Warbow

Rolo sounds off about travel subs

1 hour ago, SFtoVA said:

I'm curious why you think that?

Mainly because they don't seem to have a problem getting good programs to visit their place.  So scheduling, which can be a headache for independents, really wouldn't be for Hawaii.  Basically, a lot of programs like to take their teams to the islands.  With this in mind, they could easily schedule 7 home games a year, essentially limiting their own travel expenses. And they could schedule most of their away games at PAC12 programs, or other desirable destinations. 

5812325074_d6d40a5a2c_b.jpg

9 minutes ago, SFtoVA said:

You sound pretty informed on the issue... Do you think Hawaii could/should make it as an indy?

I just remember all the talking going on in the Hawaii board during that time. Coming off the 2010 season with all the realignment talk had a lot of Hawaii fans tuned in to what was next. I remember actually being okay with staying in the WAC and dominate the conference. But understood increase in travel to Texas along with FCS moveups joining would hurt our SOS, team longer on the road, and likely hurt ticket sales.

Ive always felt the deal Hawaii has with the MW at the moment is pretty much just a "scheduling agreement" with the bonus of better CFP revenue and CCG available. Getting to play schools with some history against is also meaningful.  Hawaii doesn't have huge issues finding quality opponents especially now with 'Week 0' but finding mid-season home games would be daunting and even some pro-Indy fans agreed we could probably be on the road a lot during the middle months.

4 hours ago, kalua pig said:

news flash:

hawaii,sdsu,and boise have an airport meeting scheduled today.

What does Hawaii bring to the table in that scenario? Oh yeah, coffee.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

27 minutes ago, RiverCityBronco said:

Basically, a lot of programs like to take their teams to the island

That's what I'm not sure of... I don't think many teams like to travel there. Sure the players will love it, but the administration and staff isn't going to. Peanut counters certainly will not.

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, SFtoVA said:

I'm curious why you think that?

The more Indys the easier it is to schedule.

Scheduling Hawaii is appealing for many schools because it allows you to play a Week Zero game, and a 13th game (this fact is lost on the MWC for some reason).

The only challenge is getting a TV contract, which Hawaii already has.  ESPN or FOX would give them a deal too (late night game).

Here is why Hawaii could be an Indy:

Week 0 - Any team in America

SEPT ---  4 games.  Hawaii would have no problem scheduling 4 PAC12 or other P5 games

OCT ---   4 games.   vs MWC, CUSA, and AAC (maybe an annual rivalry with SJSU)

NOV --- 4 games vs other Indies (BYU, NM State, UMass, and Army)

I think they could pull it off.

1 minute ago, #1Stunner said:

Scheduling Hawaii is appealing for many schools because it allows you to play a Week Zero game, and a 13th game (this fact is lost on the MWC for some reason).

The only challenge is getting a TV contract, which Hawaii already has.  ESPN or FOX would give them a deal too (late night game).

SEPT ---  4 games.  Hawaii would have no problem schedule 4 PAC12 or other P5 games

OCT ---   4 games.   vs MWC, CUSA, and AAC 

this post makes me want to get naked.

norm chow was such a dum dum,he couldn't even grasp the concept of telling the mwc to fvck off with the travel subs.this is a tactical strike.our ad and rolo have something brewing.

48 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

SEPT ---  4 games.  Hawaii would have no problem scheduling 4 PAC12 or other P5 games

OCT ---   4 games.   vs MWC, CUSA, and AAC (maybe an annual rivalry with SJSU)

Broke ass conferences.  4 games without subsidies?  Unlikely.

3 hours ago, ShoichiKUN808 said:

I just remember all the talking going on in the Hawaii board during that time. Coming off the 2010 season with all the realignment talk had a lot of Hawaii fans tuned in to what was next. I remember actually being okay with staying in the WAC and dominate the conference. But understood increase in travel to Texas along with FCS moveups joining would hurt our SOS, team longer on the road, and likely hurt ticket sales.

Ive always felt the deal Hawaii has with the MW at the moment is pretty much just a "scheduling agreement" with the bonus of better CFP revenue and CCG available. Getting to play schools with some history against is also meaningful.  Hawaii doesn't have huge issues finding quality opponents especially now with 'Week 0' but finding mid-season home games would be daunting and even some pro-Indy fans agreed we could probably be on the road a lot during the middle months.

Notre Dame = BYU West = Hawaii West 

20 hours ago, ShoichiKUN808 said:

Incorrect. 

The Hawaii Athletic Department WAS in shambles under Ben Jay (aka "drop football" AD). Ever since JJ announced his dissatisfaction with Herman Frazier (so glad he is gone) and defected to SMU, the Athetlic Department has improved immensely. Outside of Jay, Jim Donovan and now with Dave Matlin have done respectable jobs. Everything that JJ hated on like soap in the showers, locker rooms, etc. has been improved and corrected. Matlin has successfully worked to increase the amount of money the state gives the department as well as work towards the new football stadium. 

Ben Jay put us back 20 years to the time of Von Appen when he decided to keep Norm Chow after the team went 1-12 in 2013 saying we couldn't afford to let him go. We are still hurting on that decision with us losing around 10k season ticket holders ever since the ending of that season and haven't recovered.

Travel subs should be done with. If anything a school should decide either travel subs or hawaii exemption game, and not be given both. Every school is double-dipping when they have both. 

All respect. You guys are 3 years out from losing your AD, Chancellor and President. That is FOUNDATIONAL level dysfunction, not Department level dysfunction.

I do hope you guys get to that PAC 12 level of stability, but it is honestly too early to make the claim that you are there, and Ben Jay (not that I am a big fan) inherited a terrible, unsustainable situation. He was running 30 million dollars in the red. That's insanity.He was reporting that he couldn't even get light bulbs changed on campus, thus the statement about dropping football (which was hyperbole to draw attention to the situation). 

Look at the highlights in the video Warbow posted. The stands are empty. That's not a sign of a stable program.Your facilities are going to have to be dealt with somehow and I have no idea where that money and support will come from.

I really like you guys and hope you get back to where you were in the mid 00's by the way, but to say that you guys are on the level of PAC 12 Athletic Departments is way out of line (I understand you didn't say that but I was responding to someone who did). 

Totally agree about travel subs and have been saying that from the get-go. We didn't have them in the WAC, we don't need them here. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

Guest #1Stunner
13 hours ago, Slapdad said:

He has sullied my good (nick)name!! 

He has definitely caused confusion   A lot of people assumed that you two were the same person. 

He's barely literate, as you've stated. 

17 hours ago, RiverCityBronco said:

Mainly because they don't seem to have a problem getting good programs to visit their place.  So scheduling, which can be a headache for independents, really wouldn't be for Hawaii.  Basically, a lot of programs like to take their teams to the islands.  With this in mind, they could easily schedule 7 home games a year, essentially limiting their own travel expenses. And they could schedule most of their away games at PAC12 programs, or other desirable destinations. 

I think this is true during OOC play.  I'm not so sure it's true in Oct and Nov.  We shouldn't discount the difficulties involved in traveling to Hawaii.  Requiring two full days of travel for student athletes is a big deal, shortening the time from the prior or following weeks games.  TV coverage is problematic.  Unless you can secure a Saturday late morning or afternoon kickoff time slot, coverage will be pretty late for the central and eastern time zones.  Can Hawaii command those time slots?

Hawaii is a pretty attractive location for fans that can add on some days, perhaps even a week, for some vacation time.  Honestly, I have to imagine it's a pain in the ass for most athletic departments.

The World Needs More Cowboys!