Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

415hawaiiboy

Ever notice Fox News headlines target White (mostly rural) America

I’m an amateur sociologist who has a keen interest in geopolitics.  Whenever breaking news comes out, I check out a couple news sources to see their take (CNN, Fox News). I also recently watched a great interview on Charlie Rose with a New York Times columnist David Brooks, regarding elections and culture in America, and polarization.

https://charlierose.com/videos/31163

Basically, you won’t be effective telling someone from another culture what to do or how to think. You need voices within the same culture for the message to resonate.  

I also heard on the radio how a church minister from Alabama was describing Roy Moore as a good man.  When asked whether he would ever vote for the Democrat candidate if indeed Moore was guilty, he said never.  His strong Christian beliefs preclude him from ever supporting liberalism which was the Democrat. Very interesting how being “Christian” is Republican idealism. At least that is the message in some parts of the country. 

Fox News.com headlines many times has a white or southern twang or slang. “Reckoning” “Pull the Plug”.  Little things like that could resonate in peoples’ minds subconsciously.  What is also interesting is mass murders using high powered guns in mostly red states may create more similar culture opposing view points that could be more effective.  I believe taking national politics out of local/regional cultural disputes would also reduce polarization (ie confederate monuments, special elections).

Just some observations.  Maybe CNN needs a white, southern (but maybe not Atlanta-based) version to better connect, and Fox needs a Left Coast/Northeast/urban/college educated/multicultural version.  Or we just need more truely balanced reporting (would that have been World News Tonight with Peter Jennings? Or 60 Minutes?).

I watch Fox news sometimes, and watch Fox Business channel and CNBC mostly.  Believe it or not several shows on the Fox news channels have criticisms of Trump and Republicans in general.  Also criticisms of things like Roy Moore.  Sheppard Smith on Fox criticizes Trump regularly.  On some shows, people like Maria Bartiromo and Shannon Breem ask questions or express opinions that make their conservative guests uncomfortable.  Obviously on some shows like Hannity or Lou Dobbs they have more of an ax to grind.  The only shows I like to watch myself are Kennedy on Fox Business and Cramer on CNBC.  Any other show is hit or miss sometimes. 

But saying Fox news doesn't report certain things... I've gone to MSNBC where something important happened that day and their lead story was Russian investigation.  They and CNN have been playing that up so much that even the biggest Trump haters are tired of it!

I’m 3% Native American and this is my opinion .White (fox) watching people are killIng this beautiful land. Theyre the same people that dress as me for Halloween and watch Disney movies about The genocide of my people turned into a cartoon musical.With a singing raccoon? I mean, think about it, . The real story of Pocahontas is about a bunch of white boys who come to my land, bribe the corrupt Indian chief, kill off all the warriors and +++++ the Indian princess silly. Would the white man make a story about Auschwitz, where the inmate falls in love with the guard and they go off singing love songs with dancing swastikas? Makes me sad 

5 minutes ago, Nevada Hal said:

I’m 3% Native American and this is my opinion .White (fox) watching people are killIng this beautiful land. Theyre the same people that dress as me for Halloween and watch Disney movies about The genocide of my people turned into a cartoon musical.With a singing raccoon? I mean, think about it, . The real story of Pocahontas is about a bunch of white boys who come to my land, bribe the corrupt Indian chief, kill off all the warriors and +++++ the Indian princess silly. Would the white man make a story about Auschwitz, where the inmate falls in love with the guard and they go off singing love songs with dancing swastikas? Makes me sad 

You should have moved the 3% part to the very end.  You would have triggered a few right up to the end.

2 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

You should have moved the 3% part to the very end.  You would have triggered a few right up to the end.

Rusty on Mwc board BS. give me a couple of days to get back into the game

3 hours ago, edluvar said:

I do this everyday.   It's hilarious what Fox covers or doesn't cover that other major media outlets do.   

It is hilarious what CNN doesn't cover that Fox news does.

You partisan idiot, that is why we have freedom of speech.  So a story about a crooked democratic Senators trial actually makes the paper instead of being hidden on the far back page or not written about at all.

14 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

It is hilarious what CNN doesn't cover that Fox news does.

You partisan idiot, that is why we have freedom of speech.  So a story about a crooked democratic Senators trial actually makes the paper instead of being hidden on the far back page or not written about at all.

Yep fix digs deep for any crimes committed against snowflakes by evil immigrants.  They are really good at it.  

Posted Image

1 hour ago, Nevada Hal said:

10 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

You aren't even smart enough to understand the conversation.

Just another fascist lover.

Have to go someplace to cipher what the rednecks are talking about.  Fox provides a community service 

Posted Image

5 hours ago, 415hawaiiboy said:

I’m an amateur sociologist who has a keen interest in geopolitics.  Whenever breaking news comes out, I check out a couple news sources to see their take (CNN, Fox News). I also recently watched a great interview on Charlie Rose with a New York Times columnist David Brooks, regarding elections and culture in America, and polarization.

https://charlierose.com/videos/31163

Basically, you won’t be effective telling someone from another culture what to do or how to think. You need voices within the same culture for the message to resonate.  

I also heard on the radio how a church minister from Alabama was describing Roy Moore as a good man.  When asked whether he would ever vote for the Democrat candidate if indeed Moore was guilty, he said never.  His strong Christian beliefs preclude him from ever supporting liberalism which was the Democrat. Very interesting how being “Christian” is Republican idealism. At least that is the message in some parts of the country. 

Fox News.com headlines many times has a white or southern twang or slang. “Reckoning” “Pull the Plug”.  Little things like that could resonate in peoples’ minds subconsciously.  What is also interesting is mass murders using high powered guns in mostly red states may create more similar culture opposing view points that could be more effective.  I believe taking national politics out of local/regional cultural disputes would also reduce polarization (ie confederate monuments, special elections).

Just some observations.  Maybe CNN needs a white, southern (but maybe not Atlanta-based) version to better connect, and Fox needs a Left Coast/Northeast/urban/college educated/multicultural version.  Or we just need more truely balanced reporting (would that have been World News Tonight with Peter Jennings? Or 60 Minutes?).

www.wsj.com

I try to avoid all media that offers free content like CNN, Fox News, USAtoday. MSN.com, yahoo, huffington post...

Free content providers are not interested in reporting impartial and fairly. They are more interested in ratings and clicks so they offer headlines and have guests on that whip their readers/viewers into a frenzy of hatred towards the other side. 

I prefer subscription based news sources like the Wall St Journal. a lot of times even the NY times is fair.  Just tell me the news, and i'll form my own opinion thank you very much. 

29 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

I try to avoid all media that offers free content like CNN, Fox News, USAtoday. MSN.com, yahoo, huffington post...

Free content providers are not interested in reporting impartial and fairly. They are more interested in ratings and clicks so they offer headlines and have guests on that whip their readers/viewers into a frenzy of hatred towards the other side. 

I prefer subscription based news sources like the Wall St Journal. a lot of times even the NY times is fair.  Just tell me the news, and i'll form my own opinion thank you very much. 

That makes sense to me. I subscribe to financial times, business week, local honolulu paper.  Wish I had Foriegn Policy.  

3 hours ago, Nevada Hal said:

Rusty on Mwc board BS. give me a couple of days to get back into the game

"back" in the game?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

I agree with pretty much what everyone above has posted.

My thought is that the most effective and impactful media in this country is the media that can serve the middle in our political spectrum.  We are arriving at a place where the moderate left is questioning the far left and the moderate right is questioning the far right.  The effectiveness of the far right demonizing the left and the far left demonizing the right has reached a point that is turning off more and more of the moderates.  I think the efforts of both extremes have lost a lot of punch.

A gut feel that I hope is right

The World Needs More Cowboys!

5 hours ago, Nevada Hal said:

3% eh? :blink: