FormerFrog

Former Frog's thoughts on the MWC - 2017 edition

26 minutes ago, Fido said:

To restate you rationale--BYU can give up additional annual TV revenue and move most games from ESPN channels to CBS Sports and the occasional non-TV broadcast game you get in the MWC (one of those straws that broke the back during the last realignment phase) and just ask the LDS Church for extra money to make up the difference.  All in exchange for the opportunity for a NY6 bowl.  If you truly think that is a valued exchange for BYU I'm not sure what to tell you.  You argue like the MWC is in an overall position of strength in the whole picture.

If BYU decided a shot at the bowl game was the most important thing and they wanted to join a G5 conference, what would be the intrigue to join the MWC given the ugly split and continued boycott of some MWC teams vs. joining a conference like the AAC--where they have more money and stronger teams?  Let alone joining as football only and leaving all other sports in the WCC?

Does BYU have a standing invite from the AAC?

5812325074_d6d40a5a2c_b.jpg

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, RAMification said:

I know, it's all conjecture.  And BYU is very proud.  On the other hand, for how long will BYU enjoy never sniffing the CFB PLAYOFFS, or a top #10 ranking at year-end, or a Conference Championship, or a CCG playoff game.  The MWC Champ is about 8 times more likely to get into the Access Bowls, vs. an Indy like BYU (who plays a murderous schedule, with no rewards).

It's pure Math & SOS... and BYU will likely keep cutting their nose off, to prove some experiment that never works out for them.  

Colorado State fans are living every BYU fan's dream.

You guys are part of an elite football conference, full of packed stadiums, with wonderful football schedules.  Great exposure on national TV.

And amazing Bowl ties, like the Las Vegas Bowl, Poinsettia, Hawaii, New Mexico, and Potato.

I wish BYU could experience that.  BYU is suffering tremendously as a Independent.  It was a huge mistake!!!

Guest #1Stunner
7 minutes ago, RiverCityBronco said:

BYU is in the process of finalizing another contract with ESPN, according to Tom Holmoe.

There has not been any discussion with the AAC recently.  

Accordingly to Tom Holmoe, ESPN likes using BYU (and probably Boise) to fill scheduling needs with other conferences.  This works out great for BYU fans, who want the big games, together with our MWC November schedule.

Guest #1Stunner
53 minutes ago, RAMification said:

Lets think about this rationally... does BYU need $1M to $3M more in annual TV revenue (whatever that $ amount is) from a dying ESPN... or does BYU need another shot or 2 at going 11-1 or 12-0 in the MWC, then getting in the Playoffs, then maybe fighting their way into the National Title game??  The LDS CHurch can provide BYU w/ all the $$'s it needs.  It's prestige that BYU thrives on.  And it's grown rather thin since leaving the MWC.  Even Bronco abandoned the ship.  

I'm gonna make a wild guesstimate that BYU, playing in a NY's Bowl would yield an incremental $50M in funding/offerings to BYU & the Church... playing a Playoff Bowl would yield $100M, playing the National Final Playoff would yield about $200M, and winning a NC would yield about $400M to both BYU/LDS Church.

A MWC championship & 11-1 record would earn BYU an CFP Bowl (it did for BSU & UHo & others), and could very well earn BYU a spot in the Playoffs.  Never likely as an Indy.

1632051.jpg

2 hours ago, RAMification said:

I know, it's all conjecture.  And BYU is very proud.  On the other hand, for how long will BYU enjoy never sniffing the CFB PLAYOFFS, or a top #10 ranking at year-end, or a Conference Championship, or a CCG playoff game.  The MWC Champ is about 8 times more likely to get into the Access Bowls, vs. an Indy like BYU (who plays a murderous schedule, with no rewards).

It's pure Math & SOS... and BYU will likely keep cutting their nose off, to prove some experiment that never works out for them.  

Do teams here sniff the CFB playoffs?  Do teams here finish in the top 10 since BYU left?  

There's lots of things I don't like about independence, many which we can't change, but I'm about as comfortable as I've been in a while with where BYU is at.

I'd rather see where my team measures up against the better teams than go 10-2 and wonder what could have been.  We've done the latter before.  

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

1 hour ago, RiverCityBronco said:

No--but if they were going to consider joining a non-P5 conference the AAC would be one to consider if they were open to expansion.

http://www.heraldextra.com/sports/college/byu/byu-ad-tom-holmoe-indicates-steady-course-no-big-changes/article_c4d4ae29-4feb-532f-aead-b4ecbf431806.html  -  Tom Holmoe update from March 1, 2017:

Holmoe wants to make sure he doesn’t close any doors because there is no knowing what will happen but he explained that joining a non-”Power 5” league isn’t on the table at the moment.

“We are in a good space now,” Holmoe said. “We feel good that we will continue to chart this path. I think our coaches feel good about where we are at and what we can accomplish.”

BYU's outlook on their current status is much different than the view being communicated in this thread from the MWC members.  They aren't saying never, but they also aren't saying anytime soon.  He also said the TV situation with ESPN is going great:

“We have had numerous discussions about extending the contract and with two years to go, this probably about the time to start coming to fruition on that.”

Holmoe said that even with all the new media out there, he doesn’t see anything that will change the partnership.

“I think we grow together,” Holmoe said. “We’ve been able to do some things on the new platforms that don’t conflict with the contract. A great example has been how willing they’ve been to let us do things with BYUtv. We have the best of both worlds to have both of those opportunities.”

BYU is a nice rich school with fine athletic programs but they are not a difference maker to any conference..They would just be another mouth to feed in the MW..

They appear to be quite happy with independent football and basketball in the WCC.  The MW moved on without them..Just let it go..

On 3/2/2017 at 5:47 AM, RamSack said:

Rice would bring shitty sports, big market, great academics...just like SJSU but to the east.  This might be good for the league by pushing Utah St and Boise St to the west.

Since when does CSU-San José have "...great academics???"

3 hours ago, nvspuds said:

BYU is a nice rich school with fine athletic programs but they are not a difference maker to any conference..They would just be another mouth to feed in the MW..

They appear to be quite happy with independent football and basketball in the WCC.  The MW moved on without them..Just let it go..

thanks for the laughs.  Good stuff.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

Jack..You like to hang around here and that is fine, but BYU coming back to the MW would not mean a better tv deal, better bowls or additional exposure..Laugh it up but you know this is true.  Though I think BYU should be in a major conference, you would not be a difference maker at that level at all..

BYU is happy where they are and the MW has moved on..Let it go...

• Like 2

I believe the comment above  is correct. BYU in a NY6 game would bring significantly higher fund raising and contributions. It would also bring greater media exposure for the school. The benefits from one NY6 game would offset the ESPN money for years.

Football recruiting may be impacted if BYU continues as they are. The players have nothing to play for except  pride and a low level bowl. That will not attract high level athletes.

I believe the comment above  is correct. BYU in a NY6 game would bring significantly higher fund raising and contributions. It would also bring greater media exposure for the school and church. The benefits from one NY6 game would offset the ESPN money for years.

Football recruiting may be impacted if BYU continues as they are. The players have nothing to play for except  pride and a low level bowl. That will not attract high level athletes.

6 minutes ago, since1670 said:

I believe the comment above  is correct. BYU in a NY6 game would bring significantly higher fund raising and contributions. It would also bring greater media exposure for the school and church. The benefits from one NY6 game would offset the ESPN money for years.

BYU is right around other top G5s in 2016 for recruiting.  I don't think they will see a drop off.  

4 hours ago, nvspuds said:

Jack..You like to hang around here and that is fine, but BYU coming back to the MW would not mean a better tv deal, better bowls or additional exposure..Laugh it up but you know this is true.  Though I think BYU should be in a major conference, you would not be a difference maker at that level at all..

BYU is happy where they are and the MW has moved on..Let it go...

I don't think BYU can help you with your bowls.  BYU means more money for this league and more games on TV.  I don't know how you could see it any other way.  They aren't "just another mouth to feed".

2 hours ago, since1670 said:

BYU's recruiting has been fine the last few years, even better with the new coaching staff than under Bronco.  The increase in talent hasn't necessarily translated to a special season but that's because the schedules are more difficult.

Jack..I am not convinced BYU would mean more money for the MW..Remember, you would be playing 8 MW schools every year.  That hardly translates to more times on TV.  BYU basketball is fine but not a nationally recognized program..And once again, the bulk of your season would be spent playing MW schools.  I know you BYU posters love to come on here and rip the MW..That's cool..You all believe that your school is way way way better than the schools in the MW.  Believe what you wish.  But the only thing that separates BYU is they are an independent.  That is your entire cache..Coming back to the MW takes that away..You would just be one of several schools making up a conference..

That hardly benefits the MW other than providing a game on the schedule.

I am not saying this to demean your school or your programs but this is how it is.  Personally, I think BYU should be in a major conference but independence works for you.

BYU is happy as a independent..The MW has moved on...let it go..

15 hours ago, RamSack said:

I assumed it was based on other threads, but I'm no expert.  Wiki shows that it's a good school, I think...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Jose_State_University#Rankings

SJSU computer science alumni make relatively huge incomes because the school is located in the heart of Silicon Valley. However, from what I understand, SJSU graduates otherwise don't tend to make extraordinary money and if you want a quality athletics experience as a student and alumnus, avoid SJSU like the plague.

Despite being the oldest of the 23 campuses in the California State University system, SJSU remains a "regional" university. Why? The only answer I can fathom is because the faculty have not been unsuccessful in bringing in significant research grant money. Why? Because the average undergraduate curriculum is nothing special and the graduate programs are collectively not well regarded. I'll let a Spartan correct me if I'm wrong but SJSU appears to be quite similar to CSU Northridge. CSUN has excellent engineering, physical therapy and music programs and is one of the best low-cost universities in the country for preparing students to go on to law school because it has quality undergraduate political science and history programs. However, unless you major in one of those fields, a CSUN degree is nothing special so students obtaining PhDs from the best schools have no interest in working there.

Boom goes the dynamite.