Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Del Scorcho

whoa Oregon State pulls the trigger

1 hour ago, Del Scorcho said:

so GA essentially quit on his team at Wiscy and at OSU, and is pissed that he hired the wrong (expletives).  Who's fault is that?  All 10-11 staff members are bad hires?  That's a lame excuse.

that's not a good look, that will prohibit him from getting a head coaching job again or until he pays his dues again as a coordinator for several years.    

Those tweets are weird.  Dude sounds half nuts with all his exclamation points.  It seems like he is burnt out and has lost his perspective on things.  Guy needs a break.  And the kids on the team need a fresh start, that's not a healthy deal to have your coach feeling like he was.

I can't imagine just walking away from all that money unless your head isn't in the right place at that time.  I don't "respect" him for leaving the money on the table.  I don't condone him for it either.  But there has to be something more to it than him being a good Samaritan.  The normal thing to do would be to go through the motions the next month and then get shown the door near the end of the season like CTD did last year.  Maybe GA was super stressed out, or maybe he is just an emotional guy.  But it's weird as hell.

52 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

Those tweets are weird.  Dude sounds half nuts with all his exclamation points.  It seems like he is burnt out and has lost his perspective on things.  Guy needs a break.  And the kids on the team need a fresh start, that's not a healthy deal to have your coach feeling like he was.

I can't imagine just walking away from all that money unless your head isn't in the right place at that time.  I don't "respect" him for leaving the money on the table.  I don't condone him for it either.  But there has to be something more to it than him being a good Samaritan.  The normal thing to do would be to go through the motions the next month and then get shown the door near the end of the season like CTD did last year.  Maybe GA was super stressed out, or maybe he is just an emotional guy.  But it's weird as hell.

they're text messages to the reporter that were previously off the record, though i think they were released with anderson's consent.   I think he's mad stressed and just wanted a clean break from the biz of coaching.

1 hour ago, Del Scorcho said:

agreed, I heard someone say that Gary lost 25 pounds over the last few months, he probably needs to decompress for a bit.

Are USU fans done with Wells?  He's certainly been Jekyl and Hyde the last few years.

How do you fire Wells if they go to a bowl this year?  Most had USU at like four wins this year.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

1 hour ago, mondego said:

Exactly. The guy has a history of health problems related to football stress, so awhile off may be beneficial. 

Most USU fans I know are done with Wells, but pooling enough money to get rid of him may be an issue. The rumor is if he doesn't make a bowl he's gone. Not sure how accurate that is. 

Doesn't he have a year left after this?

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

3 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

so GA essentially quit on his team at Wiscy and at OSU, and is pissed that he hired the wrong (expletives).  Who's fault is that?  All 10-11 staff members are bad hires?  That's a lame excuse.

that's not a good look, that will prohibit him from getting a head coaching job again or until he pays his dues again as a coordinator for several years.    

Andersen sure threw this guy under the bus in those texts: http://www.osubeavers.com/coaches.aspx?rc=813&path=football

Pretty classless to say all that multiple times in writing to a reporter if you ask me. In giving it a second thought, however, I have to wonder whether the man hasn't had a nervous breakdown of sorts.

Boom goes the dynamite.

I don't believe that I would proclaim GA as an unbelievabe football coaching talent.

However, given the right resources, I believe that he can do much better than we have been doing since he left.

Dude has a good ability to motivate young men and to help their progression in becoming good people.  At the end of the day, isn't that what we all claim that it is all about?  And he knows how to win in the environment that exist Utah State.

1. He draws kids from places like Florida, California, and Texas that will fit with the environment in Utah

2. He may have a better coaching reputation and connections in the Poly community that any coach not named Kalani Sitake

3. He understands Utah High School Football and has countless connections and friends throughout Utah. 

4. He understands Utah kids well and works well with these kid's desires to do things like serve an LDS church mission.  He also utilizes these older kids well to bring stability, toughness, and leadership to the team.

5. Lastly, I think he understands the critical importance of balance and surrounding himself with talented coaches that can carry their load.

I'm not saying he wants to jump back in, but I would support him if he does.

3 hours ago, ole blu dude said:

Where did you get those numbers ?

It was discussed at the time. Utah's right to know had his salary listed in the 400k range. But with bonuses and other perks, it brought his compensation up closer to 700k

Matt Wells salary on Utah's right to know is listed at 485k. http://www.utahsright.com/salaries.php?city=usu

But this site comparing MWC HC salaries has him at 850k. http://projects.newsday.com/college-football-coaches-salaries-contracts/matt-wells/

10 minutes ago, jackmormon said:

It was discussed at the time. Utah's right to know had his salary listed in the 400k range. But with bonuses and other perks, it brought his compensation up closer to 700k

Matt Wells salary on Utah's right to know is listed at 485k. http://www.utahsright.com/salaries.php?city=usu

But this site comparing MWC HC salaries has him at 850k. http://projects.newsday.com/college-football-coaches-salaries-contracts/matt-wells/

I got my info from USA today which lists pay from other sources as well as school funds. It has Wells at about the same as what the MWC story has him at, but G.A. never got a bonus in his final year so his final salary was $415,000. The University increased football salaries when USU got into the MWC.

Wells did have a salary of $500,000 in his first year, but he is now at $800,00 and change.

2 hours ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

they're text messages to the reporter that were previously off the record, though i think they were released with anderson's consent.   I think he's mad stressed and just wanted a clean break from the biz of coaching.

Agreed

I meant  "I don't condemn"not condone btw.

On 10/11/2017 at 10:32 AM, Rofl_copter_dos said:

I'm so glad that Canzano is Oregons problem and not ours. Good Lord could you imagine him white, and warszawski.