Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheSanDiegan

Impact of climate change on commercial aviation

One of the artifacts of climate change - courtesy of the 1st Law of Thermodynamics - is that the net increase in solar irradiation results results in stronger wind fields both at the surface and at altitude. We see this at the surface level through increased wind events, such as the winds that drive the wildfires in the West (e.g., NOAA measured a 110 mph mircoburst here during the '07 wildfires).

Commercial aviation is impacted by this as well, as evidenced by recently published findings regarding the net increase (both current and projected) in severe turbulence at altitude (link). While the linked article was just published a few days ago, the same issue was discussed in back in April (link), as well as back in Sept 2016 (link). On my recent trip overseas, I encountered more turbulence than I have on any preceding flight in memory (I used to fly 30K-50K miles/year), with enough frequency to disrupt each meal service.

Another artifact is the crosswinds that commercial aircraft routinely encounter on landing. While the ubiquitous use of recording devices allows for these to be documented with greater frequency, the severity of these is, well, a little unnerving. This one was recorded just two days ago in Dusseldorf - wouldn't want to be stuck in the back of the bus on this landing:

Batshit insane crosswind landing are nothing new. But as winds increase in velocity, this will become more of an issue. 

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

4 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

I remember landing in strong crosswinds in an EMB-120 (back when United used to fly the Brasilias all over California, oh memories) at Arcata/Eureka (the airport is built on a bluff overlooking the ocean), and nearly going vertical the wrong way before being righted at the right time and landing. The Hasidic Jew sitting across the aisle from me was speaking in tongues. 

I guess I'd rather be trying to land in that than an A380 in similar conditions I guess. I will say though, the crosswinds make for great, ballsy take off and landing approaches at SFO. Great photo opportunities. 

Truth. Just flew into SFO last week. No wind-driven drama, but one of the most visually stunning approaches in the lower 48.

I was lucky (?) enough to have flown into Kai Tek on several occasions back in the 90s. The only thing more disconcerting than watching people exchange money in Kowloon during a 40ish degree bank on final is watching that shit happen from the terminal.

Mangalore is another anus tightener. There is literally zero runoff... the moment you rotate, the earth drops off.

I've experienced a lot of crosswind landings at DFW, in CRJs and MD-80s, back when I lived in San Antonio and flew up to Amarillo every six weeks or so. They weren't a lot of fun, a few of them not so dissimilar from the Dusseldorf landing above. I think that Dusseldorf has long been known for its significant wind issues, so it's not surprising that these types of issues are becoming more prevalent there. 

2 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

I always wish I had been able to fly into Kai Tak. That looked absolutely crazy. 

I think my favorite is Beirut, where you fly in along the city before landing right on the Mediterranean. LaGuardia is cool flying along Manhattan too. 

As far as crazy, I think flying into Eureka/Arcata in those props was a shitshow all the way around. I flew across Montana this summer in some little shitty Cessna on some shitty little airline and there were big fires all around and turbulent as hell. I was glad I had brought edibles back with me from California on that trip. I don't know how those guys saw anything. 

There's a strip in Tajikistan, I think it's in Khorog, that's more or less a strip of pavement/gravel bar along the Panj River. 

Never flown into Beirut or LGA (tho I'm thankful for the latter - not for the approach, but for the 3rd world rep LGA has). Not a fan of the puddle-skipping twin props, either.

Here's the only image I could find from Kai Tak, shot in or around '95, on the tarmac looking between #1 and #2 on a CX 744:

Kai_Tek95_800.jpg

Most recent trip was via SIN, which is as pleasant and efficient an airport to transit through as any in the world.

The current airport in HKG is still pretty windy when you land, Macau is pretty windy as well. 

I loved flying into Kansai in Osaka, the view of Kobe, Osaka and Kyoto as well as the bay is incredible 

To this day the worst was flying through the outer bands of a super typhoon in SE Asia, any time I've flown in and around Singapore I've hit unreal turbulence. 

Crazy thing is I recently flew from Narita to San Jose and we didn't hit one patch of turbulence until we were landing in SJC  

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

How you can tell "climate change " is in actuality a religion:

Its adherents can think of nothing positive that may result. Only doomsday, end times stuff.

A true end times eschatology, JUST LIKE FUNDAMENTALIST MUSLIMS AND CHRISTIANS.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

27 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

How you can tell "climate change " is in actuality a religion:

Its adherents can think of nothing positive that may result. Only doomsday, end times stuff.

A true end times eschatology, JUST LIKE FUNDAMENTALIST MUSLIMS AND CHRISTIANS.

4925.gif

2 hours ago, retrofade said:

4925.gif

So there are no positive outcomes to globalclimatewarmingchange that you can think of?

Give it a try.  Name one positive possible outcome to globalclimatewarmingchane

I dare you...

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

1 minute ago, SDSUfan said:

So there are no positive outcomes to globalclimatewarmingchange that you can think of?

Give it a try.  Name one positive possible outcome to globalclimatewarmingchane

I dare you...

There's no positive outcomes for nuclear war. I guess that's a religion as well. 

BTW: The assertion in the OP is pure bunkum. Utter, complete, evidence free horseshit.

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

BTW: The assertion in the OP is pure bunkum. Utter, complete, evidence free horseshit.

To be clear, you're stating that climate change is evidence free horseshit? 

2 minutes ago, retrofade said:

There's no positive outcomes for nuclear war. I guess that's a religion as well. 

Sure there are. Your enemies would be dead.

Your imagination utterly fails you. 

Name a positive outcome.

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

Just now, retrofade said:

To be clear, you're stating that climate change is evidence free horseshit? 

Did you read the OP?

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

Did you read the OP?

Given that I've been participating in the conversation, I'd say that you can logic that one out for yourself. 

That being said, are you disagreeing with climate change, or the First Law of Thermodynamics?

6 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

Sure there are. Your enemies would be dead.

Your imagination utterly fails you. 

Name a positive outcome.

and you've destroyed the world in the process.

1 hour ago, retrofade said:

Given that I've been participating in the conversation, I'd say that you can logic that one out for yourself. 

That being said, are you disagreeing with climate change, or the First Law of Thermodynamics?

The assertions; that there is more turbulence AND that the increase in CO2 is the cause.

Twin piles of utter complete, festering, fetid, rotting piles of horseshit.

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 10/7/2017 at 10:35 AM, Joe from WY said:

I remember landing in strong crosswinds in an EMB-120 (back when United used to fly the Brasilias all over California, oh memories) at Arcata/Eureka (the airport is built on a bluff overlooking the ocean), and nearly going vertical the wrong way before being righted at the right time and landing. The Hasidic Jew sitting across the aisle from me was speaking in tongues. 

I guess I'd rather be trying to land in that than an A380 in similar conditions I guess. I will say though, the crosswinds make for great, ballsy take off and landing approaches at SFO. Great photo opportunities. 

Used to fly out of Eureka on the USCG helos every now and then...if we had a full load of fuel, it was a rolling take-off to clear the fence and then a nose down dive toward the water to build enough airspeed to lift her up...scary.

Mike Bronson, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:45 PM, said:

Don't be mad because the refs are going to need Tommy John surgeries after this poorly played game.

mugtang, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:49 PM, said:

Your mom is going to need Tommy John surgery after jerking me off all night.

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg