Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NWRebel

UNLV Exhibition Game with Alaska - Fairbanks

11 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

He’s solid. Tbh I’m a little surprised. 

Trevell beck can shoot and will probably develop into a good player. I’m kind of liking him and Hardy, who is also good, but of the freshmen, diong is a beast, juice threw up an ally oop and he slammed It down. He’s missed about 3 other HARD ones, lol, guy plays scrappy as heck. 

Juiceton and Johnson are gold. Juiceton’s shot is smooth as silk, but he fights under the basket. 24 effortless points, he won’t be off the court much. Neither will Johnson, the kid sees the court and has made some fantastic passes. But can shoot. Even dembele has developed a nice little hook shot. 

You didn't say anything about Jovan.  Did he play?

5 minutes ago, NWRebel said:

Sounds like it was a good exhibition game to evaluate players.  I'm sure one or more freshmen will be red shirted.  I'll have to search the tv guides to find out when I will get to see this team.

Jay Green is the only freshman I see being redshirted.  Beck, Diong, Hardy, and McCoy will all play.  Coupet or Sljivancanin may be redshirted.

1 minute ago, NWRebel said:

You didn't say anything about Jovan.  Did he play?

Mooring looks really good, playing  within himself, he doesn’t have to try to do it all. Good shots, playing well off the ball. 

1 minute ago, ph90702 said:

Jay Green is the only freshman I see being redshirted.  Beck, Diong, Hardy, and McCoy will all play.  Coupet or Sljivancanin may be redshirted.

Green didn’t look bad, actually, when he was in. Georgie and coupet didn’t play, so who knows. 

7 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Mbacke Diong is going to be a man among boys.  He really could be at a big program.  He is a great get by Menzies.

That is absolute truth. The kid has some power, I can’t wait till he starts making those slams. But what I like most is the way he fights under the basket, he’s relentless. 

7 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

That is absolute truth. The kid has some power, I can’t wait till he starts making those slams. But what I like most is the way he fights under the basket, he’s relentless. 

His physical talent was obvious when I watched the highlight tapes.  I most look forward to watching him play.  He reminds me of Kevin Garnett.

Rebs have some big, athletic dudes. Looking forward to hopefully a couple (maybe 3) good old fashioned SDSU/UNLV wars. Maybe we even win one this year and break the beat down streak.

You never know how a team will progress, and I don't want to make any predictions, but I'm certain this isn't last year's team.

2 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

Absolutely. Most impressed so far with him, juiceron, and diong just brought he house down. He’s already better than dembele, even in his first game. It will take him a year or so, but he will be an absolute beast. Hardy looks pretty good, but looks like a freshman. Ckyburn playing hard. 

Juiston was the best player on the floor whenever he was on the floor, and I now believe he will finish the season at worst second team all-MWC.  I expected him to be a dominant rebounder but I haven't seen that yet.  But I did see solid play in and around the paint, and a surprisingly fluid 15-foot jump shooter.  It is nice to see a "power forward" who shows no interest in getting out on the perimeter on offense to jack up shots.  He moves well inside with the ball and wants to draw the defense and dish the ball to his taller teammates.

Mbacke "MBlocke" Diong was a surprise.  Despite his age (is he 18 yet) he seems ready to contribute minutes immediately.  I like how he really appears to enjoy playing the game.  Yes he is a project and has a long way to go, but he showed so much more potential tonight than Coupet or Djordjije showed at any point last season.

Dembele:  on the radio after the game Menzies said Dembele played better in the game against Cal.

Hardy looked good, but more of a scoring guard than a point guard.  Maybe he wasn't needed to be an assist guy tonight.

2 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

And smith looks good. Bigger than I thought, and is also playing hard. 

I was surprised by (Smith) setting up at the 3-point line and knocking it down.  That wasn't in my scouting report.  When he got the steal at mid-court I knew that would be a dunk.

And Jordy Johnson having only 3 assists, the same as "Mblocke" Diong?  What's with that?

It must be noted that Juiston/Dembele/Diong/Smith combined for 9 assists tonight.  That's an indicator of good interior ball movement.

Brandon McCoy could have played tonight if the game mattered.  I look forward to his debut next week. 

11 minutes ago, aztech said:

The FT ratio looks a little suspect.  Looks like the refs gave you homer calls. 

Alaska was a small and slow opponent.  When they got beat on a play they fouled.  It kind of paid off with UNLV shooting 57% at the line.

Alaska's offense involved a lot of jumpers, which don't draw a lot of fouls.  They attempted 34 3-pt shots.

6 hours ago, BleedRebelRed said:

And Jordy Johnson having only 3 assists, the same as "Mblocke" Diong?  What's with that?

It must be noted that Juiston/Dembele/Diong/Smith combined for 9 assists tonight.  That's an indicator of good interior ball movement.

Brandon McCoy could have played tonight if the game mattered.  I look forward to his debut next week. 

I’m not worried about Johnson’s assist total, there were a bunch of passes that the shooters missed, and some that the freshmen players didn’t know were coming their way. Great bounce pass to Beck under the basket comes to mind, (and I actually was kind of surprised with Beck, btw, he will contribute down the line) he zigged when Johnson anticipated for him to zag. It definitely looked like a first game with a lot of new players, lol.