Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bigd

The bowl selection process will be absolutely crazy this year

What are our MWC bowl conference tie-in ‘s for the Vegas, Potato, Hawaii, and  NM, Bowls? I hope we can avoid HAVING to play against lower G5 conferences. The aac or Mac would be good, but that’s aboit it imo.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

6 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

What are our MWC bowl conference tie-in ‘s for the Vegas, Potato, Hawaii, and  NM, Bowls? I hope we can avoid HAVING to play against lower G5 conferences. The aac or Mac would be good, but that’s aboit it imo.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/5/29/15709664/bowl-tie-ins-conferences-2017-season

LV is vs Pac 12, NM is vs C-USA, Hawaii is AAC, Potato is MAC, Arizona is Sun Belt.  

Depending on how things shake out, we could have 7 bowl eligible teams..BSU, SDSU, FS, Wyo, CSU, USU, and maybe UNLV.   

13 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

You’re like that dude in The Mummy always saying “it’s cursed”.

you are correct though, it’s always like that Brady bunch two part episode over there for the Dogs.

i don't ever want to see us in that bowl again, i don't care if we play the shittiest 5-7 high APR C-USA team imaginable in new mexico or something just keep us out of hawaii

46 minutes ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/5/29/15709664/bowl-tie-ins-conferences-2017-season

LV is vs Pac 12, NM is vs C-USA, Hawaii is AAC, Potato is MAC, Arizona is Sun Belt.  

Depending on how things shake out, we could have 7 bowl eligible teams..BSU, SDSU, FS, Wyo, CSU, USU, and maybe UNLV.   

What a bunch of shit bowls we're stuck with.  I want us in a post-Xmas bowl so we can highlight Penny.  He'll be forgotten in a mid-December bowl, no matter what he does. 

The Heart of Dallas would be a perfect fit.  It's a Big 12 team against,..........(drum roll please) a C-USA team.  Imagine that!!  That parasite Thompson is totally worthless.

37 minutes ago, HylianHero said:

I will take anything but the Potato Bowl or a bowl against a MWC opponent. Knowing Thompson we might get both of those! CSU vs. USU in Idaho!

I'm telling you, that worthless POS is leading us to oblivion.  How can our next TV contract be reasonable by playing in these lowly early bowls?  The key is to try to get invites to better late season bowls for our conference champion and the upper echelon teams.  All he's done over the years is add more Mickey Mouse bowls for us to play in.  Having a winning record in these shit bowls is nothing but a blip on the national radar. JMO

HylianHero...I hope that doesn't happen, it would be bad enough to have to play a conference opponent...but I fear you guys would kick our asses as bad or worse than you did in Logan last month.  With that said, I'd be fine with the Aggies taking the Potato Bowl this year.  We don't really deserve anything better and fan support would be good from our side, plus it gives us a better shot at getting a potential 8th win (big assumption that we beat AF on the road) and a 4 game winning streak leading into next season.  

5 minutes ago, aztech said:

I'm telling you, that worthless POS is leading us to oblivion.  How can our next TV contract be reasonable by playing in these lowly early bowls?  The key is to try to get invites to better late season bowls for our conference champion and the upper echelon teams.  All he's done over the years is add more Mickey Mouse bowls for us to play in.  Having a winning record in these shit bowls is nothing but a blip on the national radar. JMO

The incessant whining about this is freaking unbelievable.

Bring in whoever you want as commissioner, for the umpteenth time......it's demographics and time zones!!!

Ain't nothin' gonna change that.

29 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Bring in whoever you want as commissioner, for the umpteenth time......it's demographics and time zones!!!

Are you actually defending Thompson?

1 minute ago, MWC said:

Are you actually defending Thompson?

Yes, I supposed to an extent, I am.

I'll defer to the university presidents, who have seen fit to keep him around, versus message board bomb throwers who have no real experience running a university or an athletic department.

2 hours ago, HylianHero said:

I will take anything but the Potato Bowl or a bowl against a MWC opponent. Knowing Thompson we might get both of those! CSU vs. USU in Idaho!

If it would mean another school would want to toss his sorry ass it would be well worth it.

At 600K grand per, aztech's term parasite is spot on for that guy.

Boom goes the dynamite.

6 hours ago, retrofade said:

Right now, there are 70 Bowl Eligible teams, which gives us 8 slots left. There are 18 teams with 5 wins already, and eight of those teams go head to head, which means we're at a minimum of 74/78 full. Then you have Florida State who is sitting at 4-6 with two games left to play after their game with ULM was rescheduled for championship week. That leaves us with a likely 11 teams battling it out for four open slots. 

There is a good thread about this on the USU board. As you said, there are currently 70 bowl eligible teams, and there will be at least 74 eligible teams after this week because 8 5-6 teams play each other. Of the remaining 13 teams, almost all of them are underdogs (in many cases major underdogs) in their remaining game or games. (Aside from Florida State, ULM and New Mexico State are at 4-6 and could become bowl eligible. ULM will be major underdogs in both games, so they are an extreme long shot. But FSU and NMSU both have a good chance.) So when all is said and done most likely the number of eligible teams will be very close to the number of bowl slots. It's even conceivable a 5-7 team or two ends up in bowls. But there is a good chance that a few bowl eligible teams get left home. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, because there is a good chance USU stays home if there are too many eligible teams, particularly if we don't beat Air Force this weekend.

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

Yes, I supposed to an extent, I am.

I'll defer to the university presidents, who have seen fit to keep him around, versus message board bomb throwers who have no real experience running a university or an athletic department.

Seriously. The conference commissioner is a convenient scapegoat when schools are unhappy with their bowl situation/TV contract/whatever. If you read message boards, virtually all fans of all conferences hate their conference commissioner. Unfortunately, the MWC's main problem isn't Thompson but rather the fact that not very many people want to watch our games on TV. As long as that's the case, there is virtually nothing Thompson can do to get us better bowl matchups unless you want him to start sending hookers and blow to the hotel rooms of bowl game commissioners. If a non-MWC team will draw better ratings than an MWC team, there is nothing Thompson can do to convince a bowl to accept the MWC team.

2 hours ago, StanfordAggie said:

There is a good thread about this on the USU board. As you said, there are currently 70 bowl eligible teams, and there will be at least 74 eligible teams after this week because 8 5-6 teams play each other. Of the remaining 13 teams, almost all of them are underdogs (in many cases major underdogs) in their remaining game or games. (Aside from Florida State, ULM and New Mexico State are at 4-6 and could become bowl eligible. ULM will be major underdogs in both games, so they are an extreme long shot. But FSU and NMSU both have a good chance.) So when all is said and done most likely the number of eligible teams will be very close to the number of bowl slots. It's even conceivable a 5-7 team or two ends up in bowls. But there is a good chance that a few bowl eligible teams get left home. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, because there is a good chance USU stays home if there are too many eligible teams, particularly if we don't beat Air Force this weekend.

Yep. Unfortunately for UNLV, I think that even if they beat Nevada, they're going to be on the bottom of the 6-6 group due to their loss to Howard. So I'm hoping that the rest of the 5-6 teams lose this weekend so they can get in. I only mentioned Florida State in the 4-6 group because I think they're the only ones that realistically have a chance of making it to 6-6... I mean, New Mexico has a chance, but I'd put their odds at very low at this juncture. 

4 hours ago, renoskier said:

I had already figured a newby member would be rebellious to my comments, after Hair rescued them from their hopeless situation.

1 hour ago, retrofade said:

Yep. Unfortunately for UNLV, I think that even if they beat Nevada, they're going to be on the bottom of the 6-6 group due to their loss to Howard. So I'm hoping that the rest of the 5-6 teams lose this weekend so they can get in. I only mentioned Florida State in the 4-6 group because I think they're the only ones that realistically have a chance of making it to 6-6... I mean, New Mexico has a chance, but I'd put their odds at very low at this juncture. 

NMSU's two remaining games are against 3-7 Idaho and 4-7 South Alabama. Right now NMSU is favored by a touchdown against Idaho, and they'll probably be favored against South Alabama by a similar amount. So there is a very good chance that NMSU finishes at 6-6. It would be their first bowl game in over 50 years if they are invited. I do agree that ULM has almost no chance of becoming bowl eligible.

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

If committed spots aren't filled, do bowls get to invite whoever they want? I know APR comes into it when 5-7 teams are considered but is there any pecking order for 6-6 teams?

Unless things have changed over the past few years I don't think there is. The bowls can invite whichever 6-6 team they want (unless that team has 2 wins over FCS teams).