Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Akkula

Gun Control (please don't read if it is too soon for you)

1 minute ago, jackmormon said:

Sorry, I was channeling the Alex Jones.

Nobody here takes Alex Jones seriously. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

18 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

This mental health thing has been a problem for almost 40 years now. Both parties have done nothing about it. Both are to blame. Want to fix the ultra-violence problem? Fix that. Until then, enjoy the whole Clockwork Orange gig. 

Pretty much this. Half the country can't afford to stay home with the flu. Do we really expect them to seek treatment for mental health issues? Combine that with a culture that glorifies violence in all forms, widespread poverty, drug abuse, and general societal +++++ up, and suddenly Trump's dystopian imagery of America aren't so ridiculous anymore. It's a small miracle society is holding up as well as it does.

Edit: Wow, Google spellchecker doesn't know "dystopian." Life must be nice in Silicon Valley.

1 minute ago, wolfpack1 said:

Italy has terrible drivers who never stop at signals according to a friend who went there last year.

Italy has amazing drivers. Your average American would sit on the side of the road sobbing on a peaceful Sunday morning in Rome. 

Image result for the bigger the gun, the smaller the penis

Image result for the bigger the gun, the smaller the penis calamity jane

It's never about guns, it's always about mental illness.  But when health care is brought up, it's never about reasonable access to care, it's about ensuring no infringements on capitalists exist. The NRA and Libertarians run in a vicious circle of passing the buck. In the meantime they support greater access to weapons than health care.  Money is everything.  People are insignificant. 

No one but the military needs silencers.

No one but the military needs automatic weapons.

Everyone needs access to quality health care, including mental health. 

American priorities are completely phucked.  So the bleeding and the heartache and the losses will continue, as people argue about the rights of those not directly involved, while ignoring the rights of those who died and were wounded..

America. What a country!

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

So to sum up this thread.  The gun crowd will never support any gun legislation unless it weakens current law and it doesn't matter how many bodies pIle up.  I wish you would just say that instead of shedding the crocodile tears after these killings and saying "now is not the time."  We will look towards the same lame excuses the next time someone goes for the killing record. 

Posted Image

You never see the victims and their families parroting the NRA talking point after another mass shooting... "now is not the time"!

Also, I will add this to the discussion. If a high capacity, military grade, weapon of war are needed to fight government tyranny, then the sole purpose for the weapon is to kill American soilders and police because that's the government. 

Former Fox News anchor Bill O’Reilly said Monday that the massacre in Las Vegas hours earlier — the deadliest shooting in modern U.S. history — was “the price of freedom.”

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

4 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Former Fox News anchor Bill O’Reilly said Monday that the massacre in Las Vegas hours earlier — the deadliest shooting in modern U.S. history — was “the price of freedom.”

I think it's more accurate to say people like Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh  et al, having a platform to spew their hate, intollerance and bs is the "price of freedom".

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

2 hours ago, Akkula said:

So to sum up this thread.  The gun crowd will never support any gun legislation unless it weakens current law and it doesn't matter how many bodies pIle up.  I wish you would just say that instead of shedding the crocodile tears after these killings and saying "now is not the time."  We will look towards the same lame excuses the next time someone goes for the killing record. 

Many, Many more Americans die from traffic accidents than firearms. 

Perhaps you should focus on improving car safety , or driver safety education  if you really cared about saving lives. 

There is a way to get rid of the second amendment if you would like, it just takes 2/3 majorities on both the House & Senate, and 2/3 of the states would have to sign on. It won't happen in our lifetimes though. 

Nothings going to happen. A couple years ago 30 kids got murdered while going to school and this country basically just said "oh well, shit happens". We'll continue to do nothing and when this happens again in a few months we'll pretend to be dumbfounded again. We'll also continue ignoring the everyday shit, because if it's less than 10 bodies, well then it's quite frankly just not very interesting and doesn't even deserve a mention. We'll continue being among the most dangerous industrial nations year after year, and still tell ourselves that we're living in the best case scenario and that there's no need to change anything because it'd only get worse if we did.

The Republican part has become a collection of single issue voters with extreme positions that are out of the mainstream but they all stick together and support each others fringe positions.  The one thing they all have in common is that they will take a set of facts and tell you why you can't believe them with your own eyes.  

Does the religious zealot really not think everyone needs to be packing heat all over and having silencers?  Does the gun nut really think all abortions should be outlawed?  Does the alt-right believe in the failed trickle down economics?  Does the Atlas Shrugger 1%er believe we should have a white homeland?

There is this blood pact between these extremists to support each others craziness and even though we get people who may hate Trump or whatever they say in their "shy" moments...they always pull the lever for the Republicans in support of the extremism.  The only extremist they kicked out of the party was the extreme pragmatist.  We have a party and country that is run by a minority of a minority because of how the crazies get together to multiply their votes and support each other's pet fefish.

Posted Image

I am a gun owner, and I support legitimate expansion of some gun control --- common sense stuff really. I can't stand that the GOP passed H.J. Res 40. They always blame mental instability, but then they roll back NICS inclusion for people that have been diagnosed with a mental health issue that should disqualify them from gun ownership. 

The NRA has become a bunch of whacked out gun nuts that have no concept of the real world any longer. They pander to the extreme right who is afraid that any legislation is going to lead to the government simply confiscating all guns. They're also pretty much owned by the gun lobby at this point as well. That doesn't help anyone. I cancelled my NRA membership over ten years ago as a result of what they had become.