Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MAD MACGYVER

Nevada RB James Butler Leaving for Iowa

2 hours ago, renoskier said:

Polian a "slimeball"? Not at all. A complete jackass on the sidelines but other wise a good guy. Recruited good kids who stayed out of trouble and graduated. He was active and respected in the community. He just wasn't a very good head coach. 

Yep agree.

he was a reach with a famous football last name-----, didn't pan out.

cerified_Subarus.jpg

1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

Definitely. It's just my educated guess, as is yours. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Even if he announced his transfer in March, it's not like it would've changed anything we did. We weren't likely we were going to find a back as talented as Butler on the fly. 

Players come and go, get hurt, transfer, graduate, etc. We'll be fine. 

Butler was the most exciting athlete and dynamic player on the team. From a pure entertainment standpoint, he'll be sorely missed by fans. Of course this season will be a total mess but losing him this late is a kick to the nuts when you're already down.

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

1 minute ago, battle.borne said:

Butler was the most exciting athlete and dynamic player on the team. From a pure entertainment standpoint, he'll be sorely missed by fans. Of course this season will be a total mess but losing him this late is a kick to the nuts when you're already down.

Who knows. Maybe somebody will emerge. That's what makes college football fun.

21 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I'm obviously not as close to the situation as you Wolf Packs - or should that be Wolfs or Wolves? - but Polian was such a slimeball that I wonder if Norvell hasn't decided some of Polian's guys just needed to be run off for the good of team chemistry.

With chasing guys away & the recruiting class & new walk ons Norvell has added 43 new players.  He said he wanted to change the culture & adding that many new guys is a major step in that direction, I guess.

21 hours ago, battle.borne said:

Losing him probably costs the team 2 wins. He's a great player in the MW. Huge impact by his departure which you are underselling for some strange reason.

I totally disagree on that one. This isn't an offense that needs a guy like Butler as much as the Polian stuff did. Sure he might get us some extra yards in a game as a dump off receiver, but I don't see it costing us 2 games. There's younger talent that always steps up and surprises people every year, and that might happen with the young guys behind Kincaide. 

kat.jpg

19 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

I totally disagree on that one. This isn't an offense that needs a guy like Butler as much as the Polian stuff did. Sure he might get us some extra yards in a game as a dump off receiver, but I don't see it costing us 2 games. There's younger talent that always steps up and surprises people every year, and that might happen with the young guys behind Kincaide. 

I hope your right about that.

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

15 hours ago, battle.borne said:

I hope your right about that.

If there was anyone not happy with Polian's firing, this should be enough. Polian without Butler is a scary proposition!!! At least we'll have a down year this year building a new team and not just wasting it on Polian. It's hard to know, but it wouldn't surprise me if Norvell plays better this year than what Polian would've done. And the refs will be at peace most of the time. 

kat.jpg

21 hours ago, renoskier said:

Polian a "slimeball"? Not at all. A complete jackass on the sidelines but other wise a good guy. Recruited good kids who stayed out of trouble and graduated. He was active and respected in the community. He just wasn't a very good head coach. 

I'm sure there are refs that think he's a slime ball. 

Yes, Polian was in over his head on play calling, strategy, developing young players, and recruiting key positions such as the OL. He was too much of a players coach and they got soft to some degree because of it. 

Polian knew how to deal with the intangibles, and in the entire offseason before his first game, he was doing and saying all the right things better than even Ault would.   He salvaged a really good recruiting class starting so late into it. Ault had fallen way behind on recruiting, and P made a nice recovery. So most fans started off high to very high on him. 

The last straw was when he attempted to re-define the expectations the fans should have on winning in order to save his ass. He said something like "Because of our budget situation, the fans need to accept the reality that a decent season including a down West Division should be 7, 6-6, 7-6. Doing better than that would really be above and beyond their expected 6 to 7 loss seasons. That went over like a steel kite.

It was soooooo obvious that he was trying to sell mediocrity to the fans just to save his low performing ass. Somehow, Polian must have thought that we had memories of shit. We finished ranked #11 in 2010 at 13-1, and were a hair away from finishing #6 to #9 at 14-0. Ault even had less of a budget and other improvements to work with that Polian did have. 

kat.jpg

23 hours ago, badfish said:

I have a feeling UNR/UNLV will be a shootout this year. 

I think that all our games will be a shootout. Our offense looks like it can be very good this year, our defense not so much. 

At least we will be an exciting team to watch again. No more 2 runs and a pass like we had with Polian.