Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MAD MACGYVER

Boise State to Drop Wrestling; Will Pursue Baseball

2 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

Soccer always ends up being a Title 9 casualty at most universities.  

It's interesting to me the decline in wrestling over the last few decades.  Everyone used to have wrestling back in the day.  BYU dropped it when I was a student there. 

In the 70s, there were like 700 programs.  

Today there are only 76.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_wrestling_programs

http://newsok.com/article/2575962

This is a pretty old article detailing the decline around the time when I was at BYU.  A significant amount of schools have dropped it since this time as well.

The only positive from so many universities dropping wrestling programs over the past decades is that the level of depth and competition among the remaining programs has vastly improved.  The historical blue blood programs are in large part still dominant but there are several schools that are very competitive that in past decades were nowhere to be found in the top tier D1 wrestling ranks.  In the NCAA tournament now days we see top seeds getting beaten regularly which never used to happen.  The tournament is more exciting to watch than ever before.

12 hours ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

I would absolutely love to see more ncaa D1 hockey in the West.  Hockey is an expensive ncaa sport, especially at the ncaa D1 level.  Travel costs in the West would be significant as well due to the heavily weighted Midwest and Northeast foot print.  That said I think there are several western schools watching to see how successful Arizona State Univ will be going forward having made the jump to ncaa D1 this past season.  ASU went 10-19-3 this season their first full season in D1.  ASU still doesn't have a conference affiliation which could be an issue going forward and would be an issue for any schools looking to add ncaa D1 hockey in the west.

It's very much a Midwest and Northeast sport at the ncaa D1 level save for Alaska Anchorage, Alaska Fairbanks, Air Force, Colorado College, Denver Univ, Alabama Huntsville and now ASU.

I think there's a reason it is where it is.

11 hours ago, Cowboy Junky said:

Shorter than Rypien? That's 5'4" in heels. Yes, I saw Rypien in heels....I'm not ashamed to admit it.

We'll see who gets picked first. Hill did pretty damn good overall at the combine and has been getting a lot of love.

We know who'll get picked first between Rypien and Allen.

I think you can get him later and still have a star on your hands.  RB has been significantly devalued by the NFL.  There's very few 25-30 carry guys anymore, I'd take a flyer on him in round 3 or 4 if I was a GM in need of a back.

11 hours ago, Cowboy Junky said:

Agreed. I keep hearing people say trade up for McCaffrey. Screw that. Trade up for a left tackle and get Hill in the third round. Win win.

I just hope he doesn't end up at a turd.

I kind of feel like most of the LT are turds in this draft.

10 hours ago, Lobo Amor said:

Yes it is, and HS wrestling is now at an all-time high. D1 programs are now putting more money into their wrestling programs due to rising interest. The national championships sold out and had over 60K in attendance. 

How do you figure given that there are fewer than 100 schools that host the sport nationwide?  

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

3 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

The only positive from so many universities dropping wrestling programs over the past decades is that the level of depth and competition among the remaining programs has vastly improved.  The historical blue blood programs are in large part still dominant but there are several schools that are very competitive that in past decades were nowhere to be found in the top tier D1 wrestling ranks.  In the NCAA tournament now days we see top seeds getting beaten regularly which never used to happen.  The tournament is more exciting to watch than ever before.

It seems like it's more of a Midwest thing, and Wyoming's culture and history certainly fits in to that.  Growing up it seemed like Iowa State and the Oklahoma schools were big players in the sport.  

It's unfortunate that it's become such a casualty due to the Title 9 stuff.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

12 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Baseball will earn a little more money but wrestling is a little less expensive.  If our program did not take a nose dive and was still among the nations best I doubt it gets cut.  Baseball will draw some initial energy because it is new and in a new stadium in a great location.  If the program is successful it will be supported, no doubt.  Lots of baseball fans in town and a surprising amount of D1 talent for a cold weather small city.

At face value I would think baseball would be quite a lot more expensive than wrestling.  larger roster, more travel, more games, more equipment, greater facility costs.  Obviously, BSU thinks baseball can work in their market area.  I would think cutting wrestling has less to do to do with cutting costs and more to do with Title IX compliance and the desire to build a baseball program.  Think down the road might BSU be betting that having a baseball program makes them more attractive to PAC or BIG XII inclusion.  Yes yes I know all the reasons why the PAC will never add BSU but lets face it only a handful of core PAC and Big XII schools have wrestling programs but they all play baseball and some of the best programs in the nation.  I'm just asking here as I've no idea what the real motivations are.

23 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

It seems like it's more of a Midwest thing, and Wyoming's culture and history certainly fits in to that.  Growing up it seemed like Iowa State and the Oklahoma schools were big players in the sport.  

It's unfortunate that it's become such a casualty due to the Title 9 stuff.

Wrestling is very popular in the Northeast as well.  Wyoming's wrestling future isn't necessarily all that solid.  At the moment the program is doing well and is not in danger of being dropped.  Wyoming, along with Air Force and a few other schools recently joined the Big XII which is both a positive and a negative.  It's a positive because Wyoming now gets to wrestle Iowa State, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State which improves the level of competition and opens up fertile recruiting and brand recognition opportunities.  It's potentially a negative though as the Big XII's future as a conference is far from solid.  I also worry about future Wyoming state revenue and wrestling is always one of the first sports cut due to fan intertest but also Title IX considerations.

Just now, NorthWestCowboy said:

Wrestling is very popular in the Northeast as well.  Wyoming's wrestling future isn't necessarily all that solid.  At the moment the program is doing well and is not in danger of being dropped.  Wyoming, along with Air Force and a few other schools recently joined the Big XII which is both a positive and a negative.  It's a positive because Wyoming now gets to wrestle Iowa State, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State which improves the level of competition and opens up fertile recruiting and brand recognition opportunities.  It's potentially a negative though as the Big XII's future as a conference is far from solid.

Even if the league broke up, I think the wrestling schools would make some sort of loose coalition to have meets and stuff together.

13 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

Even if the league broke up, I think the wrestling schools would make some sort of loose coalition to have meets and stuff together.

I agree but it depends on a few things.  Where do Oklahoma and OSU end up?  If it's in the B1G or PAC then their wrestling programs go there.  If it's the SEC which does not sponsor wresting then there is a good chance the same coalition of schools remain intact.  If OSU and OU take their wrestling elsewhere it will be a big hit to Iowa State, WVU and those that remain including Wyoming.  

24 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

At face value I would think baseball would be quite a lot more expensive than wrestling.  larger roster, more travel, more games, more equipment, greater facility costs.  Obviously, BSU thinks baseball can work in their market area.  I would think cutting wrestling has less to do to do with cutting costs and more to do with Title IX compliance and the desire to build a baseball program.  Think down the road might BSU be betting that having a baseball program makes them more attractive to PAC or BIG XII inclusion.  Yes yes I know all the reasons why the PAC will never add BSU but lets face it only a handful of core PAC and Big XII schools have wrestling programs but they all play baseball and some of the best programs in the nation.  I'm just asking here as I've no idea what the real motivations are.

This lines up pretty well with how I interpreted the move. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

21 minutes ago, creeper86 said:

You and Cincy rolling around the campus lawn doesn't count.

You and your Gay Area mentality. 

Do you think about anything else other than Gay stuff?

This is getting really ugly.  People are pissed at how this was handled.  Friend at the AD posted on Facebook this was the hardest day he had ever worked.  Lots of angry e-mails and even football season ticket cancellations.  Lots of reporters buzzing around looking to draw blood.

There's a gofundme for Boise wrestling now.  I remember our efforts when we dropped wrestling. Bake sales, car washes, and all kinds of crap. T-shirts were worn around campus calling our AD and school Pres cowards. 

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

1 hour ago, FalesGoesB4Carr said:

There's a gofundme for Boise wrestling now.  I remember our efforts when we dropped wrestling. Bake sales, car washes, and all kinds of crap. T-shirts were worn around campus calling our AD and school Pres cowards. 

Things are really heated right now around campus.  Our AD really screwed this up.  We handled this with a complete lack of class.  The coaches learned the program was dropped from the media.  The team was informed by a compliance nobody.  We just signed two kids and had another on a visit.

I was never a wrestling fan so maybe it is not my place to be upset but this leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I can understand why people are upset about dropping wrestling, and more so the way they handled telling the wrestling program folks (assuming what we have heard is accurate), but I don't see how anyone can think that this is a bad move.

Honestly, does anyone attend or contribute to the wrestling program?

I think the baseball team will definitely get far more attendance and general interest than the wrestling program ever did.And I understand we have had a very good program for quite a while, but when I went to school I never heard of anyone caring at all about it. Nor have I heard anything about it since outside of the occasional sports page report.

I do question the comments about beer at the stadium and the SBOE not allowing it. I was under the impression that the BBall games we had against Idaho in neutral locations had the option of serving beer/wine. I had heard Kustra shot down the one at CenturyLink, but the one at the Ford Center (Vandals were the home team) did have alcohol sales.

Can anyone confirm/refute? 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok