BestintheWest

Wichita St to the AAC

23 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

yes.  University of San Diego (in the West Coast Conference)

also,  Villanova 

Those are Division I conferences, not FBS or even FCS and the schools play FCS football. I know of FCS schools that play in an another football league, the Pioneer, but my understanding is that it's their choice (Campbell) to do so and they could move to their home conferences if they want to (with the scholarship upgrades of course). With Campbell's move their are no FCS conferences with members in other football leagues(Pioneer).

In the end it just doesn't matter because my university will get whatever it wants and be on the inside on any incarnation of whatever conference it chooses and whatever incarnation of the NCAA or BCS that arises. Our ego only got bigger with the Pac-10, SEC and Big 10 trying to get us to join their conference.

Look, why don't you just be quiet before my university buys yours and closes it just for spite?

Nova did...they were members of the FBS football playing BE and had their football team in the FCS Colonial Athletic Association.

but like you said, that's years down the road...this should appease UConn and Cincy for awhile.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

We could have had a top basketball team to rejuvenate our conference and more importantly, the Koch family fortune that is funding their athletics. Dumb dumb move by our commissioner. He needs to be fired. The only way for him to save his job is to get Gonzaga and BYU.

• Like 1

Thompson can't unilaterally add or reject schools..He can't do anything without approval from the presidents.  It is also important to note, WSU did not formally seek an invitation from the MW.  In fact they made no formal contact at all.  There was no reason for them to do so either.  

You can fire Thompson today, and I would be fine with that, but it will not change the way the MW governs itself.  There could be changes made to the bylaws to allow non football schools but Thompson can't do that, nor could any other commissioner.  It would have to be voted upon by....the conference presidents..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, southfresno said:

We could have had a top basketball team to rejuvenate our conference and more importantly, the Koch family fortune that is funding their athletics. Dumb dumb move by our commissioner. He needs to be fired. The only way for him to save his job is to get Gonzaga and BYU.

He's survived for over 18 years now, accumulating well over $10M in paychecks from the incompetent group of presidents and ADs in the MWC.  Dumb?  Maybe.  But he's found a good situation (for him).

He hasn't done much for the conference, but he has built his own little power base of loyal allies through backroom deals getting some schools into the conference and getting a certain school a larger piece of the revenue payout.

1 hour ago, UofMTigers said:

Nova did...they were members of the FBS football playing BE and had their football team in the FCS Colonial Athletic Association.

but like you said, that's years down the road...this should appease UConn and Cincy for awhile.

Good call! I forgot about them.

• Like 1

In the end it just doesn't matter because my university will get whatever it wants and be on the inside on any incarnation of whatever conference it chooses and whatever incarnation of the NCAA or BCS that arises. Our ego only got bigger with the Pac-10, SEC and Big 10 trying to get us to join their conference.

Look, why don't you just be quiet before my university buys yours and closes it just for spite?

11 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I think Northern Iowa has earned more tourney credits over the past 6 years then any AAC team not named UConn. Different conference, same role for Wichita. 

I'll be interested to see how WSU will fare with a conference schedule that includes games like @Cincy, @SMU, @UConn, @Temple, @Memphis, @Tulsa, @Houston, @UCF, etc.

It will also be interesting to see how WSU impacts our conference RPI.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2699599-preseason-ncaa-basketball-rankings-2017-18-super-early-top-25-experts-poll

#4 Wichita State

#13 Cincinnati

if Semi Ojeleye returns I could see SMU as 25 team...

mem skyline sig.jpeg

2 hours ago, southfresno said:

Gee, I guess he's out of a job then, 'cause Gonzaga isn't interested, and neither are the MWC presidents. Nor are the majority of MWC presidents interested in BYU*.

So, are you going to have that executive conversation explaining his termination for doing what the presidents tell him to do?

• Like 1

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

53 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

I'll be interested to see how WSU will fare with a conference schedule that includes games like @Cincy, @SMU, @UConn, @Temple, @Memphis, @Tulsa, @Houston, @UCF, etc.

It will also be interesting to see how WSU impacts our conference RPI.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2699599-preseason-ncaa-basketball-rankings-2017-18-super-early-top-25-experts-poll

if Semi Ojeleye returns I could see SMU as 25 team...

I'm sure WSU will definitely help the AAC in both RPI and public perception. Goes both ways though, because the AAC is definitely better then the MVC so the shockers should be helped big time when it comes to selection Sunday and their seeding. This move is about as mutually beneficial as they come.

On a different note, I wonder how the MVC responds? If I were them I'd just go big and add all the Dakota schools and maybe Valpo. They can't possibly hope to get back where they were with WSU and Creighton, but there are a lot of solid up and coming programs in the Dakotas. 

1 hour ago, Wyovanian said:

Gee, I guess he's out of a job then, 'cause Gonzaga isn't interested, and neither are the MWC presidents. Nor are the majority of MWC presidents interested in BYU*.

So, are you going to have that executive conversation explaining his termination for doing what the presidents tell him to do?

Who the f---- cares? This is a board for Mountain West teams.

1 hour ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I'm sure WSU will definitely help the AAC in both RPI and public perception. Goes both ways though, because the AAC is definitely better then the MVC so the shockers should be helped big time when it comes to selection Sunday and their seeding. This move is about as mutually beneficial as they come.

On a different note, I wonder how the MVC responds? If I were them I'd just go big and add all the Dakota schools and maybe Valpo. They can't possibly hope to get back where they were with WSU and Creighton, but there are a lot of solid up and coming programs in the Dakotas. 

Rumors are that they're going after Valpo and Murray State. Both would be good adds, but it will never be the conference it once was. 

I wonder if we end the MW/MV challenge?

19 minutes ago, bigd said:

Rumors are that they're going after Valpo and Murray State. Both would be good adds, but it will never be the conference it once was. 

I wonder if we end the MW/MV challenge?

It could end up affecting the MVFC. If the MVC ends up adding both, I'd think that they have to find Murray State a spot in the MVFC, which gives them 6 members and allows them to bring it in house if they want. More importantly, it wounds the OVC which then needs to add and so does Horizon League, which I think are both above the Summit. Depending on who the Summit pulls in, it could get interesting for the MVFC. I'd assume that everyone would like to keep the MVFC together since it's worked out so well for everyone.

20 hours ago, nvspuds said:

I very much doubt that Wichita State ever had any interest in the MW.  The MW is a one bid basketball conference.  The AAC sends multiple teams to the dance. The travel for WSU is easier in the AAC, The money is better..Games played in Eastern Standard Time that increases exposure....They never even made any formal contact with the MW..

CBS reported last year Wichita State approached the MWC.  Per the info below the MWC did not show interest due to $ issues.  

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/wichita-state-interested-in-joining-mountain-west-considering-football/

"Individuals representing Wichita State’s athletic interests have approached the Mountain West Conference about membership, multiple sources told CBS Sports."

1 hour ago, Ixiah said:

CBS reported last year Wichita State approached the MWC.  Per the info below the MWC did not show interest due to $ issues.  

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/wichita-state-interested-in-joining-mountain-west-considering-football/

"Individuals representing Wichita State’s athletic interests have approached the Mountain West Conference about membership, multiple sources told CBS Sports."

Same article contains this paragraph...

Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson said he did not have direct contact with Bardo or Wichita State officials. He added that if Wichita State plans to park its basketball program in a new conference, “It ain’t going to be us."

13 minutes ago, masterfrog said:

Once the MWC said no to BYU hosting their non football sports, they pretty much have to say no to anybody without football. 

Even the ACC hosts Notre Dames non football sports.

Why did Pubic Hair Thompson never try to do a ND/ACC type deal with BYU, which would also ensure a certain number of football games???

He burned a bridge that has burned the MWC. Then he burned another one by publicly denying Wichita State instead of just saying that wasn't in the plans for now.

Having BYU or Wichita State would've made the MWC more prestigious. Gonzaga would've come over with that group.

• Like 1

hTKgPYW.jpgt8rHyxq.gif