Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

ADIOS SUCKERS !!!

I might think it's UNLV & SDSU...............two schools in close proximity for easy tandem travel ..........but while UNLV gains a stadium, SDSU is losing one (perhaps), sorry Aztecs.........BYU could get the call !!! 

Rumor, frantic hope & miracles are never out of season...........so speculate, deride and scoff as required !!! 

Just now, mugtang said:

So what are the 3 things?

The university has long aspired to be in a Power 5 athletic conference. When UNLV "flirted" with the Big 12 last year, Jessup said, officials told him UNLV needed to have three things:

“No. 1 you already have — Las Vegas. You have the location and media market,” he said. “Second, academically, with everything you've got going on, with the medical school coming, you’re good enough for the Big 12. (But) third, your missing ingredients are in athletics.”

UNLV has been working with the Oakland Raiders on the planned 65,000-seat, $1.9 billion stadium to be located on Russell Road just west of Interstate 15.

“The NFL-ready, domed stadium checks off a huge box for us,” Jessup said. “Negotiations are ongoing with the Raiders right now with the joint-use agreement, and we hope to have that wrapped up this fall. Everything is going well, and it looks like it's on pace.”

The planned 70,000-square-foot Fertitta Football Complex is a go after the Nevada Board of Regents approved a funding plan for the complex last week. Construction on the estimated $28 million complex is expected to begin later this year.

“That building will be phenomenal for what it does for the football program,” Jessup said. “They’ll play six or so games at the new stadium, but 359 days out of the year they’ll be in this (Fertitta Football Complex) building. It’s where they’ll eat, train and study.”

Having both the stadium and practice facility will be transformational for UNLV, reaching beyond just athletics, Jessup said.

He also mentioned the recent $72 million renovation of the Thomas & Mack Center and the baseball program’s $4 million clubhouse addition.

“It rivals not only the best in the NCAA — it rivals some of the best clubhouses in Major League Baseball,” Jessup said. “We believe it will help our Rebel baseball program get back on top.”

1 minute ago, UNLV2001 said:

The university has long aspired to be in a Power 5 athletic conference. When UNLV "flirted" with the Big 12 last year, Jessup said, officials told him UNLV needed to have three things:

“No. 1 you already have — Las Vegas. You have the location and media market,” he said. “Second, academically, with everything you've got going on, with the medical school coming, you’re good enough for the Big 12. (But) third, your missing ingredients are in athletics.”

UNLV has been working with the Oakland Raiders on the planned 65,000-seat, $1.9 billion stadium to be located on Russell Road just west of Interstate 15.

“The NFL-ready, domed stadium checks off a huge box for us,” Jessup said. “Negotiations are ongoing with the Raiders right now with the joint-use agreement, and we hope to have that wrapped up this fall. Everything is going well, and it looks like it's on pace.”

The planned 70,000-square-foot Fertitta Football Complex is a go after the Nevada Board of Regents approved a funding plan for the complex last week. Construction on the estimated $28 million complex is expected to begin later this year.

“That building will be phenomenal for what it does for the football program,” Jessup said. “They’ll play six or so games at the new stadium, but 359 days out of the year they’ll be in this (Fertitta Football Complex) building. It’s where they’ll eat, train and study.”

Having both the stadium and practice facility will be transformational for UNLV, reaching beyond just athletics, Jessup said.

He also mentioned the recent $72 million renovation of the Thomas & Mack Center and the baseball program’s $4 million clubhouse addition.

“It rivals not only the best in the NCAA — it rivals some of the best clubhouses in Major League Baseball,” Jessup said. “We believe it will help our Rebel baseball program get back on top.”

So...nothing about a competitive football team?

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

7 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

I might think it's UNLV & SDSU...............two schools in close proximity for easy tandem travel ..........but while UNLV gains a stadium, SDSU is losing one (perhaps), sorry Aztecs.........BYU could get the call !!! 

Rumor, frantic hope & miracles are never out of season...........so speculate, deride and scoff as required !!! 

Lots of good stuff there - I recently read that UNLV is projected to be 15 years away from Carnegie Research status and Nevada is about 4 to 5 years away.  Once you get to tier 1the real work towards research status begins.  No doubt you are on the right rack facilities wise.  I do find it a bit odd that the power 5 would find your academics to be acceptable, but you are indeed on the right track.  You definitely have the booster dollars down there to do something special.  I hope it works out for you. 

3 minutes ago, mugtang said:

So...nothing about a competitive football team?

Football schmootball.........UNLV could be top 4 B12 Basketball program within 1 year of joining and perhaps 2nd !!

With TV revenues dying, it's about media markets I would guess.....LV & SD largest untapped western TV markets

This is just a fun for giggles thread..........figure we can NEVER have enough conference jumping threads :Clapping:

4 minutes ago, Wolfhomie said:

Lots of good stuff there - I recently read that UNLV is projected to be 15 years away from Carnegie Research status and Nevada is about 4 to 5 years away.  Once you get to tier 1the real work towards research status begins.  No doubt you are on the right rack facilities wise.  I do find it a bit odd that the power 5 would find your academics to be acceptable, but you are indeed on the right track.  You definitely have the booster dollars down there to do something special.  I hope it works out for you. 

The Big XII reportedly said this which is only one of the P5's and in no position to be overly choosy.  That said it sounds as though UNLV is charting a proper course to imporve academically.

Please not another conference realignment thread. They should be boycotted until @Loboblastmakes his return. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

51 minutes ago, mugtang said:

So what are the 3 things?

Gambling, Drugs and Hookers! What else? 

Image result for Las Vegas gambling, drugs and hookers

UNLV in process of addressing 3 things Big 12 told they need to be considered for Power 5.

1. Indoor plumbing.

2. Air conditioning.  

3. A football program. 

"If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, are you still a moron?"

"Give me a Sandwich and a Douchebag and there's nothing I can't do!"

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

UNLV is now carrying the flag 

You are the flagship? @mugtang thoughts on UNLV being the flagship of Nevada?

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

1 minute ago, madmartigan said:

You are the flagship? @mugtang thoughts on UNLV being the flagship of Nevada?

They're not. No thoughts necessary. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

Evidently you haven't heard the news about JD's renderings.  This morning, Aztec AD John David Wicker disclosed that something's in the works. We all love us some nice renderings.

So where are we going this time?

Aztec-Nation-Banner2010-03.gif