Jump to content
Warbow

PAC 16 -- 2020

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Mano said:

It would be negligent for any of the teams in the Big 12 to have not done some due diligence and looked into what there options are and/or would be if something happens.

 

I agree with you, but @SleepingGiantsFan is  "...pretty sure Oklahoma HASN'T approached the SEC."

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Warbow said:

Hawaii and UNLV are the only logical choices left for the PAC-12 to expand to. It's the only schools left that actually brings something to that conference that they don't already have. Unless they have plans to try and concur the state of Texas, Hawaii and UNLV are pretty their only choices to expand with.  

North

1. Washington

2. Washington St.

3. Oregon

4. Oregon St.

5. Cal

6. Stanford

7. Colorado

South

1. USC

2. UCLA

3. Arizona

4. Arizona St.

5. Utah

6. Hawaii

7. UNLV

I'm convinced that you're just joking. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mano said:

Of the MWC schools, the ones I would think most likely to join the Pac at some point (but not in near future) IMHO:

 

UNLV - all about market, Pac would like to be in Las Vegas. Terrible football and sub-par academics are holding them back. If they were ever to get these things straightened out, they would be a shoe in.

New Mexico - decent academics, good basketball facilities with great fans, small but growing population, but if they were in the Pac they definitely would own the entire state. Holding them back is bad football program and smaller population. If the population continues to grow at a fast pace and they can get it together with their football program, they could be in.

CSU - decent academics, facilities have gotten better, if football & basketball programs continue to grow I could see them getting in at some point. Not sure if CU in the Pac helps or hurts their chances.

 

As for the others:

SDSU - I don't think the California based schools will ever let a Cal State team in the league.

Hawaii - geography kills them.

Boise - best fit football wise, but very little else going for them. Decades away academically.

BYU - not a cultural fit, would never be let in by the more liberal schools in the Pac who are the power brokers in the conference.

AFA - I don't see the Pac taking a military academy.

 

No one else would really be close at this point. 

 

You don't get it at all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nevada Convert said:

I'm convinced that you're just joking. 

I'm convinced you think I should replace UNLV with Nevada. Except the only place Nevada would be going is with Wyoming to the Big Sky.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AztecSU said:

I bet that had I not mentioned CSU you probably wouldn't have taken the time to write this silly response. how bout dat?

You're starting to rival phImbalance for being "right"...

Link to post
Share on other sites

To the Pac xx, Hawaii's early zero week exemption to open the season one weekend earlier than the rest of the nation bodes well for the conference's finances.  Any team playing in Hawaii that season will be able to avail themselves of that exemption.  That means as much as 6 teams could be playing one weekend ahead of the rest of the nation. That's could spell big $$ in play. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Warbow said:

Don't where you getting your information but Hawaii exceeds Pac-12 academic standards.

Wrong. It's #169 in USNWR's national university rankings: https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/data Washington State is the lowest ranked of the 12 Pac schools at #143. At #146 and moving up fast, SDSU will soon catch WSU. Hawaii isn't even close to doing so.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Wrong. It's #169 in USNWR's national university rankings: https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/data Washington State is the lowest ranked of the 12 Pac schools at #143. At #146 and moving up fast, SDSU will soon catch WSU. Hawaii isn't even close to doing so.

Just think what will happen once we're added to the PAC. We'll be in the top 100 in no time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, madeinhawaii said:

To the Pac xx, Hawaii's early zero week exemption to open the season one weekend earlier than the rest of the nation bodes well for the conference's finances.  Any team playing in Hawaii that season will be able to avail themselves of that exemption.  That means as much as 6 teams could be playing one weekend ahead of the rest of the nation. That's could spell big $$ in play. 

Seems like a double edged sword. Sure they get an extra game, but that's also at the risk of losing. Add that to travelling to Hawaii, not sure it spells $$ or spells #%$^. I don't think there would be that many takers based on an extra game alone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Mano said:

The next decade seems a bit fast to me. I see these programs as maybe being around where Utah was in the early 90's when McBride took over in football and Utah had a great basketball program - it took 20 years for Utah to make it from there, and even then due to some fortunate circumstances.

I'd say SDSU is closer to where Utah was at the advent of the MWC but get your point. Over the following dozen years Utah had one of the best G5 football programs whereas SDSU is still flailing away to just get a decent stadium built. The dissenters here will never agree and that's fine but in my not so humble opinion if over the next dozen years SDSU gets the stadium built, puts together a few great football seasons and can figure out a way to award PhDs independent of UCSD, we will be as good a candidate for expansion as any school available to the Pac.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I'd say SDSU is closer to where Utah was at the advent of the MWC but get your point. Over the following dozen years Utah had one of the best G5 football programs whereas SDSU is still flailing away to just get a decent stadium built. The dissenters here will never agree and that's fine but in my not so humble opinion if over the next dozen years SDSU gets the stadium built, puts together a few great football seasons and can figure out a way to award PhDs independent of UCSD, we will be as good a candidate for expansion as any school available to the Pac.

Possible, but that is a whole lot of stuff that would have to fall in place perfectly to get it done in that kind of a time frame. I don't know how the UC or Cal State systems work, but school bureaucracies typically move pretty slowly in my experience.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Mano said:

Possible, but that is a whole lot of stuff that would have to fall in place perfectly to get it done in that kind of a time frame. I don't know how the UC or Cal State systems work, but school bureaucracies typically move pretty slowly in my experience.

True dat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2017 at 2:43 PM, Warbow said:

PAC 16 -- 2020

North

1. Washington

2. Washington St.

3. Oregon

4. Oregon St.

5. Cal

6. Stanford

7. Colorado

8. Boise St.

 

South

1. USC

2. UCLA

3. Arizona

4. Arizona St.

5. Utah

6. Hawaii

7. UNLV

8. San Diego St.

Of course!  How did this not come up sooner?

I can really see UCLA and USC being giddy with excitement at the prosepct of sharing their division a Cal State AND Hawaii and UNLV!

This is DOA.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...