RAMification

from Shocker grape-vine... MWC interest included "future-provisional Fball" slot...

As a Shocker Fball Alum, some rumblings are coming thru the grapevine (often wrong, but always interesting).

WSU Mbb won't add nearly the Umph to the AAC, that it would've added to the MWC... it'll bring sizzle, but not the same UMPH!!!

And so the MWC misses out again on a strategic alignment opportunity.... what's new??? Our over-conservative Prez's continue to thwart CT's best intentions. Evidently the MWC Prez's said "we're not gonna go down that slippery slope that the Big East did", and CT was not inclined to fight them & to work any harder on scheduling, so the MWC shot it down.  Our Leadership has very limited vision!!

BTW, word is that WSU was seeking to leverage the MWC to provide a "future provisional slot" for a resurrected Shocker Fball team (had to meet key watermarks), if Shockers joined the MWC initially for Oly Sports only. Not sure they required the same of the AAC.  If true, a Good negotiating strategy by the Shockers.  I bet WSU saw the $$$$'s being soooo much better via MBB only in the AAC, that they dropped any such Fball provision.  Who the heck knows???   Some things to consider.  

Were I the MWC Czar, I'd have done the deal w/ Shockers, including a future Fball slot provision, and would've simply made the provisional achievement levels nice & high (ie, must Win 1 FCS Fball Championship + 2 Top #4 finishes in order to qualify) .  WSU Mbb, Baseball could have added very appreciable VALUE to the MWC!!!!!!!!!!!   And would have made the MWC a far more attractive place for the Zags to join... & the Borg to re-join :) 

What would you have done if my info is accurate???

I would've done the deal. 

• Like 3

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 minute ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Craig Thompson would've too but he couldn't get his thumb out of his ass to shake on it.

As others have posted, CT can't change the MWC By-laws (gotta be Fball & Oly sports )... only Prez's can do that.  CT not the main issue re MWC uber-conservative behavior.  

3 minutes ago, RAMification said:

As others have posted, CT can't change the MWC By-laws (gotta be Fball & Oly sports )... only Prez's can do that.  CT not the main issue re MWC uber-conservative behavior.  

He should've pushed for it. Even if it meant less money per member for a year or two.  The basketball credits would've more than made up for it plus it would've raised the prestige of the conference. 

• Like 3

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

27 minutes ago, RAMification said:

As a Shocker Fball Alum, some rumblings are coming thru the grapevine (often wrong, but always interesting).

WSU Mbb won't add nearly the Umph to the AAC, that it would've added to the MWC... it'll bring sizzle, but not the same UMPH!!!

And so the MWC misses out again on a strategic alignment opportunity.... what's new??? Our over-conservative Prez's continue to thwart CT's best intentions. Evidently the MWC Prez's said "we're not gonna go down that slippery slope that the Big East did", and CT was not inclined to fight them & to work any harder on scheduling, so the MWC shot it down.  Our Leadership has very limited vision!!

BTW, word is that WSU was seeking to leverage the MWC to provide a "future provisional slot" for a resurrected Shocker Fball team (had to meet key watermarks), if Shockers joined the MWC initially for Oly Sports only. Not sure they required the same of the AAC.  If true, a Good negotiating strategy by the Shockers.  I bet WSU saw the $$$$'s being soooo much better via MBB only in the AAC, that they dropped any such Fball provision.  Who the heck knows???   Some things to consider.  

Were I the MWC Czar, I'd have done the deal w/ Shockers, including a future Fball slot provision, and would've simply made the provisional achievement levels nice & high (ie, must Win 1 FCS Fball Championship + 2 Top #4 finishes in order to qualify) .  WSU Mbb, Baseball could have added very appreciable VALUE to the MWC!!!!!!!!!!!   And would have made the MWC a far more attractive place for the Zags to join... & the Borg to re-join :) 

I would've done the deal. 

Now here's the big question. What's the deal with the AAC for exit fees and future football details? If we get a new commish in a few years and Shocker FB is doing well in FCS, but the AAC remains undecided whether they want their FB. In that case we could offer them a spot. 

kat.jpg

3 minutes ago, mugtang said:

He should've pushed for it. Even if it meant less money per member for a year or two.  The basketball credits would've more than made up for it plus it would've raised the prestige of the conference. 

Even a conference Commish can only lead a horse to water   Still, I agree fully & wish CT had the energy & Credibilty to whip the Prez's into better strategic decisions!  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RAMification said:

CT just has no vision and no leadership to attain that vision. A good commish is also a good salesman. 

• Like 1

kat.jpg

35 minutes ago, RAMification said:

We did the right thing.  No football, or shitty Unlv style football.  Come on.  Glad we said hell no.  Have a little pride.  They don't belong, don't fit our foot print, don't play football.  Easy to say no.  

• Like 5

Getting a football start up would have likely meant adding yet another school for football to balance that out..WSU would have added ample value to basketball and would have been helpful for baseball..WSU  football has no value at all..I am far more interested in MW basketball than football so I might have done that deal.  I don't think it was ever on the table though.

1 minute ago, slappy said:

We did the right thing.  No football, or shitty Unlv style football.  Come on.  Glad we said hell no.  Have a little pride.  They don't belong, don't fit our foot print, don't play football.  Easy to say no.  

They'll have lots of cash to put into FB and Wichita supports WSU. 

kat.jpg

Actually, my understanding of the deal was WSU would start in FCS (D1AA) and eventually improve to a point where they would gain a slot, based on certain achievement levels attained.  Keep in mind, WSU already owns its own On Campus 31k seat Stadium built in '69... so that's already there.  That would be one of the largest in FCS today, and combined w/ MBB success it could prove to give Shockers good attendance -- if the Fball product is exciting & winning.

1 minute ago, Nevada Convert said:

They'll have lots of cash to put into FB and Wichita supports WSU. 

Word is that WSU Mbb will require that it not-fund WSU Fball.  That's what lead WSU to kill Fball in '88.  Mbb Made $500k profit annually, and had to hand it all over to the Fball Program, which lost about $400k/yr.    Constrained the Mbb for tooo many decades.

11 minutes ago, RAMification said:

Word is that WSU Mbb will require that it not-fund WSU Fball.  That's what lead WSU to kill Fball in '88.  Mbb Made $500k profit annually, and had to hand it all over to the Fball Program, which lost about $400k/yr.    Constrained the Mbb for tooo many decades.

But this time they have a path to FBS which should inspire donors and fans. Imagine how many fans you'd have if you dropped to FCS in FB. If they had a path to a P5 conf, they'd be inspired even more. We look at TV deals as a money maker, but FCS confs like the Big West and Big Sky have to PAY millions just to get their games on TV. That's brutal. The dangling carrot is there now for WSU donors and fans now, and they should be able to weather 4-5 years in FCS. That's what I think makes this different from the 80's FB sich. 

kat.jpg

we're not paying anymore travel subs to another trailer park school. it's bad enough we got Wyoming, Utah st and san jose st that leeches off every other MWC school just to survive, now we're going to add another leech. you are better off adding Idaho or new mexico st because you'll still end up getting with the same amount of NCAA tourney credits and that's 1 & done for 1 school. It's makes no difference if it's WSU or San Diego St that gets it, youll only get 1.

• Like 1

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

23 minutes ago, RAMification said:

Actually, my understanding of the deal was WSU would start in FCS (D1AA) and eventually improve to a point where they would gain a slot, based on certain achievement levels attained.  Keep in mind, WSU already owns its own On Campus 31k seat Stadium built in '69... so that's already there.  That would be one of the largest in FCS today, and combined w/ MBB success it could prove to give Shockers good attendance -- if the Fball product is exciting & winning.

They would need to do major renovations to that thing

Related image

41 minutes ago, mugtang said:

wrong, the MWC is a one bid conference even with WSU, it doesn't matter who brings in that 1 credit.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

8 minutes ago, Warbow said:

wrong, the MWC is a one bid conference even with WSU, it doesn't matter who brings in that 1 credit.

2 credits with WSU

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

2 minutes ago, happycamper said:

2 credits with WSU

maybe, if they get out of the 1st round. you may get another NIT bid at the most