Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

renoskier

OT A question for our Mormon friends

Just now, renoskier said:

@Jack Bauer @Fido @NorCalCoug @Pelado

A LDS buddy just won a sizable cash raffle.

Isn't that considered gambling?

Is it all good if he tithes 10%?

If he takes me out to lunch, will he be upset if he has to pay for my beer?:D

I mean, by definition it's gambling, but usually those things (raffles) are often for fundraising so I have no idea.  Probably a grey area.  I wouldn't think too much of it, or if he tithes on it, or if he doesn't.  He should just do what he feels best about it.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

16 hours ago, renoskier said:

The LDS Church is strictly against gambling.  I think he should give me the money as recompense.  :woohoo:

Or just have him donate the use of some family property for a youth trip and call it even.  And he is just fine to pay for your beer--as long as he gives you the judgy slow head shake as you drink it.  

schmidt.jpg

19 hours ago, renoskier said:

From the Church's Handbook of Instructions:

Gambling and Lotteries

The Church opposes gambling in any form, including government-sponsored lotteries.

https://www.lds.org/handbook/handbook-2-administering-the-church/selected-church-policies?lang=eng#21.1.19

So, basically, he's going to hell unless he repents.  The repentance process, among other things, requires that all winnings be used for the building up of the BYU football team.

20 hours ago, Pelado said:

Gambling and Lotteries

The Church opposes gambling in any form, including government-sponsored lotteries.

https://www.lds.org/handbook/handbook-2-administering-the-church/selected-church-policies?lang=eng#21.1.19

So, basically, he's going to hell unless he repents.  The repentance process, among other things, requires that all winnings be used for the building up of the BYU football team.

At this point in time, it looks like he better win the PowerBall to get that done! :P

On 10/12/2017 at 2:00 PM, Pelado said:

Gambling and Lotteries

Maybe he'll just be stuck in Purgatory because I think he donated most of it to our daughter's soccer team.

On 10/12/2017 at 3:00 PM, Pelado said:

Gambling and Lotteries

This...  He must be made a public example of and undergo strict and severe shaming.

tenor.gif

v0icAvfW.jpg