FormerFrog

Former Frog's thoughts on the MWC - 2017 edition

Just for fun check out Idaho s basketball arena when they don't hang curtains and play in the kibbie dome. 

Yes yes yes I know you have water colors for a new arena let me know when you actually break ground. I've also seen watercolors of the kibbie dome with an upper deck and end zone seats.

IMG_0566.JPG

No. They're nowhere near ready. Facilities and support are Big Sky level.  They are exactly the type of school that FBS leagues do not want to move up. They don't belong. 

That said, is the Big Sky at 20 teams yet? There are some schools that are ready to move up and should. When the WAC folded, it left a vacuum. There needs to be a western league that is one step below the MWC.

"If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, are you still a moron?"

"Give me a Sandwich and a Douchebag and there's nothing I can't do!"

14 minutes ago, Chad Sexington said:

No. They're nowhere near ready. Facilities and support are Big Sky level.  They are exactly the type of school that FBS leagues do not want to move up. They don't belong. 

That said, is the Big Sky at 20 teams yet? There are some schools that are ready to move up and should. When the WAC folded, it left a vacuum. There needs to be a western league that is one step below the MWC.

There is - its called the PAC-12   B)

16 hours ago, Byutop25 said:

Just for fun check out Idaho s basketball arena when they don't hang curtains and play in the kibbie dome. 

Yes yes yes I know you have water colors for a new arena let me know when you actually break ground. I've also seen watercolors of the kibbie dome with an upper deck and end zone seats.

IMG_0566.JPG

That looks like a lot of WCC gyms to me.

18 hours ago, Byutop25 said:

IMG_0566.JPG

How is that worse than a blue rug for a field?

My sources are telling me that Thompson is really driving home the point that the MWC needs to bring Texas into the union. With possible defections on the horizon, combined with underwhelming football AND basketball performance (as well as future media contracts benefitting by including a good share of the Texas market), his rationale makes a lot of sense.

Who would you rather have on the Eastern MWC flank? Rice? Texas State? UTEP? UTSA? UNT? There may be a push that any 2 of those additions would take a haircut, so they don't take away any revenue from Boise. Thompson let it be known to Bob Kustra that their share would not change at all. "Not one dime" is the verbage being used.

This makes a lot of sense in light of the new media options were hearing, with alternatives like YouTube and the like. Grabbing the Houston and San Antonio markets (for instance) would make the MWC portfolio more valuable by a significant margin.

Competitively speaking, the MWC has nothing to lose and a lot to gain. RECRUITING TEXAS would help out the poor performance we've all been witnessing immensely. I've been told that Craig Bohl is very excited about opening up the spigot into Texas recruiting.

This is also a pre-emptive strike against losing certain members to the AAC. It can be argued that losing Air Force and Colorado State can be mitigated by gaining ground in Texas (where there would be a HUGE net gain in population.. i.e, eyeballs to TV sets). A school like Rice also adds to the MWC academic profile and has a very good basketball team. They would be the Stanford of the MWC.

So, for media reasons, competitive reasons, recruiting reasons, survival, this is a solid strategy. There was a reason that raising exit fees was voted down. The MWC has always had a problem with sparsely populated territory. This issue needs to be addressed and it will be.  

• Like 1

hTKgPYW.jpgt8rHyxq.gif

Yes, there has been talk of adding Rice for academic reasons and UTEP for historical and geographic reasons.  The comment about MWC defections though, I believe, is mostly wishful thinking by a few MWC members.  I don't see the Pac adding any MWC members and, as to the Big 12, the talk is more about adding AAC members and BYU.

3 minutes ago, SpartaRick said:

Yes, there has been talk of adding Rice for academic reasons and UTEP for historical and geographic reasons.  The comment about MWC defections though, I believe, is mostly wishful thinking by a few MWC members.  I don't see the Pac adding any MWC members and, as to the Big 12, the talk is more about adding AAC members and BYU.

I thought most of the Big 12 expansion talk ended with them saying there was no one worthy of an invitation. Am I wrong or is something trying to brew?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, FormerFrog said:

My sources are telling me that Thompson is really driving home the point that the MWC needs to bring Texas into the union. With possible defections on the horizon, combined with underwhelming football AND basketball performance (as well as future media contracts benefitting by including a good share of the Texas market), his rationale makes a lot of sense.

Who would you rather have on the Eastern MWC flank? Rice? Texas State? UTEP? UTSA? UNT? There may be a push that any 2 of those additions would take a haircut, so they don't take away any revenue from Boise. Thompson let it be known to Bob Kustra that their share would not change at all. "Not one dime" is the verbage being used.

This makes a lot of sense in light of the new media options were hearing, with alternatives like YouTube and the like. Grabbing the Houston and San Antonio markets (for instance) would make the MWC portfolio more valuable by a significant margin.

Competitively speaking, the MWC has nothing to lose and a lot to gain. RECRUITING TEXAS would help out the poor performance we've all been witnessing immensely. I've been told that Craig Bohl is very excited about opening up the spigot into Texas recruiting.

This is also a pre-emptive strike against losing certain members to the AAC. It can be argued that losing Air Force and Colorado State can be mitigated by gaining ground in Texas (where there would be a HUGE net gain in population.. i.e, eyeballs to TV sets). A school like Rice also adds to the MWC academic profile and has a very good basketball team. They would be the Stanford of the MWC.

So, for media reasons, competitive reasons, recruiting reasons, survival, this is a solid strategy. There was a reason that raising exit fees was voted down. The MWC has always had a problem with sparsely populated territory. This issue needs to be addressed and it will be.  

Sources plural? I find that hard to believe.

None of the above.

The word is verbiage.

Rice has very good BASEBALL, not basketball, and baseball hardly matters.

The only thing you've said which makes sense is the prospect of CSU and AFA leaving for the AAC. Although that conference will never reach the "power" level its idiot commissioner touts, it continues to separate itself from the MWC in football and basketball quality. No matter which of the listed Texas schools was added to replace them, for the MWC to lose CSU and AFA would be to drive one more nail in its coffin.

• Like 3

Boom goes the dynamite.

Guest #1Stunner

AFA can't join the AAC unless they find a home for their basketball and Olympic sports.  

The AAC, unlike the MWC, won't take AFA basketball.  And I doubt the WCC would want them anymore.  The WCC won't dilute and add low quality basketball schools anymore.  Talk is that the WCC wants Grand Canyon, but only if that a school can transition to not-for-profit. .

Maybe AFA could join the Missouri Valley Conference?

Guest #1Stunner

If Rice wants to join a Western League, and doesn't mind the travel to California, then it makes more sense for Rice to go Independent in football, and join the WCC for all other sports.  Travel in the WCC would be cheaper than travel in the MWC.

But I'm not sure that Rice wants to be Independent in football, or give up their TV money from CUSA.

1 hour ago, SpartaRick said:

...as to the Big 12, the talk is more about adding AAC members and BYU.

That talk died about 4 months ago.  October 17th, to be exact.

• Like 1

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

2 hours ago, FormerFrog said:

Like you or your sources know anything

• Like 3

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg