels and short stories that I hadn't read up until this point. I took a brief journey to revisit my favorite Clone Wars character, Ahsoka, and then a jaunt into the post energy crisis and 1980s obsessed 2040s in the form of Ready Player One.  I'm now on to the Riyria Revelations by Michael J. Sullivan; I'm still in the first book, but it's really entertaining so far. 

On 2/23/2018 at 11:56 AM, THEUniversityofNevada said:

Pro-tip. Listen at 1 1/4 speed. You'll get through books a little faster and it's still easy to understand.

Good tip.

I never listen to anything less than 2x speed these days.  After you get used to listening faster 1x sounds soooooo slooooooow.  Depending on the reader I adjust the speed faster - also depends on if you are doing something else at the same time, etc.

God is a Cowboy

WYO.jpg

On 2/23/2018 at 1:56 PM, THEUniversityofNevada said:

That was an excellent tip. I can't go much past 1.25 because I start to miss things if my attention wanders, but it works out just great at that speed.