Guest #1Stunner

Conference USA on the verge of collapse?

2 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Houston definitely but I'd say SMU's chances are 50-50 at best.

3 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Big 12 reminds me of the old Southwest conference and I am thinking that is why SMU and Houston will have a leg up on them. I just have a feeling that when they expand it will be those two teams.

3 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I'd say less for SMU as long as TCU is in the Big 12. Houston, TCU, and Baylor seems sparse to cover Texas assuming that Tech gets a ride somewhere. But theres no Big 12 level schools around Austin (excluding Texas if they leave) and San Antonio to cover that hole. 

• Like 1

In the end it just doesn't matter because my university will get whatever it wants and be on the inside on any incarnation of whatever conference it chooses and whatever incarnation of the NCAA or BCS that arises. Our ego only got bigger with the Pac-10, SEC and Big 10 trying to get us to join their conference.

Look, why don't you just be quiet before my university buys yours and closes it just for spite?

9 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

SMU just spent over 45 million to renovate Moody Coliseum...It's very nice.

Moody.jpg

they have a nice football facility in Gerald Ford Stadium.

b10cff70e6cbaa950af233ef28c7e806.jpg

massive metro population, in a wealthy area of Dallas...

Lol. As if those facilities are sufficient to overcome the deficiencies I mentioned.

Boom goes the dynamite.

2 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

Big 12 reminds me of the old Southwest conference and I am thinking that is why SMU and Houston will have a leg up on them. I just have a feeling that when they expand it will be those two teams.

And the SWC dissolved. 

You know now it very well may include SMU but I think it will be a mistake. The Texas Legislature does like to throw its weight around. SMU minus the massive cheating of the 80s hasn't done anything since the... 50s (?). They have money, but don't really prioritize sports. Now that being said, the same thing was said about TCU around 98-00 but they've made huge turn around and put money in their sports and had success. In the end,  I just don't think it would benefit the Big 12 to have 2 schools in the Metroplex if they are still getting decent media contracts unless  SMU turns into TCU or Boise. 

In the end it just doesn't matter because my university will get whatever it wants and be on the inside on any incarnation of whatever conference it chooses and whatever incarnation of the NCAA or BCS that arises. Our ego only got bigger with the Pac-10, SEC and Big 10 trying to get us to join their conference.

Look, why don't you just be quiet before my university buys yours and closes it just for spite?

8 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Lol. As if those facilities are sufficient to overcome the deficiencies I mentioned.

SMU went 5-7 last season, returns their starting QB, top two running backs, and top 3 receivers...they also have a OOC schedule that features SFA, Ark State, and North Texas...they may very well make a bowl game next season.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

10 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

SMU went 5-7 last season, returns their starting QB, top two running backs, and top 3 receivers...they also have a OOC schedule that features SFA, Ark State, and North Texas...they may very well make a bowl game next season.

Lol redux!

Are you aware SDSU has gone to bowl games for 7 years in a row? Yet we weren't even granted a personal interview when the B12 considered expansion.

To repeat, SMU has at best a 50-50 chance of getting into the B12 when that conference is totally realigned circa 2025.

Boom goes the dynamite.

MAC, for whatever reason, is the most stable between them, CUSA and Sunbelt.  Probably because their olys are more geographically condensed.

CUSA and Sunbelt with 24 FBS teams total - 26 basketball/olys total - would do good with an FF super Conference model.

football

West div:  UTEP / Texas St / UTSA / UNT / Rice / ULL / ULM / LaTech

South div:  Southern Miss / UAB / USA / Troy / Ga St / Ga Southern / FIU / FAU

North div:  Marshall / ODU / Charlotte / Appy St / CCU / WKU / MTSU / Arky St

olys

West div 13:  UTEP / Texas St / UTSA / UNT / UTA / Rice / ULL / ULM / LaTech / Arky St / UALR / southern miss / USA

East div 13:  Marshall / ODU / Charlotte / Appy / CCU / WKU / MTSU / UAB / Troy / GSU / GA southern / FIU / FAU

~ FF

20 minutes ago, FresnoFanatic said:

MAC, for whatever reason, is the most stable between them, CUSA and Sunbelt.  Probably because their olys are more geographically condensed.

CUSA and Sunbelt with 24 FBS teams total - 26 basketball/olys total - would do good with an FF super Conference model.

football

West div:  UTEP / Texas St / UTSA / UNT / Rice / ULL / ULM / LaTech

South div:  Southern Miss / UAB / USA / Troy / Ga St / Ga Southern / FIU / FAU

North div:  Marshall / ODU / Charlotte / Appy St / CCU / WKU / MTSU / Arky St

olys

West div 13:  UTEP / Texas St / UTSA / UNT / UTA / Rice / ULL / ULM / LaTech / Arky St / UALR / southern miss / USA

East div 13:  Marshall / ODU / Charlotte / Appy / CCU / WKU / MTSU / UAB / Troy / GSU / GA southern / FIU / FAU

What does this accomplish?  

8 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

What does this accomplish?  

A little worse than rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.  This actually steers you into the iceberg.

• Like 1

When this shakeup occurs I expect a lot of the upper echelons of the FCS to make the jump such as the Montana schools, Dakota State schools, JMU, Delaware ect. Influx of big-name FCS programs could do a lot to help out the breakdown of conferences that are seeking more regional options. For example I like a north and south approach if the Mountain West was also affected:

Pacific Northwest Conference: 

Idaho, Boise State, Wyoming, Utah State, CSU, Air Force, Montana, Montana State, NDSU, SDSU

States: Idaho, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, North and South Dakota 

Southwest Conference:

SDSU, SJSU, Fresno State, UNM, NMSU, UTEP, Nevada, UNLV, UTSA, Rice

States: California, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas

Still a little bit spread out especially in regards to the Southwest Conference however you would have a good core of teams in both California and Texas and allows Hawaii go Independent potentially at the P5 level. Also leaves room and both conferences to expand  for other sports such as basketball. Would assume the other Conference USA teams would try and get pulled into the Sun Belt or potential form another Conference entirely.

30 minutes ago, utgrizfan said:

When this shakeup occurs I expect a lot of the upper echelons of the FCS to make the jump such as the Montana schools, Dakota State schools, JMU, Delaware ect. Influx of big-name FCS programs could do a lot to help out the breakdown of conferences that are seeking more regional options. For example I like a north and south approach if the Mountain West was also affected:

Idaho, Boise State, Wyoming, Utah State, CSU, Air Force, Montana, Montana State, NDSU, SDSU

Southwest Conference:

Still a little bit spread out especially in regards to the Southwest Conference however you would have a good core of teams in both California and Texas and allows Hawaii go Independent potentially at the P5 level. Also leaves room and both conferences to expand  for other sports such as basketball. Would assume the other Conference USA teams would try and get pulled into the Sun Belt or potential form another Conference entirely.

Sooo, your idea is to take the current MWC, add 8 FCS teams to dilute revenue, rearrange the lineup, and somehow this will improve the MWC's exposure and bottom line?

BTW, explain to me how it's cheaper for CSU or Wyo to fly into Fargo than it is to Vegas or Fresno?

Try again.

• Like 1

Guest #1Stunner
35 minutes ago, utgrizfan said:

Southwest Conference:

Seriously, what are the Montanas' opinions on the University of Wyoming?  Seems like it would be a natural rivalry between you guys.  I know Montana is FCS, but you and Wyoming should play each other every year.  Game would be called "the Cowboy Ball".

18 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Seriously, what are the Montanas' opinions on the University of Wyoming?  Seems like it would be a natural rivalry between you guys.  I know Montana is FCS, but you and Wyoming should play each other every year.  Game would be called "the Cowboy Ball".

We visited Laramie a couple years ago and it was a pretty good game (both teams were in a bit of a rebuild mode) and honestly I would like to schedule more FBS opponents in particular Wyoming and other MWC schools. A big reason is that we can get more money from a home game against a fellow FCS School then from an MWC payout, one of the reasons were playing Washington this year is for the Payout.

18 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Sooo, your idea is to take the current MWC, add 8 FCS teams to dilute revenue, rearrange the lineup, and somehow this will improve the MWC's exposure and bottom line?

BTW, explain to me how it's cheaper for CSU or Wyo to fly into Fargo than it is to Vegas or Fresno?

Try again.

Don't know where you're getting 8 FCS schools I see 4 current ones on that list. And God forbid they have to pay a little more for one flight every other or two years and being able to bus or have a quick flight to a good number of the rest of their games.

And if you actually read what I said there's a reason I said "if the Mountain West is actually affected." When realignment occurs it's a good chance that all of the G5 conferences will be affected courtesy of the domino effect that occurred last time, it will not stop with one conference.

Guest #1Stunner
8 hours ago, utgrizfan said:

We visited Laramie a couple years ago and it was a pretty good game (both teams were in a bit of a rebuild mode) and honestly I would like to schedule more FBS opponents. A big reason is that we can get more money from a home game against a fellow FCS School then from an MWC payout, one of the reasons were playing Washington this year is for the Payout.

I don't think it would hurt Wyoming to schedule Montana home-and-home.  You guys have a luxurious stadium.

I'll warn you though.  One of the Wyoming fans is a guy who is naked.  He wears a metal barrel with a Wyoming logo.  The school made him cover up.  Plus, their stands tend to yell obscenities, in my experience.

8 minutes ago, utgrizfan said:

Don't know where you're getting 8 FCS schools I see 4 current ones on that list. And God forbid they have to pay a little more for one flight every other or two years and being able to bus or have a quick flight to a good number of the rest of their games.

And if you actually read what I said there's a reason I said "if the Mountain West is actually affected." When realignment occurs it's a good chance that all of the G5 conferences will be affected courtesy of the domino effect that occurred last time, it will not stop with one conference.

So you're willing to absorb the MWC into your FCS conference, or you think that if money gets tighter the MWC should dilute it further by adding FCS team (and some dregs FBS schools)?

Still not making sense.

Montana should have gone FBS when the WAC fell apart...

NMSU

Idaho

Montana 

Montana State

North Dakota

North Dakota State

South Dakota State

Sacramento State

----------------

Grand Canyon 

Seattle

as an outside, that's how I would have set up the WAC with FBS football.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

1 hour ago, Headbutt said:

So you're willing to absorb the MWC into your FCS conference, or you think that if money gets tighter the MWC should dilute it further by adding FCS team (and some dregs FBS schools)?

Still not making sense.

Considering you're completely off base regarding a topic centered around potential realignment based on regional positioning (as this is a hypothetical scenario) you are the one who is not making sense. Funny thing is those FCS schools you talk about with disdain would probably do pretty well in the MWC, how was it the last time NDSU visited?

Just now, utgrizfan said:

Considering you're completely off base regarding a topic centered around potential realignment based on regional positioning (as this is a hypothetical scenario) you are the one who is not making sense. Funny thing is those FCS schools you talk about with disdain would probably do pretty well in the MWC, how was it the last time NDSU visited?

No.  You've realigned the "regions" and made them less affordable from a travel standpoint.  In addition you've bloated the conference to 19.  That's not two divisions, that's two conferences.  In a 10 team division (conference) you play everyone once and there's only 3 games left.  We're not wasting that on the other division, OOC will always matter.  You've put SDSU into two "divisions", and there is no way you can split UNM and CSU/AFA with all of their history and close proximity.  Speaking of close proximity, it doesn't seem like a great idea to have Fresno trade USU for Rice in their division (conference).  This accomplishes the exact opposite of what would need to happen.

My point is that if you start earning less money, you don't add more mouths.  If this armegeddon of FBS were to happen, the MWC would need to contract, not expand.

BTW, no disdain for the FCS schools, I know what they're made of.  However, for everything they add to the MWC they take that much and then some away.  I get how much support Montana and NDSU get at home, and how good their FB is in comparison to the rest of the FCS.  Just how much do the Missoula and Fargo markets add to the MWC though.  It's not personal, it's business.

• Like 1