Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Las Vegas Reb

Buy and donate UNLV SDSU tickets to first responders, victims and families affected by LV mass shooting

Although I was in Las Vegas visiting family and friends, and attending the UNLV v SJSU, I was safe in Anthem at the time of the attack. I flew back to Seattle (home) on Sunday as planned but it hurts me to know that I couldn't help the community that I love and grew up in. 

I want to do something now that can help bring about some healing. I contacted UNLV and bought and donated 30 tickets to first responders and families affected by shooting. We need each other more than ever in times like these and maybe the football game can assist in this healing and bringing together the community. 

UNLV accepted offer and going to distribute tickets appropriately. UNLV is having a tribute to victims at the game so it would be great if we can get as many out as possible.

Email UNLV at unlvfootballfoundation@gmail.com and Erick.Harper@unlv.edu if you'd be interested in doing the same.

7 minutes ago, Las Vegas Reb said:

Although I was in Las Vegas visiting family and friends, and attending the UNLV v SJSU, I was safe in Anthem at the time of the attack. I flew back to Seattle (home) on Sunday as planned but it hurts me to know that I couldn't help the community that I love and grew up in. 

I want to something now that can help bring about some healing. I contacted UNLV and bought and donated 30 tickets to first responders and families affected by shooting. We need each other more than ever in times like these and maybe the football game can assist in this healing and bringing together the community. 

UNLV accepted offer and going to distribute tickets appropriately. 

Email UNLV at unlvfootballfoundation@gmail.com and Erick.Harper@unlv.edu if you'd be interested in doing the same.

haven't they suffered enough

:rimshot1:

1 hour ago, Las Vegas Reb said:

I want to do something now that can help bring about some healing. I contacted UNLV and bought and donated 30 tickets to first responders and families affected by shooting. We need each other more than ever in times like these and maybe the football game can assist in this healing and bringing together the community. 

UNLV accepted offer and going to distribute tickets appropriately. UNLV is having a tribute to victims at the game so it would be great if we can get as many out as possible.

You would think UNLV will let them in for free. I remember CSU had the floods in northern Colorado and they did nothing either. I personally think they should have let them in for free. Instead we had less than 10K.

1 hour ago, Las Vegas Reb said:

Great idea and thanks for posting!

3 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

haven't they suffered enough

:rimshot1:

i had to walk away from my phone when I first saw this, because my first instinct was to tell you to GFY, lol. But I realized I am still hypersensitive, so I didn't.

I'm stronger than I thought I was. :huh:

35 minutes ago, BleedRebelRed said:

I'm not so strong, so @Del Scorcho GFY.

lol. i knew he was just being funny, he's a good guy, it just didn't sit well with me yet. any other time i'd probably have literally laughed out loud.. and it's probably something I would have said in a different situation.

but it did irk me for a minute when i saw it. my nerves are still raw, apparently.

18 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

lol. i knew he was just being funny, he's a good guy, it just didn't sit well with me yet. any other time i'd probably have literally laughed out loud.. and it's probably something I would have said in a different situation.

but it did irk me for a minute when i saw it. my nerves are still raw, apparently.

No shame in that. We've been through a lot.

53 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Ya, I'll admit it was a good line.

7 minutes ago, BleedRebelRed said:

Ya, I'll admit it was a good line.

Things are rough for the Vegas folks right now.  It's pretty typical to make jokes when things are at their worst for some reason, maybe just to instinctively take a different perspective to make reality a little easier to deal with.  I laughed at the joke.  It wasn't a laugh at the folks in Vegas or the difficult time they are going through.  It was a laugh at UNLV FB from a conference rival, a little bit of a return to a sense of normalcy.

I hope none of you Reb's think the rest of us take this lightly, or find anything about it funny.  The majority of us are praying for the wounded and the families of the deceased.  If we're paralyzed by it, then the damage is ten fold from the obvious.  A little humor directed away from the situation and not at it is not a terrible thing and tends to release the paralysis.  I think I speak for those of us who laughed at that joke that we mean no ill will.  Just a little release from the terrible reality of the situation and certainly not laughing at the situation.

Hang in there.

2 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Things are rough for the Vegas folks right now.  It's pretty typical to make jokes when things are at their worst for some reason, maybe just to instinctively take a different perspective to make reality a little easier to deal with.  I laughed at the joke.  It wasn't a laugh at the folks in Vegas or the difficult time they are going through.  It was a laugh at UNLV FB from a conference rival, a little bit of a return to a sense of normalcy.

I hope none of you Reb's think the rest of us take this lightly, or find anything about it funny.  The majority of us are praying for the wounded and the families of the deceased.  If we're paralyzed by it, then the damage is ten fold from the obvious.  A little humor directed away from the situation and not at it is not a terrible thing and tends to release the paralysis.  I think I speak for those of us who laughed at that joke that we mean no ill will.  Just a little release from the terrible reality of the situation and certainly not laughing at the situation.

Hang in there.

I realized it wasn't meant to make light of the situation, just a jab a #UNLVfb which is fair and expected on here.

I laughed at @Del Scorcho 's post.  My reply was also meant to be joking around, really that @4UNLV should say GFY to anyone making a jab at #UNLVfb.  

Just now, BleedRebelRed said:

I realized it wasn't meant to make light of the situation, just a jab a #UNLVfb which is fair and expected on here.

I laughed at @Del Scorcho 's post.  My reply was also meant to be joking around, really that @4UNLV should say GFY to anyone making a jab at #UNLVfb.  

Cool.  Just wanted to be clear that we're all moving on, but moving on with respect for you Vegas folks.

4 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Cool.  Just wanted to be clear that we're all moving on, but moving on with respect for you Vegas folks.

GFY

:D

and just to be clear, I laughed at @Del Scorcho 's joke when I saw it, it seriously is something I would say. and it still pissed me off, lol. I also lol'd when @BleedRebelRed piped in. I'm pissed at you, just because...

and it has nothing to do with any of you, my apologies to all. also many thanks to all of you, this place has been such a help.

I just wanted to clarify that what @Las Vegas Reb did was admirable and generous.  It was a little too soon for my cheap attempt at humor.  I apologize for any I offended and I feel bad that I directed this thread away from its initial purpose.  Clearly Las Vegans should be proud of how they have handled this tragedy.  Strangers helping each other get out of harms way, lines of people donating blood, thousands of dollars donated to the victims and certainly law enforcement, paramedics, fire-fighters, doctors, nurses and anyone who had a hand in alleviating this horrific act .... a million heartfelt thank you's.

Just now, Del Scorcho said:

I just wanted to clarify that what @Las Vegas Reb did was admirable and generous.  It was a little too soon for my cheap attempt at humor.  I apologize for any I offended and I feel bad that I directed this thread away from its initial purpose.  Clearly Las Vegans should be proud of how they have handled this tragedy.  Strangers helping each other get out of harms way, lines of people donating blood, thousands of dollars donated to the victims and certainly law enforcement, paramedics, fire-fighters, doctors, nurses and anyone who had a hand in alleviating this horrific act .... a million heartfelt thank you's.

No need for an apology, scorch.. it was funny, and I appreciate the humor. We need it, thank you. 

1 hour ago, Del Scorcho said:

Thanks, and I appreciated it for what it was. Emotions are still a bit raw is all, but I do appreciate the effort to return to normalcy. Even if normalcy means there is a very good chance we are gonna get beat by the best team in the MWC on Saturday. :shrug:

Very nice sentiment there Del Scorcho. Believe me we feel the love from all over the world. There is still a bit of a "circle the wagons," "bunker mentality" going on here that happens after something like this. The good news there is it is galvanizing a community that rarely has something to rally around. If they can focus some of that towards UNLV football, maybe they can finally turn this thing around?

4 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

GFY

:D

and just to be clear, I laughed at @Del Scorcho 's joke when I saw it, it seriously is something I would say. and it still pissed me off, lol. I also lol'd when @BleedRebelRed piped in. I'm pissed at you, just because...

and it has nothing to do with any of you, my apologies to all. also many thanks to all of you, this place has been such a help.

Absolutely it has. The support from everyone here has been outstanding, and not at all unexpected. Good folks here which is why I keep coming here.

Talked to UNLV ticket people today on the phone, they said they couldn't express how busy how they have been with people buying tickets for Saturday and donating many of them and they have been giving them out all week so far.

Bought 50 today myself to be given out

On 10/5/2017 at 11:24 AM, Del Scorcho said:

Go FUCK yourself 

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.