FormerFrog

Former Frog's thoughts on the MWC - 2017 edition

Guest Dr. Dre
19 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

I'll be really glad when sjsu joins the sec and I don't have to think about this stuff anymore.

or the Big Sky. You may even be competitive in FCS

5 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

I didn't say they would, I am just saying at this point Air Force going independent probably better chance than expansion right now. And only using when they threatened leaving MWC if MWC wanted more conference games for football

I am really not trying to be argumentative here, but I have no idea what you are talking about.  Back when BSU and SDSU were leaving for the AAC, Air Force turned down the Big 12 and committed itself to the MWC, a move, that could be argued, saved the conference.  There was no threat to leave the MWC, but there was a request for acknowledgement that less conference games were better to maintain 4 OOC games for AF with 2 of them annually being Army and Navy.  Things might have changed with our new AD, but I can assure you that AF would like to remain in the MW, as it provides a home for a lot (not all) of our sports making scheduling and finances a bit more palatable.

• Like 2

On 3/1/2017 at 7:19 AM, westfan said:

I thought most of the Big 12 expansion talk ended with them saying there was no one worthy of an invitation. Am I wrong or is something trying to brew?

I agree with you.  However, my post was in response to an article saying that the MWC had to expect defections.  There is current talk, mostly by Ram fans, of CSU moving to the Big 12.  Earlier there has been talk, at one point or another, of AFA, BSU or SDSU going.  Even a few posts about UNM or UNLV.  Bottom line, however, is that, for better or worse, the current members are here for the long haul.  Frankly, it can be an excellent conference.  It will never surpass the PAC in the west but it will be the next most important western conference.  We can be good.

• Like 1

Guest Dr. Dre
2 minutes ago, SpartaRick said:

Bottom line.

Hardly. And as soon as SDSU can divorce ourselves from the likes of a turd institution like San SaJuck State, the better. It'll happen, the sooner the better.

The way I see it there will be no defections of current MWC members until/unless Texas and Oklahoma with Kansas and possibly Oklahoma State in tow leave the Big XII once the GoR expires after the 2024-25 season.  At that time I think the odds are pretty high that at least some of the AAC and MWC teams join the remaining Big XII schools forming a new conference.  This new conference will be a best of the rest and likely will not retain its P5 status.

There is absolutely no reason to add ANY Texas schools, outside of Houston in the near future as none of Rice, SMU, UTSA, North Texas or UTEP are going anywhere or add much to the MWC at this time.  If as the Big XII GoR expiration is nearing it looks likely there will be MWC defections then yes inviting some of these Texas schools does at that time make sense.  If their are defections of top tier teams from the AAC and MWC to a Big XII 2.0 several of these Texas schools will be sought after by the AAC and MWC to backfill.

12 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

The way I see it there will be no defections of current MWC members until/unless Texas and Oklahoma with Kansas and possibly Oklahoma State in tow leave the Big XII once the GoR expires after the 2024-25 season.  At that time I think the odds are pretty high that at least some of the AAC and MWC teams join the remaining Big XII schools forming a new conference.  This new conference will be a best of the rest and likely will not retain its P5 status.

There is absolutely no reason to add ANY Texas schools, outside of Houston in the near future as none of Rice, SMU, UTSA, North Texas or UTEP are going anywhere or add much to the MWC at this time.  If as the Big XII GoR expiration is nearing it looks likely there will be MWC defections then yes inviting some of these Texas schools does at that time make sense.  If their are defections of top tier teams from the AAC and MWC to a Big XII 2.0 several of these Texas schools will be sought after by the AAC and MWC to backfill.

Absolutely true.

And just to add, the MWC with its OOC could satisfy the desire to get into Texas simply by scheduling more in Texas.  Texas, TTech, Texas A&M, TCU, Baylor, SMU, Houston, UTSan, UTEP, UNT, Rice, and Texas St all have OOC games they must fill.  Plus if the object is to play money games and games in Texas you have schools like Texas and A&M that will gladly do a one and done at their house.  Other schools like TTech, TCU, and Baylor would easily sign a 2 for 1 and the other schools I am confident that a home and home could be done.  So really no reason to expand in Texas when every MWC team can play football games in Texas even annually if they choose. I mean Tex St, UNT, Rice, Utep, and UTSan should be easy gets for H/H deals.

Possibly ignorant question: Is it mandatory that teams play a minimum of 8 conference games, not including a championship game? Or is that just a magic number that everyone settles on?

I'm curious what it would look like to play 7 conference games against your division opponents and 5 OOC games. 

2 hours ago, pokerider said:

If MWC expanded, would almost need to expand 4 schools. Rice and Tulsa would be my top 2 picks.  Then SMU & UTSA 

B)

Rice is totally and absolutely worthless. Tulsa? Although it's a tiny school, it's not only 500 miles closer to MWC schools, Tulsa actually seems to care about winning football and basketball games. Rice? The Owls care about baseball, lol.

Having given it considerable thought over the last year, I also think UTSA is worthless. That school doesn't own its own football stadium and it's the CUSA equivalent of Qualcomm for SDSU which we all know is basura. Texas State has its own stadium and Texas State's basketball arena is twice the size of UTSA's.

Boom goes the dynamite.

55 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Rice is totally and absolutely worthless. Tulsa? Although it's a tiny school, it's not only 500 miles closer to MWC schools, Tulsa actually seems to care about winning football and basketball games. Rice? The Owls care about baseball, lol.

Having given it considerable thought over the last year, I also think UTSA is worthless. That school doesn't own its own football stadium and it's the CUSA equivalent of Qualcomm for SDSU which we all know is basura. Texas State has its own stadium and Texas State's basketball arena is twice the size of UTSA's.

Agreed, I think I'd take Texas State over UTSA. Adding Rice does nothing for the conference, and Tulsa wouldn't leave the AAC. 

The bottom line is there is no one in Texas that is worth adding for no reason. I like UTEP, but they are horrible in basketball and football. If they ever got their basketball program at a top level they could be a good add, but it has been a long time since they've been relevant.

3 hours ago, AZdogFan said:

Possibly ignorant question: Is it mandatory that teams play a minimum of 8 conference games, not including a championship game? Or is that just a magic number that everyone settles on?

I'm curious what it would look like to play 7 conference games against your division opponents and 5 OOC games. 

It is the conference that dictates the number of games.  I think the requirement is everyone in the division must be played.  Last I checked to qualify as a DI football conference you have to have 6 football playing schools.  Now that the NCAA allows you to play championship conference games with only ten teams I believe you can play as little as 5 conference games as long as everyone in the division is played.

The other requirement is that you have to play 5 home games.

Brilliant, Hair.  You want to add TX teams, but what are you going to do about diluting our revenues?  Not one of those Texas schools would increase our TV contract.  Give every member their 3rd tier rights, then we'll talk. 

On 3/1/2017 at 8:07 AM, FormerFrog said:

My sources are telling me that Thompson is really driving home the point that the MWC needs to bring Texas into the union. With possible defections on the horizon, combined with underwhelming football AND basketball performance (as well as future media contracts benefitting by including a good share of the Texas market), his rationale makes a lot of sense.

Who would you rather have on the Eastern MWC flank? Rice? Texas State? UTEP? UTSA? UNT? There may be a push that any 2 of those additions would take a haircut, so they don't take away any revenue from Boise. Thompson let it be known to Bob Kustra that their share would not change at all. "Not one dime" is the verbage being used.

This makes a lot of sense in light of the new media options were hearing, with alternatives like YouTube and the like. Grabbing the Houston and San Antonio markets (for instance) would make the MWC portfolio more valuable by a significant margin.

Competitively speaking, the MWC has nothing to lose and a lot to gain. RECRUITING TEXAS would help out the poor performance we've all been witnessing immensely. I've been told that Craig Bohl is very excited about opening up the spigot into Texas recruiting.

This is also a pre-emptive strike against losing certain members to the AAC. It can be argued that losing Air Force and Colorado State can be mitigated by gaining ground in Texas (where there would be a HUGE net gain in population.. i.e, eyeballs to TV sets). A school like Rice also adds to the MWC academic profile and has a very good basketball team. They would be the Stanford of the MWC.

So, for media reasons, competitive reasons, recruiting reasons, survival, this is a solid strategy. There was a reason that raising exit fees was voted down. The MWC has always had a problem with sparsely populated territory. This issue needs to be addressed and it will be.  

Link please. I think you made up everything you wrote here. Link the quotes attributed to Thompson and Kustra, Craig Bohl and the speculation about Air Force and Colorado St going to the AAC.

• Like 2

Just now, hawkeyelobo said:

Link please. I think you made up everything you wrote here. Link the quotes attributed to Thompson and Kustra, Craig Bohl and the speculation about Air Force and Colorado St going to the AAC.

These type of threads pop up often.

• Like 1