FormerFrog

Former Frog's thoughts on the MWC - 2017 edition

3 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I read Few as even more inclined toward that than you do since he repeated it just a couple weeks ago. According to some who know him, Few views the WCC as a conference containing several other schools with the capacity to have a brief run of success but which will inevitably fall back once a superstar player leaves. Few is known to love Gonzaga but just like Chris Petersen, it's probable he won't remain if the university can't get a significant promo.

If they win tonight it will be interesting to see the direction everything goes

1 minute ago, RAMification said:

Exactly ... Aztecs & Broncos are Spartie's best friends.  (you do know I'm not totally serious?)

Nope, I didn't know that.

To clarify my personal opinion, as someone originally from the Bay Area whose professional career was given a boost by a couple Spartans, I would love to see SJSU earn its rightful place in this conference. However, there hasn't been any realistic hope of that for five years.

Boom goes the dynamite.

7 minutes ago, RAMification said:

I never thought Zags wanted to go beyond the WCC.  But if that's true, and the MWC failed to acquire both the Shocks & Zags... we are the DOLTS.

Not necessarily Gonzaga, but definitely Mark Few. He reportedly loves the school and among the reasons is he's a minster's son. His father is Protestant but Few supposedly believes in the Jesuit approach to education. However, he's also extremely driven and has been frustrated by the restrictions of the WCC.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Had neither USU or SJSU been added the conference was looking at 8 football schools and 7 oly sports teams.  Nobody anywhere thought SDSU and Boise would return.  In fact the general notion was that those schools were actively looking to poach other MW schools.  That appeared to be a very realistic threat.  The MW presidents added the two best options out west to fill out the conference and stock up as a hedge against future defections..

Coulda shoulda woulda but that was a reasonable decision at the time..

My opinion at the time was the MWC shouldn't have added either SJSU or USU. Instead the six schools I mentioned should have added Nevada plus Hawaii for all sports.

The MWC was at its best when it contained nine members after TCU joined in 2005 and before Utah left in 2011. It's not like either USU or SJSU was going anywhere and those eight could have waited to see just how committed USU and SJSU were and then after a few years added only one of them.

As to poaching, that was a very brief concept. Once the nBE so stupidly offered Tulane, any realistic hope was smashed. I thought when I heard that and still believe that decision was much worse than the MWC's inviting SJSU. But for that the AAC would have already relegated the MWC to CUSA status.

• Like 1

Boom goes the dynamite.

So it was the 3 front rangers + UNM + UNLV + Fresno + Nevada = 7. If the 7 demanded Hawaii pay travel subs that pretty much sucks. UH was a member of the WAC for about 30 years and didn't pay travel subs. Parsimony like that is what's killing this conference. Meanwhile: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/sdut-mountain-west-news-2011jun07-htmlstory.html

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

So it was the 3 front rangers + UNM + UNLV + Fresno + Nevada = 7. If the 7 demanded Hawaii pay travel subs that pretty much sucks. UH was a member of the WAC for about 30 years and didn't pay travel subs. Parsimony like that is what's killing this conference. Meanwhile: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/sdut-mountain-west-news-2011jun07-htmlstory.html

Hawaii actually paid travel subs when it was a men's sports only member until the early 1990's.  But the WAC wanted to be an all-sports conference and dropped the travel subs for Hawaii, who said they couldn't afford it in all of the women's sports as well as with the knowledge the new teams from Texas were coming in.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pokebball said:

And this would make the MWC stronger.....how?

Well you would add schools that give a damn and base a lot of their national identity on their football programs in particular to the Dakota State and Montana schools. Also in terms of scheduling would cut down on trying to find out of conference opponents and have a much larger National footprint.

22 minutes ago, utgrizfan said:

Well you would add schools that give a damn and base a lot of their national identity on their football programs in particular to the Dakota State and Montana schools. Also in terms of scheduling would cut down on trying to find out of conference opponents and have a much larger National footprint.

Sure.  I think it's critical for a candidate to give a damn.  Future investment into their athletic programs is critical towards any consideration.

I tend to look at expansion options in terms of value-add.  What is the value add to the MWC?  Would we be better off financially with a prospective candidate than we are currently.  And if so, by how much.  Will it help us in our recruiting (is the candidate in a part of the country where many of our schools recruit?).  What kind of bowl game revenues do you bring to the table?  What kind of NCAA basketball credits can you bring to the table?  What impact would the candidate have on our next television contract negotiation?

The World Needs More Cowboys!

4 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Not necessarily Gonzaga, but definitely Mark Few. He reportedly loves the school and among the reasons is he's a minster's son. His father is Protestant but Few supposedly believes in the Jesuit approach to education. However, he's also extremely driven and has been frustrated by the restrictions of the WCC.

Good distinction... and at this point, Few is the Zags Mbb program.  IMHO.  If he wants more, the MWC is stoopid to not have tried to provide that by adding Zags & SHocks.

Gonzaga should get the same deal Boise State got!

They are worth their weight in gold in tourney credits.

Just adding that name brand would transcend all sports for the MWC. Getting Gonzaga would offer the perfect opportunity to rebrand. You don't want to rebrand without some kind of momentum going for the conference. Otherwise nobody would even notice.

What are the MWCs prospects next year?

• Like 1

hTKgPYW.jpgt8rHyxq.gif

17 minutes ago, LaradiseCowboy said:

I think it's been proven that Christian universities don't work well in the MWC. It always turns into being the "holier than thou" vs. the "uncivilized hillbillies" mantra.

a4cac165a5f11f9d778fcb5d00316fd476d5efdb

• Like 1

mem skyline sig.jpeg

23 minutes ago, LaradiseCowboy said:

I think it's been proven that Christian universities don't work well in the MWC. It always turns into being the "holier than thou" vs. the "uncivilized hillbillies" mantra.

I thought TCU was a fine program with civil, intelligent fans who displayed great sportsmanship....

• Like 2

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

4 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

I thought TCU was a fine program with civil, intelligent fans who displayed great sportsmanship....

I was mostly being facetious. Anyone who saw the cougar board leading up to the Poinsettia Bowl knows what I'm talking about. Glad I wasn't around when BYU was still in the conference. I'm sure Gonzaga has a much classier fan base though.

Union.jpg.6989c32e721d578d3952602294d1af90.jpgCampus500x283.jpg.208ead7433af78ce44bb775b8561f0c7.jpg

Snowies.jpg.8548e47a8f188d64d1a93ecde4744b11.jpgIMG_1401.JPG.cfa8ec5eeb3ac75f090d8d5e59dd0805.JPG

8 minutes ago, LaradiseCowboy said:

I was mostly being facetious. Anyone who saw the cougar board leading up to the Poinsettia Bowl knows what I'm talking about. Glad I wasn't around when BYU was still in the conference. I'm sure Gonzaga has a much classier fan base though.

Thought you were talking about christians??

• Like 3