Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mondego

NCAA Investigating BYU Bball Player/Booster Ties

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2017/10/27/byu-ncaa-investigating-boosters-ties-to-cougar-basketball-player-nick-emery/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter 

Is the stink from the football program carrying over to basketball? 

Provo • Brigham Young University and the NCAA are investigating whether a booster paid for travel to concerts and an amusement park for men’s basketball player Nick Emery and gave him use of a new car, documents and interviews show.

Yes, but did the booster ALSO provide socks? 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

18 minutes ago, mondego said:

It was this or another kick SJSU out thread. 

Touche my good man. Touche indeed. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

The part of the story that had me laughing is this:

On Oct. 17, as the men’s basketball team practiced at the Marriott Center Annex, a Tribune reporter in the parking lot found a Jetta with the same VIN as the one that had been registered to Tyndall. After practice, Emery walked to the Jetta. Emery stopped the car to talk to BYU Athletic Director Tom Holmoe before driving away in it.

I'm picturing the reporter in disguise sitting in his parked car with binoculars and breaking out his phone camera when he spots Emery leaving the facility.  Some solid detective work there!

I'm not too worried about it.  Both BYU (through the law firm retained to investigate and defend BYU) and the NCAA (notified after BYU received information) are investigating.  Emery isn't good enough to be breaking rules for.  He is a local kid who committed to BYU as a junior in high school--how much bribing would he need to stay there?  IF on the up and up, ownership transfer of the vehicle to his parents should be easily documented with a transaction of money somehow.  My kid drives a car I own at college.  It does seem kinda fishy that he would buy a 2017--put it in his name--and then sell it to Emery's parents within a year.  Unless he is one of these guys who does the short term lease all the time instead of keeping cars and dealing with maintenance.  If he is flying all over to see U2 in concert with his "friend"--once we get over his music choices--he (or family) should be paying his own way--which the booster claimed happened.  If he didn't he is dumb and deserves punishment.  What's even more weird about the situation is he comes from a pretty affluent neighborhood and it wouldn't seem like he needs the booster to buy him a car or he would be car-less.  Maybe it will turn out just like "sock-gate" did, who knows.

10 minutes ago, RiverCityBronco said:

A lot going on between Tyndall and Emery according to that article, trips together, gifts etc.  I wonder what else will be uncovered in the investigation. Not that there's anything wrong with that. 

Supposedly much of this was brought to light by Emery's ex-wife.  Yep, 23 and married/divorced already.  BYU is such a weird place.

v0icAvfW.jpg

53 minutes ago, Fido said:

The part of the story that had me laughing is this:

I'm picturing the reporter in disguise sitting in his parked car with binoculars and breaking out his phone camera when he spots Emery leaving the facility.  Some solid detective work there!

I'm not too worried about it.  Both BYU (through the law firm retained to investigate and defend BYU) and the NCAA (notified after BYU received information) are investigating.  Emery isn't good enough to be breaking rules for.  He is a local kid who committed to BYU as a junior in high school--how much bribing would he need to stay there?  IF on the up and up, ownership transfer of the vehicle to his parents should be easily documented with a transaction of money somehow.  My kid drives a car I own at college.  It does seem kinda fishy that he would buy a 2017--put it in his name--and then sell it to Emery's parents within a year.  Unless he is one of these guys who does the short term lease all the time instead of keeping cars and dealing with maintenance.  If he is flying all over to see U2 in concert with his "friend"--once we get over his music choices--he (or family) should be paying his own way--which the booster claimed happened.  If he didn't he is dumb and deserves punishment.  What's even more weird about the situation is he comes from a pretty affluent neighborhood and it wouldn't seem like he needs the booster to buy him a car or he would be car-less.  Maybe it will turn out just like "sock-gate" did, who knows.

So you are saying Cougarboard completed their investigation for the NCAA and found no violations?

32 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

what 23 year old college athlete hangs out with a fat accountant in his 40's

:blink:

Gotta admit, was thinking the same thing looking at the social media photos.  Just seemed weird to me.  Maybe there's some sort of tie there that pre-dates Emery's time at BYU????  Who knows, but the only 40 year olds I hung out with during my college years were family or close family friends.

v0icAvfW.jpg

1 hour ago, Del Scorcho said:

what 23 year old college athlete hangs out with a fat accountant in his 40's

:blink:

Here’s my guess on how it went down:

“Hey Dumbo ears, you pay with your card and I’ll just give you cash. That way, we have a paper trail for payment. Don’t worry, I already spoke to Holmoe and Dave Rose. As far as the car, I’ll create a pile of confusing paperwork that will never directly tie it to you. This isn’t my first Rodeo”