Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SharkTanked

CTE Study Published

2 hours ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Baseball is poised for a comeback?  Or has the pendulum already begun to swing towards virtual sport leagues rather than actual physical sports participation.

A pendulum movement would imply that e-sports has been a thing before, which it hasn't. But I am sure that virtual sports will be a huge thing in the future. Look at League of Legends in Asia and also here in the West as an example. 

5 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

Data compiled by researchers at Stanford showed that one college offensive lineman sustained 62 of these hits in a single game. Each one came with an average force on the player’s head equivalent to what you would see if he had driven his car into a brick wall at 30 m.p.h."

Wow... :( I mean, we should all know this, but it's still shocking. 

1 hour ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Ironically tech is part of the problem. The helmet has allowed the head to tolerate contact involving tremendous force. Enough force to compress the brain against the skull wall. There are CTE cases with rugby (and most other long-term sports), the rates and severity are far lower. There is definitely a body of opinion suggesting that football would be safer without gear. 

And that is perfectly reasonable. Ditch the facemask for starters. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

5 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I wonder which school district or state will become the first to ban football from its public schools? 

My wife is a HS District Administrator and has been wondering for the last few years. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

22 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

My wife is a HS District Administrator and has been wondering for the last few years. 

I'm sad to say I think it will happen. And when it does, others will follow. 

I've also recall hearing a few years ago, that some youth soccer leagues were considering not allowing players under a certain age to use their head to strike the ball, due to brain and neck injuries.  

I don't know enough about soccer to have an opinion on how much a rule like that would affect the sport or the development of players. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

4 hours ago, Fowl said:

Seriously flawed study.  Proves nothing.

Lol what?

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

42 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I'm sad to say I think it will happen. And when it does, others will follow. 

I've also recall hearing a few years ago, that some youth soccer leagues were considering not allowing players under a certain age to use their head to strike the ball, due to brain and neck injuries.  

I don't know enough about soccer to have an opinion on how much a rule like that would affect the sport or the development of players. 

I read an article on a study that examined Norwegian soccer players in their early 30's that had been playing since childhood. It did reveal low levels of effects, similar (but less) to those of boxers, in some individuals. I remember in the '90 World Cup when a Scottish player, Murdo McLeod, in the wall during a free kick got drilled by a 90mph shot from 10 yards. He went down like a sack of potatoes and didn't play for 6 months. 

1 hour ago, mugtang said:

Lol what?

There are issues with the study that make you question some of the findings, but what else is new.

I don't see that anybody has found a reason to end football, but more likely some good data to back up many of the changes that have already been made a part of the game as well as some that need initiated.  The most difficult part of the entire evolution that needs to happen seems to be the reluctance of many to "pussify" the game, even though that is not a necessary approach to improved safety.

Tech, coaching, rules, etc. will all make a difference and already have.  I'd bet that Payton Manning's brain looks a lot different than Ken Stablers.

I see it as more of a wake up call that this path to safety we're on is not BS, but rather a solid move forward.  I heard about the study on the radio today.  They reported that the rate of CTE in HS only was extremely low, the cool graphics left that out.  I think there is still a place for tackle football, I just think we need to accept that we have to make some smart changes and realize that nothing is without risk.

This study reeks of confirmation bias. It proves that former players who exhibited symptoms of CTE did in fact have CTE. Since there isn't a control group, we don't know what a "healthy" brain looks like, because they didn't examine other players who died, but exhibited no signs of CTE. 

That's not to say that the study isn't without merit, but it's certainly not the "smoking gun" that many are making it out to be. 

1 hour ago, retrofade said:

This study reeks of confirmation bias. It proves that former players who exhibited symptoms of CTE did in fact have CTE. Since there isn't a control group, we don't know what a "healthy" brain looks like, because they didn't examine other players who died, but exhibited no signs of CTE. 

That's not to say that the study isn't without merit, but it's certainly not the "smoking gun" that many are making it out to be. 

While true, it seems that players who are not exhibiting CTE symptoms are not donating their brains. Can't really have a control group unless they do.

9 hours ago, retrofade said:

Bingo!

27 minutes ago, Fowl said:

Bingo!

Ok but doesn't just the existence of 111 brains with CTE out of the entire pool of dead football players show serious issues?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

Ok but doesn't just the existence of 111 brains with CTE out of the entire pool of dead football players show serious issues?

Maybe.  Perhaps 111 individuals who were pre-disposed to CTE decided to play football.  I'm not saying that's the case, but I am saying that the research needs to be much more complete before definitive conclusions can be reached.  In the meantime it is a worthwhile cause to address the helmets, practice regimes, and the rules to address this while keeping in mind that we are addressing a problem that we really don't know the true implications of the inputs.

Obviously if you're going to engage in a sport where you bang heads a lot, there should be some ongoing work on protecting the head.  That doesn't mean we can make the sport entirely safe, that ain't ever gonna' happen.  We'll never make life entirely safe.  It would be nice if we could make both safer though.

I played HS FB and both my sons played HS FB.  I can assure you that the boys were taught a ton more about head safety than I ever dreamed of.  If I live long enough to see one, I would not get in the way of a grandson playing HS FB.  I think the advances are being made that need to be made.

3 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Maybe.  Perhaps 111 individuals who were pre-disposed to CTE decided to play football.  I'm not saying that's the case, but I am saying that the research needs to be much more complete before definitive conclusions can be reached.  In the meantime it is a worthwhile cause to address the helmets, practice regimes, and the rules to address this while keeping in mind that we are addressing a problem that we really don't know the true implications of the inputs.

Obviously if you're going to engage in a sport where you bang heads a lot, there should be some ongoing work on protecting the head.  That doesn't mean we can make the sport entirely safe, that ain't ever gonna' happen.  We'll never make life entirely safe.  It would be nice if we could make both safer though.

I played HS FB and both my sons played HS FB.  I can assure you that the boys were taught a ton more about head safety than I ever dreamed of.  If I live long enough to see one, I would not get in the way of a grandson playing HS FB.  I think the advances are being made that need to be made.

Get rid of helmets and they won't be banging heads. Tackling would be rugby style. 

Just now, Old_SD_Dude said:

Get rid of helmets and they won't be banging heads. Tackling would be rugby style. 

Please see my new favorite FB league.

http://www.a7fl.com/

Do a little digging on youtube.  These guys don't play lingerie football, the hits are for real.  For some reason though, they keep their heads out of the equation.  Read the rule book too, it's a short one but it's a good one.  I think this league is going to spread.