Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I am Ram

My wife just spent $60 on...

... taking two kids to the movies. My wife has been a big sister in the Big Brothers/Big Sisters program for several years. Today she took her little sister and one of our kids to see Thor. She payed a total of 60 bucks - $27 for the tickets and about $30 for a popcorn, a box of candy, and three drinks. 

I'm not really a moviegoer and have no idea what prices are like. Please tell me these are not normal prices.

2 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

... taking two kids to the movies. My wife has been a big sister in the Big Brothers/Big Sisters program for several years. Today she took her little sister and one of our kids to see Thor. She payed a total of 60 bucks - $27 for the tickets and about $30 for a popcorn, a box of candy, and three drinks. 

I'm not really a moviegoer and have no idea what prices are like. Please tell me these are not normal prices.

It is truly out of control at movie theaters these days.

10 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

Seems a few bucks high on the treats. 

7 minutes ago, toonkee said:

It is truly out of control at movie theaters these days.

It is what it is. 

2 hours ago, I am Ram said:

Congratulate her for not being a cheap ass and spending a few bucks you could obviously spare to make a nice memory.

Buy her a big purse and send her to the Stop and Rob before she goes to the movies. It will be much cheaper to load up on candy bars, licorice, Etc.

B)

In all seriousness, big brothers and big sisters seems to be a great organization. I don't know a whole lot about them however when I can't attend Fresno State Games, I donate my tickets to their organization.

110926run_defense710.jpg

24 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

Buy her a big purse and send her to the Stop and Rob before she goes to the movies. It will be much cheaper to load up on candy bars, licorice, Etc.

B)

In all seriousness, big brothers and big sisters seems to be a great organization. I don't know a whole lot about them however when I can't attend Fresno State Games, I donate my tickets to their organization.

That's a good idea.

In the case of ticket donations, don't forget the tax write-off. Check with mug or some of the other CPA, candy from the Stop and Rob maybe tax-deductible too if you get a receipt.

110926run_defense710.jpg

The prices have been high for a long time. My understanding is very little of the ticket price goes to the theater.  It all goes to the distributor/filmmakers.  Theaters make their money on concessions.

So they adopted the defense contractor mentality and treat everyone like they were the pentagon and a government contract. :lol:

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

5 hours ago, Boise fan said:

The prices have been high for a long time. My understanding is very little of the ticket price goes to the theater.  It all goes to the distributor/filmmakers.  Theaters make their money on concessions.

So they adopted the defense contractor mentality and treat everyone like they were the pentagon and a government contract. :lol:

That's what I thought too and From what I read, theaters get about 10 percent of the profit That a showing makes. The revenue is calculated not from the movie but from the actual ads and trailers beforehand and theaters will only show ads and trailers that they themselves will feature in the upcoming months. So in short, theaters make $0 on a film but a small percentage on trailers.

The prices tho are ridiculous. A bottle of water is 4-6 bucks while a large popcorn is 10-12. And that's here is Idaho!

Depends on how you look at it, I guess. A couple of hours of entertainment for under $10/person. Overpriced snacks, that no one is forcing you to buy. I usually take the kids to Saturday matinée, use theater chain coupons  for snacks and save a few bucks, but even at full price, way cheaper than taking them to a football or basketball game.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

23 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Congratulate her for not being a cheap ass and spending a few bucks you could obviously spare to make a nice memory.

Of course. When you go out, you go out - no point in pinching pennies. But it's still an awful lot of money for a movie and some bad candy.

22 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

B)

That's awesome! They love ticket donations. BBBS is a good organization. Little side note: There is a stereotype that all these kids are in the program because at least one parent is in prison or abandoned the family. I'm sure there are cases like that, but our little sister's family is pretty awesome. The father works his ass of and speaks very little English (they're Mexican). The mother speaks much better English than she used to, but she doesn't have a lot of education and she told us she know they knew they couldn't provide their kids with enough exposure to English and to people outside their Hispanic friends and neighborhood. So their main goal for enrolling both their kids in BBBS was to give them that exposure. Smart. Unfortunately, they moved from Oregon, where community college is free, across the river to Washington, so we want to set up a fund that will help our little sister to get a degree when she graduates from high school. 

21 hours ago, edluvar said:

Wait a month then go to the "dollar theaters".  $5 gets you a ticket, soda, popcorn/candy.   There are quite a few in Boise at least.   

We have a beautiful old theater in the neighborhood. It does show first-run movies, so you gotta pay full for tickets, but they have beer and pizza, and prices for concessions are about what you pay at a pub. Plus, no one looks at you weird when you take your 5-year-old to see the new Star Wars movies.