FormerFrog

Former Frog's thoughts on the MWC - 2017 edition

17 minutes ago, Warbow said:

I like your idea but kick out Wyoming instead and keep Utah St.

I don't know about you but as long as Wyoming is in the MWC, the image of this conference will never change. I think of Wyoming as a welfare team. Most people think of the Big Sky conference when they think of Wyoming. As should be.

No travel subs or we are out.

Funny, because when people think of Hawaii they automatically associate it with premier athletic programs! The mighty Hawaii that can barely put together a winning season and has to travel 20,000 miles per season just to compete. Are the commentators for Hawaii still broadcasting in pigeon?

• Like 1

Union.jpg.6989c32e721d578d3952602294d1af90.jpgCampus500x283.jpg.208ead7433af78ce44bb775b8561f0c7.jpg

Snowies.jpg.8548e47a8f188d64d1a93ecde4744b11.jpgIMG_1401.JPG.cfa8ec5eeb3ac75f090d8d5e59dd0805.JPG

3 minutes ago, LaradiseCowboy said:

Funny, because when people think of Hawaii they automatically associate it with premier athletic programs! The mighty Hawaii that can barely put together a winning season and has to travel 20,000 miles per season just to compete.

Hawaii is just plain screwed by geography no matter what.  They have to provide welfare in order to be in a real conference.  OTOH, the NCAA provides them with a little welfare in exchange in the case of thirteen week seasons and zero week.  Both can be used by other teams to their benefit, but both always benefit Hawaii.

• Like 2

I've personally met many people who have either lived in Hawaii or are from there. None of them follow Hawaii athletics. They're there, but nobody really takes them seriously.

I do agree though that Wyoming doesn't really fit the mold to be associated with west coast teams. Wyoming is a blue collar brand and would fit in much better with brands like Nebraska, K State, Iowa, Oklahoma St., etc. But that is irrelevant and for now we'll have to make due with the MW.

• Like 1

Union.jpg.6989c32e721d578d3952602294d1af90.jpgCampus500x283.jpg.208ead7433af78ce44bb775b8561f0c7.jpg

Snowies.jpg.8548e47a8f188d64d1a93ecde4744b11.jpgIMG_1401.JPG.cfa8ec5eeb3ac75f090d8d5e59dd0805.JPG

15 minutes ago, LaradiseCowboy said:

I do agree though that Wyoming doesn't really fit the mold to be associated with west coast teams. Wyoming is a blue collar brand and would fit in much better with brands like Nebraska, K State, Iowa, Oklahoma St., etc. But that is irrelevant and for now we'll have to make due with the MW.

Lol

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

3 hours ago, LaradiseCowboy said:

I've personally met many people who have either lived in Hawaii or are from there. None of them follow Hawaii athletics. They're there, but nobody really takes them seriously.

Hawaii wouldn't get $2.5m in a guaranteed tv deal yearly along with a dedicated school 24/7 sports channel (outside of midnight hours which is random ads) on basic cable if nobody in the islands took the school seriously. Better than anyone not named Boise in this conference.

We would have been near/at the highest attendance in this conference if not for Chow screwing everything up and dropping the attendance by 10-15k.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, FormerFrog said:

The MWC brand is killing this conference. BYU/Utah/TCU once made the MWC hot, but the loss of those three programs created a "death perception" that intensified when Thompson emptied out the WAC.

The MWC brand has been soiled to the point that the conference would do better to rebrand.

IMO, this would take an airport meeting. What people don't seem to grasp is the 'airport meeting' actually propped up the new MWC brand at the expense of the WAC (which was relegated to the jilted spouse)

And now, without the bellcows, the geographic oddity of being aligned with 'Mountain West Time Zone' really makes the conference appear BUSH. Let's be honest here, the Mountain West Time Zone is equated with the deadlands. Everyone has heard of the Mountain West Time Zone but its like Hogwarts - Normal people don't know where the F it is!!

The MWC is out of the game by the sheer fact that it is the MWC. Instead of using a ball, the teams should use some tumbleweed.

Can I be blunt? The whole start times dust-up that is leading to the MWC going off television is directly related to the perception that MWC teams play in a cruddy part of the country that is out of whack with our mediated universe.

Long story short, that MWC brand is 3 Scarlet Letters on the foreheads of all your Presidents. It makes them look like bumpkins.

What I suggest is CUTTING THE FAT (drop down to 10 FB teams, by cutting Utah State and SJSU,

THEN, ADD Gonzaga Olympics to offset Hawaii.

That would give the conference a more ELITE feel, while dumping some of the dregs.

This looks more impressive in FB: Boise State, SDSU, Fresno State, UNLV, Nevada, Hawaii, Air Force, New Mexico, Colorado State, Wyoming

In Hoop you'd have, Gonzaga, SDSU, UNLV, New Mexico, Fresno State, Nevada, Air Force, Colorado State, Wyoming, Boise State.

If you want to cut the fat even more, YOU TELL AIR FORCE TO GET THEIR SORRY OLYMPICS OUT!! No other good conference has Service Academy Olympics.

In Hoop, the MWC ideal would be a 10 team Round Robin of: GONZAGA, BYU, SAN DIEGO STATE, UNLV, NEVADA, NEW MEXICO, BOISE STATE, WYOMING, COLORADO STATE, FRESNO STATE.

Finally, to make the conference appealing for much better TV spots, you REBRAND as the PACIFIC COAST CONFERENCE. (the Pac 12 isn't using it anymore). You focus on building up the RPIs of THAT GROUP in a Conference that now has a brand reflecting a more sophisticated Coastal mentality. You lose the stigma of being a bunch of programs in the sparse Mountain West, where people need to engineer their home made Satellite dishes to watch the games.

Trust me guys, the MWC brand is ruined. On the same junk pile as the WAC and the CUSA,.You WILL NEVER compete with the image of who was there after Utah et al abandoned the WAC... just like the WAC never recovered from the stigma of being "Less Than"... and CUSA never recovered from losing Louiville, Cincinnati, TCU, and USF.

If you're serious about sports, you need to downsize and get rid of that awful moniker.

pcc_logo_current.png

your the +++++er who made a thread with fake quotes with 0 links. I figured you were a byWHO +++++er but was told you are a fan of temple and central Florida. Didn't know central Florida and Temple had fans. Temple came to our bowl in 2011 and brought 5 fans. It was their first bowl and they bring 5 fans. +++++ you cocksucker

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Hawaii is just plain screwed by geography no matter what.  They have to provide welfare in order to be in a real conference.  OTOH, the NCAA provides them with a little welfare in exchange in the case of thirteen week seasons and zero week.  Both can be used by other teams to their benefit, but both always benefit Hawaii.

The irony is that Hawaii is providing welfare to a bunch of nobodies in a wannabe conference. I don't have to point out any schools here, you know who you are. Soon Hawaii will have the MWC by the balls and pull a BYU and go independent. Hawaii like BYU did, will get tired of supporting this lame ass conference full of coat tail riders. You know who you are, I don't have to point you out. Oh well what the hell, Wyoming, New Mexico, Colorado St, have been riding the coattails of BYU, Utah and TCU for years. Now they are riding Boise St's coattails and soon Hawaii's. It's a shame Wyoming wants to continue to act like a mid-major program when everyone knows they belong in the Big Sky with the Dakota's and Montana's.  

The NCAA does not provide us any welfare. The game zero and 13th game rule was put in place as a welfare program for schools who can't afford the travel to Hawaii. It's a way to make up the cost of traveling to Hawaii by scheduling a 13th home game with an extra bye week to play around with. None of this benefits Hawaii, we can afford to live without the 13th game as demonstrated previously.

The MWC is just a temporary stop for Hawaii on the road to a P-5 conference membership. The Pac-12 will come calling with-in the next 5 years, you heard it here first from me. They are just waiting for UNLV to get their shit together before they pull the trigger on a Hawaii/UNLV membership package.

• Like 1

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

The legacy MWC schools must be ticked that they had to add SJSU and Utah St. to get to 12 teams in order to have the conference championship game...only to see the P5 change the rules a few years later to appease the Big 12.

If the 12-team rule had not been in place, I'm fairly certain that neither SJSU nor Utah St. would have been invited.

4 minutes ago, YNot said:

The legacy MWC schools must be ticked that they had to add SJSU and Utah St. to get to 12 teams in order to have the conference championship game...only to see the P5 change the rules a few years later to appease the Big 12.

If the 12-team rule had not been in place, I'm fairly certain that neither SJSU nor Utah St. would have been invited.

They were added to get us back to ten after BSU and SDSU left. It had nothing to do with a championship game.

16 hours ago, LaradiseCowboy said:

I do agree though that Wyoming doesn't really fit the mold to be associated with west coast teams. Wyoming is a blue collar brand and would fit in much better with brands like Nebraska, K State, Iowa, Oklahoma St.Montana, Montana St., North Dakota St., Eastern Washington, etc. But That is very irrelevant and for now we'll have to make due with the MW until the cavalry arrives.

Wyoming should stay in the MWC, but invite some of its Big Sky peers.

SDSU, UNLV, Hawaii, etc. can leave for the football independence or the new PCC or whatever.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, YNot said:

Not so sure of that. San Jose St's chess club is by far the best in the nation. Utah St. has some value also, they provide a place for BYU to park their secondary athletes who are able to complete with the Wyomings and New Mexico's.

2 hours ago, Warbow said:

The irony is that Hawaii is providing welfare to a bunch of nobodies in a wannabe conference. I don't have to point out any schools here, you know who you are. Soon Hawaii will have the MWC by the balls and pull a BYU and go independent. Hawaii like BYU did, will get tired of supporting this lame ass conference full of coat tail riders. You know who you are, I don't have to point you out. Oh well what the hell, Wyoming, New Mexico, Colorado St, have been riding the coattails of BYU, Utah and TCU for years. Now they are riding Boise St's coattails and soon Hawaii's. It's a shame Wyoming wants to continue to act like a mid-major program when everyone knows they belong in the Big Sky with the Dakota's and Montana's.  

The NCAA does not provide us any welfare. The game zero and 13th game rule was put in place as a welfare program for schools who can't afford the travel to Hawaii. It's a way to make up the cost of traveling to Hawaii by scheduling a 13th home game with an extra bye week to play around with. None of this benefits Hawaii, we can afford to live without the 13th game as demonstrated previously.

The MWC is just a temporary stop for Hawaii on the road to a P-5 conference membership. The Pac-12 will come calling with-in the next 5 years, you heard it here first from me. They are just waiting for UNLV to get their shit together before they pull the trigger on a Hawaii/UNLV membership package.

In the meantime, you're still slumming with us until further notice. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, FalesGoesB4Carr said:

The best part of this plan is kicking out SJSU. Instant upgrade to the conference. 

We can't kick SJSU out but I'll reiterate my suggestion made a year ago. Offer them $5M-$10M to leave. I bet they'll bite.

Speaking of prior suggestions, I once advocated the Mountain West rechristen itself the Molehill West but nobody else wanted to do that. So if the conference needs rebranding, I'll now suggest calling it the Flyover Universities Conference. You have to admit the acronym has a certain ring to it.

Boom goes the dynamite.

3 hours ago, Warbow said:

The mighty Hawaii that has had ONE winning season since joining the MWC. Lest you forget, Hawaii football has gone a whopping 18-46 since joining the MWC in 2012 (a spectacular 39% winning percentage). To anyone with half a brain cell it's clear that Hawaii has yet to live up to the level of competition it faces in the MWC. It's funny that you mention CSU and WYO, because both of which have the lead in their all-time record against Hawaii and both will beat you in 2017 (UNM could probably beat you too). You heard it here first! Mark your calendar because it's going to be a rough September for Hawaii football.

• Like 1