FormerFrog

Former Frog's thoughts on the MWC - 2017 edition

On 3/1/2017 at 7:19 AM, westfan said:

I thought most of the Big 12 expansion talk ended with them saying there was no one worthy of an invitation. Am I wrong or is something trying to brew?

You're right. The NCAA granted the Big 12 a football championship game even though they have 10 members. So the Big 12 got what they wanted all along. 

14 minutes ago, hawkeyelobo said:

Why would a TCU fan make all that up? Wondering what his motive is. Totally made up, yet everyone's replying back as if what he wrote is valid when it's clearly a prank.

It's the "bored factor ". They ( and BYU) used to be part of this conference. Since they've left for 'greener pastures' they have buyers remorse- they won't admit it though- but yet both start threads on their old home conference site. 

They love the attention they USED to get. 

Ignore or play along , it's up to you. Some folks on here play along because ( I think ) they still remember the ties of the old conference.

EDIT-and apparently BYU is really annoying to the old school MWC. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hawkeyelobo said:

Why would a TCU fan make all that up? Wondering what his motive is. Totally made up, yet everyone's replying back as if what he wrote is valid when it's clearly a prank.

As I recall, Former Frog is actually a BYU fan.  You would have to go back to some of his original posts to find that info.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Zoomie said:

I am really not trying to be argumentative here, but I have no idea what you are talking about.  Back when BSU and SDSU were leaving for the AAC, Air Force turned down the Big 12 and committed itself to the MWC, a move, that could be argued, saved the conference.  There was no threat to leave the MWC, but there was a request for acknowledgement that less conference games were better to maintain 4 OOC games for AF with 2 of them annually being Army and Navy.  Things might have changed with our new AD, but I can assure you that AF would like to remain in the MW, as it provides a home for a lot (not all) of our sports making scheduling and finances a bit more palatable.

It was really a threat but MWC was thinking of playing more than 8 conference games in a season, Air Force objected saying it would financially hurt the school because of their OOC scheduling and said if MWC did go through with that (which I don't think at the time any of the president's were in favor of) they would look outside the conference for other solutions. Like I said, there was really no one in favor of playing more than 8 conference games but when the discussion was going on that was Air Force's stance.

13 hours ago, suralexander said:

It is the conference that dictates the number of games.  I think the requirement is everyone in the division must be played.  Last I checked to qualify as a DI football conference you have to have 6 football playing schools.  Now that the NCAA allows you to play championship conference games with only ten teams I believe you can play as little as 5 conference games as long as everyone in the division is played.

The other requirement is that you have to play 5 home games.

Thank you.

Guest #1Stunner
On 3/1/2017 at 0:41 PM, #1Stunner said:

I'm calling on Central Florida and Temple to join the MWC.

11 hours ago, masterfrog said:

As I recall, Former Frog is actually a BYU fan.  You would have to go back to some of his original posts to find that info.

He is not a BYU fan.  He is an AAC guy.  Central Florida / Temple fan.

Just my 2cents... not wishing for huge MWC changes (other than continuous improvement among our teams), and I like watching BYU flail away as an Indy as much as anybody.  However the MWC will continue to get raided by P5 conferences, and so it is very wise to make invites & alliances pro-actively ... for college Prez's that means "before" the raids occur.  Not after the raids occur, then de-invite the new kid (BSU), then re-invite the new kid (BSU).  That was college Prez's trying to be business men.

Only a couple of moves make the MWC significantly better, IMHO (and adding just any 2 Texas teams ain't among them), and which make geographic sense:

#1)  Adding WSU Shockers for MBB & Oly's only.  Let them re-start their Fball Program as UTSA did (D1AA to D1A to CUSA), but no promises to add them for Fball unless or until they prove their worth.  In the meantime let the Shockers help the MWC in MBB (we need help guys, especially in national awareness & physical toughness in the Dance), WBB, Vball, Baseball... and expand the beach-head the MWC already has in the KS/Okla area, for awareness/recruiting (some great athletes come outta there).  No revenue drain, since they have no Fball, and come with most of their own MBB Credits... creative negotiations can be done here.

#2) Adding BYU for Fball only... possibly even as an Associate Member where we give them 4 to 5 games/yr, and they do not get to play in our ccG... possibly as a Full Fball Member down the road.... possibly a fULL Conference member in all sports at some point.

#3) Adding UHouston for all sports.  The AAC (other than UCF/USF) is rather unappealing for any Texas Fan-base for travel.  Still the AAC has been good for UHo thus far.  Maybe a MWC w/ a strong Boise/CSU/AFA/SDSU + BYU would be a bit more interesting?

#4) SMU makes an attractive travel partner for UHo (if they want one?), and they're highly ranked academically, and in DFW TV market area (as was TCU).

#5) U Tulsa... a stretch, however very near to Wichita, and they continue to find ways to Win in Fball & a strong MBB tradition from their original MoValley roots.

I'm sure there's others that deserve discussion (UCF, USF, UTEP), but they seem a bit out there for now.  

Your thoughts???

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, RAMification said:

Just my 2cents... not wishing for huge MWC changes (other than continuous improvement among our teams), and I like watching BYU flail away as an Indy as much as anybody.  However the MWC will continue to get raided by P5 conferences, and so it is very wise to make invites & alliances pro-actively ... for college Prez's that means "before" the raids occur.  Not after the raids occur, then de-invite the new kid (BSU), then re-invite the new kid (BSU).  That was college Prez's trying to be business men.

Only a couple of moves make the MWC significantly better, IMHO (and adding just any 2 Texas teams ain't among them), and which make geographic sense:

#1)  Adding WSU Shockers for MBB & Oly's only.  Let them re-start their Fball Program as UTSA did (D1AA to D1A to CUSA), but no promises to add them for Fball unless or until they prove their worth.  In the meantime let the Shockers help the MWC in MBB (we need help guys, especially in national awareness & physical toughness in the Dance), WBB, Vball, Baseball... and expand the beach-head the MWC already has in the KS/Okla area, for awareness/recruiting (some great athletes come outta there).  No revenue drain, since they have no Fball, and come with most of their own MBB Credits... creative negotiations can be done here.

#2) Adding BYU for Fball only... possibly even as an Associate Member where we give them 4 to 5 games/yr, and they do not get to play in our ccG... possibly as a Full Fball Member down the road.... possibly a fULL Conference member in all sports at some point.

#3) Adding UHouston for all sports.  The AAC (other than UCF/USF) is rather unappealing for any Texas Fan-base for travel.  Still the AAC has been good for UHo thus far.  Maybe a MWC w/ a strong Boise/CSU/AFA/SDSU + BYU would be a bit more interesting?

#4) SMU makes an attractive travel partner for UHo (if they want one?), and they're highly ranked academically, and in DFW TV market area (as was TCU).

#5) U Tulsa... a stretch, however very near to Wichita, and they continue to find ways to Win in Fball & a strong MBB tradition from their original MoValley roots.

I'm sure there's others that deserve discussion (UCF, USF, UTEP), but they seem a bit out there for now.  

Your thoughts???

Wichita State is the only one of those would accept a MW invite, and Craig Thompson publicly said we weren't interested in them. No team will leave the AAC for the MW, and BYU has no desire to put football in the MW.

I think Wichita State could be a good addition (to balance Hawaii), but it doesn't sound like the interest would be mutual. 

32 minutes ago, RAMification said:

1632051.jpg

• Like 1

Ur guess is as good as mine as to "who would consider moving to the MWC", AND likewise my guess is as good as yours.  The one thing we know is that Conference alignments can be "very fluid" or "very staid".

The MWC can sit flat-footed, or they can become pro-active.  I've seen what occurs when the MWC only re-acts to P5 raids.  We look like fools!!  EXHIBITS:

#1) Waiting until UU & then TCU leave before inviting BSU.

#2) Then finally inviting BSU, then uninviting BSU, then re-inviting BSU.  Then losing BSU & SDSU to the BE, then regaining them w/ concessions given to BSU.

#3) having to be told by Frez & USU that BYU's being themselves & self-dealing to the MWC's harm... and then finally reacting.  

Amateurs!  I'd like to see what occurs when the MWC gets aggressive & pro-active in a business-like Merger & Acquisition manner --- not like college Prez's who have their thumbs up their butts & noses in the rarified air of their own perfume.  

• Like 1

I agree that the MWC should be more aggressive in looking out for the conference as a whole.  But proposing things like adding BYU for football only is really out in left field--ignoring recent things like the way things went down in the last round of expansion and Holmoe's comments that the relationship with ESPN is strong and he expects to begin discussing an extension to their TV deal this year.  Also--adding Houston.  Why would Houston give up the bigger money of the AAC to join the MWC?  The promise of more $$$?  Prestige?  The plan has to benefit those who you are extending invitations to.

14 minutes ago, Fido said:

1632051.jpg

I know, it's all conjecture.  And BYU is very proud.  On the other hand, for how long will BYU enjoy never sniffing the CFB PLAYOFFS, or a top #10 ranking at year-end, or a Conference Championship, or a CCG playoff game.  The MWC Champ is about 8 times more likely to get into the Access Bowls, vs. an Indy like BYU (who plays a murderous schedule, with no rewards).

It's pure Math & SOS... and BYU will likely keep cutting their nose off, to prove some experiment that never works out for them.  

• Like 2

Lets think about this rationally... does BYU need $1M to $3M more in annual TV revenue (whatever that $ amount is) from a dying ESPN... or does BYU need another shot or 2 at going 11-1 or 12-0 in the MWC, then getting in the Playoffs, then maybe fighting their way into the National Title game??  The LDS CHurch can provide BYU w/ all the $$'s it needs.  It's prestige that BYU thrives on.  And it's grown rather thin since leaving the MWC.  Even Bronco abandoned the ship.  

I'm gonna make a wild guesstimate that BYU, playing in a NY's Bowl would yield an incremental $50M in funding/offerings to BYU & the Church... playing a Playoff Bowl would yield $100M, playing the National Final Playoff would yield about $200M, and winning a NC would yield about $400M to both BYU/LDS Church.

A MWC championship & 11-1 record would earn BYU an CFP Bowl (it did for BSU & UHo & others), and could very well earn BYU a spot in the Playoffs.  Never likely as an Indy.

19 minutes ago, RAMification said:

Lets think about this rationally... does BYU need $1M to $3M more in annual TV revenue (whatever that $ amount is) from a dying ESPN... or does BYU need another shot or 2 at going 11-1 or 12-0 in the MWC, then getting in the Playoffs, then maybe fighting their way into the National Title game??  The LDS CHurch can provide BYU w/ all the $$'s it needs.  It's prestige that BYU thrives on.  And it's grown rather thin since leaving the MWC.  Even Bronco abandoned the ship.  

I'm gonna make a wild guesstimate that BYU, playing in a NY's Bowl would yield an incremental $50M in funding/offerings to BYU & the Church... playing a Playoff Bowl would yield $100M, playing the National Final Playoff would yield about $200M, and winning a NC would yield about $400M to both BYU/LDS Church.

A MWC championship & 11-1 record would earn BYU an CFP Bowl (it did for BSU & UHo & others), and could very well earn BYU a spot in the Playoffs.  Never likely as an Indy.

To restate you rationale--BYU can give up additional annual TV revenue and move most games from ESPN channels to CBS Sports and the occasional non-TV broadcast game you get in the MWC (one of those straws that broke the back during the last realignment phase) and just ask the LDS Church for extra money to make up the difference.  All in exchange for the opportunity for a NY6 bowl.  If you truly think that is a valued exchange for BYU I'm not sure what to tell you.  You argue like the MWC is in an overall position of strength in the whole picture.

If BYU decided a shot at the bowl game was the most important thing and they wanted to join a G5 conference, what would be the intrigue to join the MWC given the ugly split and continued boycott of some MWC teams vs. joining a conference like the AAC--where they have more money and stronger teams?  Let alone joining as football only and leaving all other sports in the WCC?

4 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

He is not a BYU fan.  He is an AAC guy.  Central Florida / Temple fan.

You mean one of those pseudo P6 idiots in his attempt to demean his perceived G4?   Priceless. 

• Like 1