FormerFrog

Former Frog's thoughts on the MWC - 2017 edition

Gonzaga would never come to the MWC, it would hurt their SOS to much

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

47 minutes ago, LaradiseCowboy said:

I was mostly being facetious. Anyone who saw the cougar board leading up to the Poinsettia Bowl knows what I'm talking about. Glad I wasn't around when BYU was still in the conference. I'm sure Gonzaga has a much classier fan base though.

Not sure where you're going with that, Cougar Board 'n'all. TCU's been the sole Christian school who's been a member of the MW...

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

1 hour ago, Wyovanian said:

Not sure where you're going with that, Cougar Board 'n'all. TCU's been the sole Christian school who's been a member of the MW...

Mormons consider themselves Christians.

https://www.lds.org/new-era/1998/05/are-mormons-christians?lang=eng

The only people that don't view them as "Christian" are non-denoms. The same people who think Catholics aren't "Christian". But that's enough theological lesson for today's MWC board.

Union.jpg.6989c32e721d578d3952602294d1af90.jpgCampus500x283.jpg.208ead7433af78ce44bb775b8561f0c7.jpg

Snowies.jpg.8548e47a8f188d64d1a93ecde4744b11.jpgIMG_1401.JPG.cfa8ec5eeb3ac75f090d8d5e59dd0805.JPG

9 hours ago, pokebball said:

I tend to look at expansion options in terms of value-add.  What is the value add to the MWC?  Would we be better off financially with a prospective candidate than we are currently.  And if so, by how much.  Will it help us in our recruiting (is the candidate in a part of the country where many of our schools recruit?).  What kind of bowl game revenues do you bring to the table?  What kind of NCAA basketball credits can you bring to the table?  What impact would the candidate have on our next television contract negotiation?

When looking at the value the schools would provide first and foremost you would get several State Flagship Universities all with Facilities that fit into the Mountain West Conference. On top of that you would get a competitive product on the field, NDSU in particular already has a reputation of being a giant killer (could easily be another Boise State)  which would give the conference another big-name team as it were.

Recruiting if we were to get schools in Texas and the Dakotas would provide more MWC football exposure which would potentially even help out on a TV deal not having all of the games being scheduled so late in the afternoon. In terms of bowl games it might even also open up some Midwest Bowl tie ins against the Big Ten, Mac, Big 12, CUSA, ect. In terms of basketball I'm not as aware as I don't follow the sport religiously.

7 hours ago, LaradiseCowboy said:

Mormons consider themselves Christians.

https://www.lds.org/new-era/1998/05/are-mormons-christians?lang=eng

The only people that don't view them as "Christian" are non-denoms. The same people who think Catholics aren't "Christian". But that's enough theological lesson for today's MWC board.

And ph' considers himself intelligent. Doesn't change the facts of the map...

And you're wrong. Most theologians and religious scholars don't consider them Christians either...

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

9 hours ago, LaradiseCowboy said:

I think it's been proven that Christian universities don't work well in the MWC. It always turns into being the "holier than thou" vs. the "uncivilized hillbillies" mantra.

No problem - Catholics (Gonzaga) aren't Christians anyway

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2016/03/27/hate-pastor-condemns-baptists-who-marry-outside-the-faith-catholics-arent-christians/

http://www.born-again-christian.info/catholics.htm

6 minutes ago, roswellcoug said:

Eh, they're Jesuits, so they're barely even Catholics. ;) 

14 minutes ago, roswellcoug said:

7 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Eh, they're Jesuits, so they're barely even Catholics. ;) 

So then the Jesuits are even less Christian? :ph34r:

24 minutes ago, roswellcoug said:

Makes sense. Why would a religious ideology that has its roots in the Protestant Reformation, which occurred thousands of years after the establishment of the church, want to admit that Catholics are Christian?? That would go against one of the primary tenants of their faith! From a secular (non biased) perspective they are all Christian.  

P.S. - the source you cited has "Christian Channels" with sub tabs that include "Christian", "Mormon", and "Catholic" lol. :huh:

Union.jpg.6989c32e721d578d3952602294d1af90.jpgCampus500x283.jpg.208ead7433af78ce44bb775b8561f0c7.jpg

Snowies.jpg.8548e47a8f188d64d1a93ecde4744b11.jpgIMG_1401.JPG.cfa8ec5eeb3ac75f090d8d5e59dd0805.JPG

1 hour ago, LaradiseCowboy said:

Makes sense. Why would a religious ideology that has its roots in the Protestant Reformation, which occurred thousands of years after the establishment of the church, want to admit that Catholics are Christian?? That would go against one of the primary tenants of their faith! From a secular (non biased) perspective they are all Christian.  

P.S. - the source you cited has "Christian Channels" with sub tabs that include "Christian", "Mormon", and "Catholic" lol. :huh:

Well not thousands of years, but maybe about 1,400.

5812325074_d6d40a5a2c_b.jpg

9 hours ago, Wyovanian said:

Yeah, tCu is really "Christian" :blink:

"The 2010 TCU Visual Identity Style Guide guide released by the Office of Marketing and Communication states that on all official university publications and external advertisements, the university’s name should appear as TCU.

As early as 1980, Bill Koehler, who was then vice chancellor for academic affairs, and others began using “TCU” to refer to the university on recruiting trips.

“The objective was not to dismiss or belittle the word ‘Christian,’ the objective was to clarify the university’s relationship to the religion,” Koehler said."

https://www.tcu360.com/story/15403tradition-defines-c-tcu/

Reading this quote in May of last year, "Pubic" Hair Thompson PUBLICLY said NO WAY, no how...

Meanwhile, on the AAC side, Aresco never addressed any school specifically. He always talked in generalities that the AAC wasn't looking to expand.

I'm fascinated that Thompson would show his cards like that. Hawaii is a partial member. Did he address the difference in Olympics vs Football members in the past, and why they couldn't coexist? It seems like he runs this ship with loose lips.

Here's the quote:

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/wichita-state-interested-in-joining-mountain-west-considering-football/

Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson said he did not have direct contact with Bardo or Wichita State officials. He added that if Wichita State plans to park its basketball program in a new conference, “It ain’t going to be us."

• Like 1

hTKgPYW.jpgt8rHyxq.gif

according to Rothstein we're dotting the i's and crossing the t's at this point...(this article came out a few hours ago)

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/aac-preparing-wichita-state-join-league-2017-18/

The American Athletic Conference is preparing for the Wichita State Shockers to join the league for the 2017-18 season, a source told FanRag Sports on Tuesday.

• Like 1

mem skyline sig.jpeg

I am probably in the minority, but I think Thompson made the right call. To my knowledge, there isn't a single example in NCAA history of a conference that allowed non-football members that didn't ultimately break apart. If Wichita State were allowed in the MWC as a non-football member, it wouldn't be difficult for BSU or some other school to start flirting with the AAC/Big 12/whoever and demand that they be allowed to keep their non-football sports parked in the MWC. Pretty soon the MWC might no longer be a viable football conference. Plus there is no guarantee that Wichita State will continue their current basketball success indefinitely, and they don't bring much to the table if their basketball returns to mediocrity. Regular season basketball does almost nothing to improve the value of conference TV contracts. Something like 80% of college basketball viewership occurs during the NCAA tournament, and those TV rights are owned by the NCAA. Thus Wichita State only adds value to the MWC if they keep winning in the NCAA tournament and earning basketball credits. It would be a major gamble with uncertain returns and potentially significant downside. So I agree with Thompson's decision.

• Like 3