Warbow

PAC 16 -- 2020

On 4/25/2017 at 1:20 PM, Warbow said:

New Mexico and CSU brings nothing but another mouth to feed to the Pac-12. Brings nothing to your TV contract. Who the hell would watch on New Mexico-Washington St game on TV?

UNLV brings a lot. After their stadium is build, they are almost a lock into the Pac-12.

Boise - Like you said, decades away academically.

Hawaii - Geography a very good fit for the Pac-12. Can help bring in the Asian Market that the Pac-12 has been after for years. Distant is the only stumbling block but really not. Shorter flights than West Coast-East coast trips. Brings in a power house women's volleyball and softball programs where there's already rivalries with Pac-12 schools.

All the rest you mentioned once again brings nothing that the Pac-12 doesn't already have and would be just another mouth to feed.

@Warbow- the problem Hawaii has is the PAC-8 will stay together come hell or high water.  That means Hawaii is a long way from Colorado.  

The other problem is let's say you add Hawaii, UNLV, New Mexico and Colorado State.  The average number of Blue Chip recruits by state: 

Pac 8

CA: 40

OR: 2

WA: 4

total: 46

Old WAC PAC

AZ: 4 

HI: 2

NV: 3

CO: 2

NM: .5

total: 11.5

(Texas: 61)

the Area between Ca and Texas is a vast barren wasteland for football recruiting.  The non PAC-8 schools would be committing competitive suicide.   

That's why the PAC-12 is Texas or die.   And if they go Texas those 8 will add teams that are a shorter plane ride.  Their disaster backup plan would have to be 2 CA Cal -State schools. 

1 hour ago, Mano said:

The Cal schools certainly wield the power in the conference. This is not good news for SDSU or Fresno.The original  Pac 8 schools will never allow Cal State schools in a conference with them. The only way the Pac expands is if they can get Texas. I personally prefer it to stay as is, Texas is not a good conference mate, but everyone wants them because they bring money.

Utah is in the Pac and will remain so. Boise likely would never be invited, the others you name would need things to fall perfect, and would likely still be 20 years out. I like all those schools, so would be far from my "worst nightmare".  

I tend to agree with you.   Which is why I said Fresno has a snowballs chance in Hell.  I'm well aware of the UC - Cal State politics.   It's also why Davis and UCSD are forever stuck in D1AA.   In fact, the only thing that might allow Fresno and SDSU is Davis and UCSD wanting to move to the MWC.   

And if the sagebrush four were invited that would be the end of Utah's competitiveness in most sports. 

On 4/23/2017 at 11:38 AM, #1Stunner said:

Don't be dumb. I don't live in Utah (Idaho), and have nothing to do with the University of Utah.

I repeat.  The PAC8 (the real leadership of the PAC12) is very anti-expansion.  The PAC8 is very big into tradition.  They want to play USC, UCLA, CAL, and Stanford every year.  The Oregons and Washingtons also have a very strong historical relationship with the the 4 California schools that matter.  They won't give that up to play a school with no tradition like SDSU or UNLV.    They are at the biggest they will ever expand to (12 teams), unless they can add Texas.   That's it.

If anything, the PAC12 only wants to enter into a scheduling agreement with either the B1G or BIG12.  They can get the benefit of playing those schools, without ever having to expand.  They want nothing to do with further expansion.   Sorry, NO MWC will ever be offered to join the PAC12.

This is where your logic breaks down.  The PAC-8 would like to get to the PAC-8.  Washington doesn't play SC every year now.   Only every other year.   The only way to get back to 8 is by going to 16.

Texas solves their problem but if the can't get Texas they have a problem.   

5 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

I tend to agree with you.   Which is why I said Fresno has a snowballs chance in Hell.  I'm well aware of the UC - Cal State politics.   It's also why Davis and UCSD are forever stuck in D1AA.   In fact, the only thing that might allow Fresno and SDSU is Davis and UCSD wanting to move to the MWC.   

And if the sagebrush four were invited that would be the end of Utah's competitiveness in most sports. 

You seem intent on telling me how much Utah will suck when some super unlikely thing happens because you don't like my honest opinions about expansion. Good luck with that, in the meantime I will be enjoying my team competing in the premiere conference in the western US.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

On 4/25/2017 at 10:20 AM, Chad Sexington said:

Just stating a fact. 

All of these infant bald vaginas, falling back on "triggered" and butt holes like a college student to a safe space, can't handle being offered facts. UTAH has no incentive to back any expansion of the PAC12 without significant financial gain. No present PAC12 school does. Fact. 

Really Utah's opinion doesnt matter.   If the PAC decides it must expand, it will be driven by 1) the PAC-8's strong desire to stay together 2) what it takes to placate the AZ schools and keep CO from going back to the Big 12.  

Utah is the younger brother sitting in the back seat,happy to be along for the ride.

16 minutes ago, Mano said:

You seem intent on telling me how much Utah will suck when some super unlikely thing happens because you don't like my honest opinions about expansion. Good luck with that, in the meantime I will be enjoying my team competing in the premiere conference in the western US.

I think our opinion matches that it must be Texas or trouble.  I'm just pointing out the eastern side will struggle if not connected to CA or TX. 

Just now, sactowndog said:

I think our opinion matches that it must be Texas or trouble.  I'm just pointing out the eastern side will struggle if not connected to CA or TX. 

Explain why they would expand without Texas.

I'm a desperate man
The shit has hit the fan

1 hour ago, sactowndog said:

Utah is the younger brother sitting in the back seat,happy to be along for the ride.

They are in the car though.  

They will grow into their role. Wish them nothing but the best of luck. 

Guest Dr. Dre
48 minutes ago, VandalBasher said:

Of the PAC added schools,  the first two will USU and CSU to add to Utah and CU.

pure comedy. Along with the Big 12 leftovers being a worse confernce than the MWC, yer 0 fer 2.

9 hours ago, NorCalCoug said:

LOL, yeah right.  They get their pick of the cream of the AAC/MWC crop is more like it.

You're assuming that the B12 leftovers are worth anything and keep any semblance of their current media deals.  With Texas and Oklahoma (and most likely Kansas) gone, that conference is not worth spit.  It's G6 regardless of who they might add.  You see it as BYU's entry into the P5 (as does Houston, Cincy and whomever else).  In reality, you'd just be abandoning a G5 conference for a G6 conference. 

SteelCityBlue

November 24th, 2018 at 9:10 PM ^

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

On 4/25/2017 at 1:20 PM, Warbow said:

New Mexico and CSU brings nothing but another mouth to feed to the Pac-12. Brings nothing to your TV contract. Who the hell would watch on New Mexico-Washington St game on TV?

UNLV brings a lot. After their stadium is build, they are almost a lock into the Pac-12.

Boise - Like you said, decades away academically.

Hawaii - Geography a very good fit for the Pac-12. Can help bring in the Asian Market that the Pac-12 has been after for years. Distant is the only stumbling block but really not. Shorter flights than West Coast-East coast trips. Brings in a power house women's volleyball and softball programs where there's already rivalries with Pac-12 schools.

All the rest you mentioned once again brings nothing that the Pac-12 doesn't already have and would be just another mouth to feed.

Ucla l, and Cal to a lesser extent, probably bring in 10x the market that Hawaii wouls bring. Ucla has licensing agreements across Asia. Yes it might bring in a more acceptable time zone for viewership but I think that aspect would  be pretty insignificant. 

8 hours ago, Mano said:

Explain why they would expand without Texas.

Generally I don't think they will.   

But if the other four go to sixteen and make more money then the PAC may be forced to respond or look weak like the Big 12 does today.  

In my opinion, the PAC is already flashing some signs of trouble.  

1). Since the 2000's the PAC has not won a single football or basketball championship.

Big 10: 2 football 1 basketball

Big 12: 2 football 1 basketball

SEC:  9 football  3 basketball

ACC: 3 football 9 basketball

PAC 12: 0 football* 0 basketball

*SC had to vacate their 1 win

2) It has no carriage on Direct TV nationally.  (Try finding Pac12 network in a bar in Indiana.  Can't be done.) 

3) No schools in the top 20 in attendance despite being alone in the nations second largest market with no other competition. (About to change big time)

The only thing preventing the focus being on the PAC is the disfunction in the Big 12.   

1 hour ago, Victor Maitlin said:

You're assuming that the B12 leftovers are worth anything and keep any semblance of their current media deals.  With Texas and Oklahoma (and most likely Kansas) gone, that conference is not worth spit.  It's G6 regardless of who they might add.  You see it as BYU's entry into the P5 (as does Houston, Cincy and whomever else).  In reality, you'd just be abandoning a G5 conference for a G6 conference. 

I agree.  If the Big 12 waits on expansion they are toast.   They need to add and grow now not wait until things are urgent.   

12 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Generally I don't think they will.   

But if the other four go to sixteen and make more money then the PAC may be forced to respond or look weak like the Big 12 does today.  

In my opinion, the PAC is already flashing some signs of trouble.  

1). Since the 2000's the PAC has not won a single football or basketball championship.

Big 10: 2 football 1 basketball

Big 12: 2 football 1 basketball

SEC:  9 football  3 basketball

ACC: 3 football 9 basketball

PAC 12: 0 football* 0 basketball

*SC had to vacate their 1 win

2) It has no carriage on Direct TV nationally.  (Try finding Pac12 network in a bar in Indiana.  Can't be done.) 

3) No schools in the top 20 in attendance despite being alone in the nations second largest market with no other competition. (About to change big time)

The only thing preventing the focus being on the PAC is the disfunction in the Big 12.   

So, again, Pac is not going to expand without Texas. There are no additions to be made that will start bringing NC's in football or basketball, nor that would make DirecTV carry the network, or increase average attendance so that is irrelevant.

I'm a desperate man
The shit has hit the fan

2 hours ago, Victor Maitlin said:

TCU, Oklahoma St, Texas Tech, Baylor, Kansas St, Iowa St, and West Virginia

vs.

MWC and AAC

Ummmm, yes, the former is collectively better and more valuable than the latter by a long shot.  Don't pretend to know what I think or see it as.  I don't think the leftovers will keep their P5 status but I'm also not naive enough to think that that group gets picked apart by the likes of the AAC and MWC.  That's just nonsense.  They will have their pick of the MWC/AAC litter not the other way around and in the end, while not considered P5, will be far superior to any G5 conference that's out there today.

v0icAvfW.jpg

1 hour ago, Mano said:

So, again, Pac is not going to expand without Texas. There are no additions to be made that will start bringing NC's in football or basketball, nor that would make DirecTV carry the network, or increase average attendance so that is irrelevant.

Yep it's a race for the bottom between the Big 12 and the Pac12.  Wonder who will move first.  

Just now, sactowndog said:

Yep it's a race for the bottom between the Big 12 and the Pac12.  Wonder who will move first.  

Pac is going nowhere. Its geographic isolation both make expansion difficult, but also makes it extremely stable, really nowhere else for the west coast teams to go, and as you keep repeating, they are the ones that matter. If any P5 league falls apart, it will likely be the Big 12, with the only other possibility the ACC. 

I'm a desperate man
The shit has hit the fan

11 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

TCU, Oklahoma St, Texas Tech, Baylor, Kansas St, Iowa St, and West Virginia

vs.

MWC and AAC

Ummmm, yes, the former is collectively better and more valuable than the latter by a long shot.  Don't pretend to know what I think or see it as.  I don't think the leftovers will keep their P5 status but I'm also not naive enough to think that that group gets picked apart by the likes of the AAC and MWC.  That's just nonsense.  They will have their pick of the MWC/AAC litter not the other way around and in the end, while not considered P5, will be far superior to any G5 conference that's out there today.

If that group were smart they would go to 16 and put Texas and Oklahoma on the same side.   Give someone on the other side a chance to grow in stature before the GOR ends.   But they can't get aligned to save their own asses.  

Just now, Mano said:

Pac is going nowhere. Its geographic isolation both make expansion difficult, but also makes it extremely stable, really nowhere else for the west coast teams to go, and as you keep repeating, they are the ones that matter. If any P5 league falls apart, it will likely be the Big 12, with the only other possibility the ACC. 

ACC isn't going anywhere either.  Especially once the get their network.   

The Big 12, if they attacked West could have a shot.   But the WVU boat anchor makes that hard.   The PAC has some real vulnerabilities.