FormerFrog

Former Frog's thoughts on the MWC - 2017 edition

1 minute ago, FalesGoesB4Carr said:

Lol. Sorry, I slacked. You got it. 

But I could never manage to match your eloquence. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

From now until football season...an endless stream of expansion and realignment threads. -_-

Man-Asleep-on-Keyboard--62020.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FormerFrog said:

If the MWC offered Montana/NDSU, the conference would be 10X better.

Both Montana and NDSU have the potential to be as good in FBS as Boise State turned out to be.

No, they don't have markets but neither does 80% of the MWC. Those 2 teams automatically makes the MWC LEGIT as a FB conference.

Then, if the MWC wants to expand to 16, adding Rice and UTEP, gives the conference TEXAS. That population grab offsets the Montana and NDSU additions.

I admit it, I skimmed it.

Fist the "gives the conference TEXAS" joke... we've had this laugh before - which other Texas schools consider UTEP to be their Rival?  It's also been mentioned that San Diego, Las Vegas, and Fort Collins are ALL closer to El Paso than Houston is.  You should really be on the BIG12 boards trying to get those four schools invited

As for "the next Boise St"... that was another era, when BSU rose up.  This is 20 years later and we are now in the P5/G5 era, and the college football landscape won't allow such upward mobility.

On 3/30/2017 at 5:17 PM, kingpotato said:

Boise's biggest hurdle has always been location and market size... and Boise's geography is much more ideal and the population of the state is the same as Montana and North Dakota combined, while the Boise Metro area is twice the size of Missoula and Fargo combined. Take Boise's hurdles and quadruple them... then you'll have UM and NDSU

Small market hasn't held Boise back at all. If you win all the time, no prob. If your local fans are minimal, but have regional and national eyeballs to get the job done, ya cool.

kat.jpg

6 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

Small market hasn't held Boise back at all. If you win all the time, no prob. If your local fans are minimal, but have regional and national eyeballs to get the job done, ya cool.

Speaking of eyeballs, I shot a load into your sisters a minute ago. 

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

With Bakersfield making the NIT final four, wouldn't they perhaps make a good offset to Hawaii's football membership.

"Pubic Hair" Thompson has historically used the WAC as his hunting grounds. He has always poached the WAC when the MWC has needed parts.

Well, the MWC is a 1 bid conference. Going with a hybrid membership makes a lot of sense. If Bakersfield and Grand Canyon were added, that seriously bolsters MWac ambitions for more bids.

• Like 1

hTKgPYW.jpgt8rHyxq.gif

I've always said, the MWC is on that tipping point of where it needs to either GO BIGGER or GO SMALLER.

Bob Kustra is the engineer of the Modern MWac. "Pubic Hair" Thompson would have never backfilled with so many WAC refugees if Boise had not exited to the Big East.

So, SJSU et al. Owe their MWac bathroom passes to Kustra. The MWac could have been a very tight 10 team conference if Boise stayed put.

To make matters worse for both "Pubic Hair" and Bobby Kustra, the MWac lured the Broncos back with a sweetheart deal that completely tanked the competitive balance of the conference. It became a 1 bid league as a result with bad football.

To Bobby K's credit, he jumped on the grenade. Both Boise and San Diego COULD HAVE orchestrated a "Best of the rest" conference if they would have stayed the course with the Big East!! Lol. Mike Aresco was willing to keep them in the AAC which would have led to a conference with their best teams and eventually travel partners for Boise and SDSU...

But, Bobby, became booty blind by "Pubic Hair" Thompson's bribe.. LOL.. And is now wallowing in RPI SLUDGE with a bloated WAC that he created by leaving in the first place. SJSU, Utah State, etc, are his little refugees... Its good to see he'd rather party with the dregs than play with the higher budget schools.

As the architect of this abomination, you can all send him hams in March and December when the MWC is playing itself in bowls or hoping for a CBI invite.

• Like 3

hTKgPYW.jpgt8rHyxq.gif

28 minutes ago, fanhood said:

Stop feeding this guy.

He's kind of grown on me though. I appreciate his commentary. 

• Like 2

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

4 hours ago, FormerFrog said:

With Bakersfield making the NIT final four, wouldn't they perhaps make a good offset to Hawaii's football membership.

"Pubic Hair" Thompson has historically used the WAC as his hunting grounds. He has always poached the WAC when the MWC has needed parts.

Well, the MWC is a 1 bid conference. Going with a hybrid membership makes a lot of sense. If Bakersfield and Grand Canyon were added, that seriously bolsters MWac ambitions for more bids.

Hell ya! Put on some Merle Haggard...were goin' to Bakersfield. :rock:

• Like 2

This conference was born from an "Airport meeting"... And is the future success of current members tied to another one?

Conference championship games no longer require 12. So, could there be a group of MWC teams out there who wants to take advantage of the new 10 rule to maximize performance and perhaps add a few good basketball schools that make the league appealing for the networks?

Who would those pioneers be? IMO, UNLV and SDSU are now the kingpins of this deal (especially with the Raiders news). So, it all starts with them. They are the ramrods of the "Airport Meeting"..

You have to figure they would bring in-state rivalries, so you include Nevada and Fresno in the group. (Not SJSU)

So you have UNLV, Nevada, San Diego St, and Fresno. I believe at this point you MUST adhere to the PACs "pair philosophy" and add New Mexico, New Mexico State, Air Force, Colorado State...

So, who are the last 2 fb programs, you ask? Well, if Boise State agrees to equal revenue distribution, you add them. To keep them in check, you add the Idaho Vandals!! What are the Smurfs going to do about it anyway? CUSA? They burned their other bridges.

If Boise State doesn't play nice, you add UTEP and Rice as your #9 and #10.

I'm betting they keep their mouth shut. So you have these 10 fb schools, with common interests, as your "Airport 10"..

UNLV, Nevada, SDSU, Fresno, New Mexico, New Mexico State, Colorado State, Air Force, Boise State, Idaho (who is very good under Petrino)

THEN, to compliment basketball, the new league needs to offer up "Pubic Hair" Thompson on the alter of sacrifice, and bury the grudge with BYU for their Olympics. Also, bring GONZAGA with them from the WCC.

To compliment the 2 basketball powers, invite SEATTLE and St Mary's. That, right there is a big time geographically sound conference.

UNLV, San Diego State, Nevada, Fresno State, New Mexico, New Mexico State, Colorado State, Air Force, Boise State, Idaho (with Paul Petrino), Gonzaga, Seattle, BYU, St Mary's.

For the new conference commissioner you hire the Pac 12's Deputy Commish. He will understand the lay of the land.

THEN, You REBRAND (and I covered that in another post... The PCC.

• Like 4

hTKgPYW.jpgt8rHyxq.gif

53 minutes ago, FormerFrog said:

This conference was born from an "Airport meeting"... And is the future success of current members tied to another one?

Conference championship games no longer require 12. So, could there be a group of MWC teams out there who wants to take advantage of the new 10 rule to maximize performance and perhaps add a few good basketball schools that make the league appealing for the networks?

Who would those pioneers be? IMO, UNLV and SDSU are now the kingpins of this deal (especially with the Raiders news). So, it all starts with them. They are the ramrods of the "Airport Meeting"..

You have to figure they would bring in-state rivalries, so you include Nevada and Fresno in the group. (Not SJSU)

So you have UNLV, Nevada, San Diego St, and Fresno. I believe at this point you MUST adhere to the PACs "pair philosophy" and add New Mexico, New Mexico State, Air Force, Colorado State...

So, who are the last 2 fb programs, you ask? Well, if Boise State agrees to equal revenue distribution, you add them. To keep them in check, you add the Idaho Vandals!! What are the Smurfs going to do about it anyway? CUSA? They burned their other bridges.

If Boise State doesn't play nice, you add UTEP and Rice as your #9 and #10.

I'm betting they keep their mouth shut. So you have these 10 fb schools, with common interests, as your "Airport 10"..

UNLV, Nevada, SDSU, Fresno, New Mexico, New Mexico State, Colorado State, Air Force, Boise State, Idaho (who is very good under Petrino)

THEN, to compliment basketball, the new league needs to offer up "Pubic Hair" Thompson on the alter of sacrifice, and bury the grudge with BYU for their Olympics. Also, bring GONZAGA with them from the WCC.

To compliment the 2 basketball powers, invite SEATTLE and St Mary's. That, right there is a big time geographically sound conference.

UNLV, San Diego State, Nevada, Fresno State, New Mexico, New Mexico State, Colorado State, Air Force, Boise State, Idaho (with Paul Petrino), Gonzaga, Seattle, BYU, St Mary's.

For the new conference commissioner you hire the Pac 12's Deputy Commish. He will understand the lay of the land.

THEN, You REBRAND (and I covered that in another post... The PCC.

Thank god you aren't in charge. 

MWC needs new commissioner, a real strategy and plan to grow this conference. San Jose State is a drag on the conference but no more so than any other P5 bottom school. San Jose State has tasted some success in football and it could still happen. 

It's time to push Hair out. 

• Like 1