Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RamSack

What should the NFL do regarding the National Anthem, if anything?

2 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Isn't that the big picture issue here? Yes, Viianueva gets it. Unfortunately, I'm afraid many/most who would put him on a pedestal, don't get it. Instead of celebrating, or at least tolerating, the protesters for exercising their rights, rights that you and Sean defended and many died for, they are protesting the protesters.....and that's their right:D

I agree.  I think most who are buying Villanueva's are going to read his statement, and perhaps some semblance of an understanding his thoughts will lead them to not burn a jersey.  It is a moment like this where someone doing something they believe is right, yet holds a view they may not agree with or understand can the dialogue open up on the free speech position.

46 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I agree.  I think most who are buying Villanueva's are going to read his statement, and perhaps some semblance of an understanding his thoughts will lead them to not burn a jersey.  It is a moment like this where someone doing something they believe is right, yet holds a view they may not agree with or understand can the dialogue open up on the free speech position.

That dude got stuck in a bad spot.

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

Apparently not......see, this was/is a damn effective protest!

When you say a damn effective protest, what's that look like to you?  I think it has divided us, which might be a good thing, but how far does this go before it becomes a bad thing.  Can you see it becoming a damn poor protest?

The World Needs More Cowboys!

I think the effectiveness remains to be seen.

How much discussion is being had on police brutality and racialninjustce? Sure there is a lot of talk now. But it's more about the action rather thsn what led to it.

I know some people are talking on the topic but more is needed. Continue the kneeling and try to motivate more conversation and ultimately action.

One of the Final Five..........

The NFL needs to get out in front of this in an attempt to control the narrative.  This has to include getting most, if not all, players involved in a strategy, a single message.  The NFL's message needs to be pro civil rights, pro America, pro National Anthem, etc.  Trump is trying to make it one or the other.  It can and should be both.  The NFL shouldn't respond to Trump but rather ignore Trump and reach out to their fans, their audience and give us all, "all of the above".

Perhaps an NFL project with a civil rights theme to it.  I think all of the players getting behind this NFL project, announcing they are behind improving America and all standing with their hand over their heart as a part of this project's announcement would win all hearts, poke Trump right in the eyeballs and improve their brand.  I realize this would require Kaep and others to change their method (doesn't change their message).  Is that too much to ask?

Something like this...other thoughts?

The World Needs More Cowboys!

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

Apparently not......see, this was/is a damn effective protest!

Effective in what exactly?

I've been aware of systemic racism. When do we stop being aware and start doing something about it?

We gotta wait for every single person to be aware? Even the ignorant who can't understand or don't care to?

We gotta simplistically blame police as a whole for the actions of a few?

Why do you think police are more active in african-american neighborhoods? Could it be that 2017 policing is still doing a decent job trying to enforce laws on communities who's culture is a result from decades ago policies and measures?

How do we change cultures in these neverending neighborhoods?

How can police effectively penetrate the inner cities and let them know they are there to help? Will these communities ever be up for change?

This shit is much deeper than "Derp, police bad men. See black man: Arrest or kill black man!"

Is there a major problem in police abuse in relation to the size of our country? Are all people who support kneeling anti-American separatists?

This awareness has not been effective. It's almost been more dividing. Obama did nothing to help it. Trump just triggers more of it...(he's to blame mostly here. Dumbass pours gas on flames)

Then you have clowns like Michael Bennett slandering police for doing their job and acting as if he was a victim of some unconstitutional detention and profiling..when there are tons of laws and case laws supporting law enforcement in his case.

There's a whole lotta misconception on both sides of all current arguments.

Nothing is new. Nothing will change. I guess we'll just wait until everyone is "aware" and then we can meet at the middle of the table and start hearing some actual solutions.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

1 hour ago, mysfit said:

I think the effectiveness remains to be seen.

How much discussion is being had on police brutality and racialninjustce? Sure there is a lot of talk now. But it's more about the action rather thsn what led to it.

I know some people are talking on the topic but more is needed. Continue the kneeling and try to motivate more conversation and ultimately action.

This thing will spread to the NBA and perhaps some college teams so I doubt if this ends with the NFL...........expect Trump to go to war with the NBA next and the NBA has a higher % of black players than any league 

1 hour ago, BestintheWest said:

Effective in what exactly?

I've been aware of systemic racism. When do we stop being aware and start doing something about it?

We gotta wait for every single person to be aware? Even the ignorant who can't understand or don't care to?

We gotta simplistically blame police as a whole for the actions of a few?

Why do you think police are more active in african-american neighborhoods? Could it be that 2017 policing is still doing a decent job trying to enforce laws on communities who's culture is a result from decades ago policies and measures?

How do we change cultures in these neverending neighborhoods?

How can police effectively penetrate the inner cities and let them know they are there to help? Will these communities ever be up for change?

This shit is much deeper than "Derp, police bad men. See black man: Arrest or kill black man!"

Is there a major problem in police abuse in relation to the size of our country? Are all people who support kneeling anti-American separatists?

This awareness has not been effective. It's almost been more dividing. Obama did nothing to help it. Trump just triggers more of it...(he's to blame mostly here. Dumbass pours gas on flames)

Then you have clowns like Michael Bennett slandering police for doing their job and acting as if he was a victim of some unconstitutional detention and profiling..when there are tons of laws and case laws supporting law enforcement in his case.

There's a whole lotta misconception on both sides of all current arguments.

Nothing is new. Nothing will change. I guess we'll just wait until everyone is "aware" and then we can meet at the middle of the table and start hearing some actual solutions.

Wow, you've asked some great questions.

I'd like to think that a lot of America wasn't aware of the problem. Unfortunately, I believe the truth is that they just don't give a shit because it's not affecting their children and neighborhood. If much of the country is disgusted by these protest, maybe they can experience just a little bit of the discomfort and frustration which many of our black communities have to endure daily.

I don't believe anyone simplistically blames police on the whole. I do believe that many are frustrated by a lack of action or at least very strong statements of commitment to weeding out the bad apples.

Do you have any ideas on how the situation could be improved?

What I do know is that any attempt by our elected officials to improve the situation shouldn't immediately be shouted down because the person happens to have an R or D next to their name. Let's be real, most of these problem are occurring in our metropolitan areas, usually represented by Democrats. I'm sure there is or will be proposed legislation which deals with more body cameras and more training for officers, etc. Like somebody said earlier, "show me the money", because this shit will cost us. If anyone has any ideas on how to improve the situation that won't cost us, speak up, let's phucking hear it!

If you don't have any ideas, you just don't want to be bothered, it ain't your problem, well phuck you! This is an American problem and we are all Americans.

You know and I know that this is the bottom line. 

I have stopped watching politics that claims to be entertainment....late night, etc.  Stopped pro sports long ago.  Their ratings were dropping anyway.  Many celebs have damaged their image by talking politics....i don't know if I am the only one who tries to avoid them.    I simply don't want to know their political leanings.    If this shit spreads to the ncaa....i don't know.

7 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Well don't stop now. You've almost got that echo chamber complete.

I come here to hear what some conservatives say whom I share some common interests (college sports).  Terms "Echo chamber" "snowflake" do not add to the discussion.  Makes one sound intolerant of reason.

9 minutes ago, 415hawaiiboy said:

I come here to hear what some conservatives say whom I share some common interests (college sports).  Terms "Echo chamber" "snowflake" do not add to the discussion.  Makes one sound intolerant of reason.

I'm confused. Are you a liberal looking to hear the other side or a conservative who only cares about what the conservatives think? If it's the former, I assure you he isn't looking to hear that side.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

I stopped going to NFL games years ago, I simply don't want to pay the price for admission.  And I watch much less NFL overall now than I did a few years ago.  I rather watch college sports.  But I don't support these players kneeling for the nat'l anthem at all.  The worse thing though to me was having them kneel in London like that.  

The fact that Trump came out against it just shows how much the liberals are for it.  Their so anti-Trump they've become anti-US.  

On 9/26/2017 at 2:02 PM, renoskier said:

Wow, you've asked some great questions.

I'd like to think that a lot of America wasn't aware of the problem. Unfortunately, I believe the truth is that they just don't give a shit because it's not affecting their children and neighborhood. If much of the country is disgusted by these protest, maybe they can experience just a little bit of the discomfort and frustration which many of our black communities have to endure daily.

I don't believe anyone simplistically blames police on the whole. I do believe that many are frustrated by a lack of action or at least very strong statements of commitment to weeding out the bad apples.

Do you have any ideas on how the situation could be improved?

What I do know is that any attempt by our elected officials to improve the situation shouldn't immediately be shouted down because the person happens to have an R or D next to their name. Let's be real, most of these problem are occurring in our metropolitan areas, usually represented by Democrats. I'm sure there is or will be proposed legislation which deals with more body cameras and more training for officers, etc. Like somebody said earlier, "show me the money", because this shit will cost us. If anyone has any ideas on how to improve the situation that won't cost us, speak up, let's phucking hear it!

If you don't have any ideas, you just don't want to be bothered, it ain't your problem, well phuck you! This is an American problem and we are all Americans.

You know and I know that this is the bottom line. 

Frankly before I started doing a few things - really, before I started posting here and watching the Nightly Show - I was so unaware of the problem it may as well have not been there. I've lived in extremely egalitarian areas my whole life that are very racially homogeneous. It took looking and thinking and learning to even see how some of these protests made sense. 

Now think of all those poor assholes who aren't even fans of MWC schools. How are they supposed to escape their bubbles? 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

17 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Frankly before I started doing a few things - really, before I started posting here and watching the Nightly Show - I was so unaware of the problem it may as well have not been there. I've lived in extremely egalitarian areas my whole life that are very racially homogeneous. It took looking and thinking and learning to even see how some of these protests made sense. 

Now think of all those poor assholes who aren't even fans of MWC schools. How are they supposed to escape their bubbles? 

It's interesting you mention living in a racially homogenous area. Last week I was on a trip and spent a few days each in Billings, MT, and Rapid City, SD. I was immediately struck by the racial homogeneity compared to my day-to-day life. They were both nice enough, but I couldn't help but ponder how my outlook might be affected if I lived in such a place.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say