Warbow

PAC 16 -- 2020

1 hour ago, AztecSU said:

Is UNLV in California now? And that still leaves CSU...

The academic chasm between UNLV and CSEwe is huge and insurmountable. Not to mention a complete lack of any real football success in the entirety of UNLV...

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

1 hour ago, Brew_Poke said:

Just pick a P5 team to root for, already.  The separation has happened, and your school wasn't a part of it.  You guys are like SDSU fans a couple of years ago.  Yes, the separation that has occurred in Division I NCAA sports hurts the fans, and the schools that were on the losing end of the branding/money wars.  Accept reality, man.  You have an awesome school to support.  That doesn't mean you have to shit on other schools who also don't enjoy privileged status, that's just bad form.

im taking one big shit on the mwc.loco moco lau lau gravy all ovah.

1 hour ago, Brew_Poke said:

When they Pac-10 was shopping hard, they were after Texas and Oklahoma.  Colorado was taken to force the Big 12 Schools' hands.  I don't think that Boise State, UNLV, Hawai'i, and SDSU, although fine institutions, would add the value that the Pac-12 needs to make expansion work for them.  You should just label this, "A conference I would like my alma mater to be part of."

I doubt that anyone truly knows what that reality is, even the conferences themselves.  Admittedly, I was once all gung ho for the 4x16 model, but I'm no longer so certain that that is inevitable nor even desirable. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we see now a settling period during which the powers that be try to identify how the economic model works from here, given the broadcast situation and its evolution. 

This was intended as a response to SGF. 

"If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, are you still a moron?"

"Give me a Sandwich and a Douchebag and there's nothing I can't do!"

Chad, I don't disagree, However, the settling time is now through when the B12's GOR expires. Maybe then nothing more will happen than the playoffs going to 8 teams and the B12 deciding not to extend the GOR provision, in which case settling will continue. However, even if that happens, I doubt the settling will remain past 2030 or so.

Boom goes the dynamite.

33 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

The academic chasm between UNLV and CSEwe is huge and insurmountable. Not to mention a complete lack of any real football success in the entirety of UNLV...

Im sure the PAC would add a second Colorado school since csu owns the Denver market.. 

And fwiw, there have already been talks with unlv and the PAC, about 3 -4 years ago Scott told us to, in this order, (and they are definitely not against coming to Vegas)

#1 get a medical school. Check. That's why the med school was prioritized over an on campus stadium before the raiders entered the picture. 

#2 get a new stadium. Check. 

#3 improve football. We have a few years to get this done. This is why a culture change, ie, new facilities, recruiting, attitude, etc., was needed before we would start getting the W's. Sanchez has been a huge factor in facilities upgrade, we'll see if he can get the job done on the field. We don't have to win the MW for entry to the PAC, we just need to be competitive. Upper half. 

Will it happen? Maybe, maybe not. Y'all can keep laughing at us, but IF it happens we'll laugh all the way to the bank. :)

Just sayin. 

7 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Chad, I don't disagree, However, the settling time is now through when the B12's GOR expires. Maybe then nothing more will happen than the playoffs going to 8 teams and the B12 deciding not to extend the GOR provision, in which case settling will continue. However, even if that happens, I doubt the settling will remain past 2030 or so.

Shit, I'll be dead by then. 

"If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, are you still a moron?"

1 minute ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Hell, I'm 63 and I thought I was old for this board.

The way I live, I won't make it past 70. 

I truly believe the PAC is the next to expand. They got to do something to keep up with the SEC and Big 10, they are slowly becoming the Big 12 in relevance.   UNLV and Hawaii makes the most sense for the PAC. Boise, BYU and San Diego st are long shots.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

The primary reason Missouri and Nebraska left the Big 12 was distrust of UT.
UT showed by flirting with the PAC those schools were exposed to the risk of being
left in something other than a power conference. Missouri and Nebraska were nervous
and doing their best to find new homes. They succeeded.

The Big 12 refused to extend their GOR last summer. That was not a good signal.
Now all the schools will be in that same position when the GOR expires. Unless
UT guarantees OU they are staying, OU will become very nervous. It's doubtful
OU will trust them. OU will probably go to the SEC. Prediction: turmoil commences
around 2022.

The PAC will not expand without a reason. Sure, PAC people would be delighted if
Michigan and Ohio State joined. Other than that, what reason does the PAC have
to expand? If it is for media expansion there is only 1 or 2 MWC schools that
could contribute. SDSU would be a priority.

If the Pac12 expands they will go after Big 12 teams before any Mountain West School, however this is assuming that the Big 12 collapses which could happen. I will admit I am somewhat ignorant of the fact  as to how every school ranks academically but off the top of my head the only teams that would have a chance are:

-CSU: Brand new stadium, good television market and an okay program over the last couple years would make a good travel partner with Colorado.

-SDSU: Will come down to the other California schools being okay with them in the conference to compete with recruiting and if they actually take initiative and build their own stadium.

-Hawaii: Need to get going constructing their new stadium and getting a more competitive team back on the field wouldn't hurt either. California schools would be the driving force to get them into the conference.

-UNLV: As mentioned the Pac-12 values academics more than anything and UNLV'so medical institution helps them get on this list. The Raiders bringing a new stadium helps as well but they have to start performing better on the field, also wouldn't have to worry about leaving Nevada-Reno in the Mountain West as there's no State interference to keep them together.

There are several other schools that perhaps could be invited as well but glaring issues with certain aspects (Boise State bad academics for example) would keep them from being invited.

Guest #1Stunner
8 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Bullshit.

You know very little about the culture of the PAC12 if you ever think they are going to add a school like SDSU or even UNLV.

Most of the PAC12 is focused on the tradition of the PAC8....They all want to play USC every year.  There are also rivalries between schools like Cal and UCLA.   Stanford and USC.  If they expand to 14 schools, that means the PAC8 schools will go a longer time between playing USC.  They won't do that... or give up historic rivalries. Especially for a school with no tradition.  SDSU is a TV market they will forever own.

The only school worth it to the PAC12 is Texas, and the large Texas market.  SDSU and UNLV will never join the PAC12, because of traditional rivalries.

I believe, and could be wrong, but when Colorado and Utah joined and they set up the divisions.....there was a lot of fighting or discussion about how to do it because the schools didn't want to be cut out of California and then they wanted to keep the rivalries in the Pac-10 at the time which also was about the scheduling. Pac-12 had approached Colorado before about joining but nothing came of it until the last round of expansion.

However at the same time a lot has changed since the last round of expansion where it was all a money grab and not everything has turned out well with some conferences which I think might make them think or at least study expansion a lot closer than they did last time. And personally, I know doesn't mean much, but my opinion is that SDSU is closer to joining the Pac-12 than UNLV is even though I think the chances of either of them getting an invite in the forseeable future is slim to none.

On 4/21/2017 at 6:09 PM, Headbutt said:

The PAC will not be adding any MWC teams by 2020.  The Pac will not be adding any MWC teams in the next 10 or 20 years.  Probably not ever.

I don't mean to be a Negative Nancy, I just don't see it happening.

You're not negative, you're realistic. These lame PAC 12 expansion threads will show up over and over between now and football season. It happens every year, unfortunately. :rolleyes:

19 hours ago, since1670 said:

The primary reason Missouri and Nebraska left the Big 12 was distrust of UT.
UT showed by flirting with the PAC those schools were exposed to the risk of being
left in something other than a power conference. Missouri and Nebraska were nervous
and doing their best to find new homes. They succeeded.

The Big 12 refused to extend their GOR last summer. That was not a good signal.
Now all the schools will be in that same position when the GOR expires. Unless
UT guarantees OU they are staying, OU will become very nervous. It's doubtful
OU will trust them. OU will probably go to the SEC. Prediction: turmoil commences
around 2022.

The PAC will not expand without a reason. Sure, PAC people would be delighted if
Michigan and Ohio State joined. Other than that, what reason does the PAC have
to expand? If it is for media expansion there is only 1 or 2 MWC schools that
could contribute. SDSU would be a priority.

Thanks. It's nice to read somebody talking from knowledge as opposed to from their ass.

Boom goes the dynamite.

16 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

You know very little about the culture of the PAC12 if you ever think they are going to add a school like SDSU or even UNLV.

Most of the PAC12 is focused on the tradition of the PAC8....They all want to play USC every year.  There are also rivalries between schools like Cal and UCLA.   Stanford and USC.  If they expand to 14 schools, that means the PAC8 schools will go a longer time between playing USC.  They won't do that... or give up historic rivalries. Especially for a school with no tradition.  SDSU is a TV market they will forever own.

The only school worth it to the PAC12 is Texas, and the large Texas market.  SDSU and UNLV will never join the PAC12, because of traditional rivalries.

I've lived in California all my life, in non-Pac country of SD for just half a dozen years when I attended SDSU but the rest of my life in the Bay Area and L.A., each of which contain not just one but two Pac schools. Just what are your bona fides in arguing what the "culture" of the Pac is? And don't tell me you live in Utah and that's a Pac state. Lmao at any contention the Utes being in the Pac for half a dozen years somehow gives you credibility to say I'm wrong.

As to rivalries, assuming simply for purposes of argument that actually matters to the Pac, SDSU and UNLV have now been in the same conference for more than two decades and each is the other's principle basketball rival. Before joining the Pac, it had been more than 50 years since Utah and Colorado were in the same conference.

Boom goes the dynamite.