BestintheWest

Wichita St to the AAC

Just now, nvspuds said:

I very much doubt that Wichita State ever had any interest in the MW.  The MW is a one bid basketball conference.  The AAC sends multiple teams to the dance. The travel for WSU is easier in the AAC, The money is better..Games played in Eastern Standard Time that increases exposure....They never even made any formal contact with the MW..

I agree with much of your post except the boldened.  It's two years of one bid.  It's anomalous, not the norm.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, #1Stunner said:

Because, here is how this played out

(1) Wichita approached the MWC about joining.....(First).   Hair said no.

(2) Wichita moved to plan "B", and approached the AAC about joining. (Second).  The AAC said "Hell Yes!!!"...

The MWC had the opportunity to quickly add Wichita State before the AAC could, and said "it ain't gonna be us".  The End.

Not the end.  You are reading one article.  They were reaching out for expansion possibilities.  They weren't only asking MWC, MWC was the only one to air it out.

The end.

I wonder if this ends the idea to bring back football since they are in a better conference without the upgrade or if this makes them plan for a future upgrade since they don't have to worry about finding a conference to play football in and it's already a solid conference....

It's a full invite and it's a lot harder to kick teams out once they are in especially if they start bringing in BBall credits.

In the end it just doesn't matter because my university will get whatever it wants and be on the inside on any incarnation of whatever conference it chooses and whatever incarnation of the NCAA or BCS that arises. Our ego only got bigger with the Pac-10, SEC and Big 10 trying to get us to join their conference.

Look, why don't you just be quiet before my university buys yours and closes it just for spite?

1 minute ago, East Coast Aztec said:

New Big East begins.............

one non-football member does not make us 'the new BE'

I mean, WSU will not represent a voting block or anything like the C7 did in the old BE.

• Like 1

mem skyline sig.jpeg

11 minutes ago, UTAlrightGuy said:

I wonder if this ends the idea to bring back football since they are in a better conference without the upgrade or if this makes them plan for a future upgrade since they don't have to worry about finding a conference to play football in and it's already a solid conference....

It's a full invite and it's a lot harder to kick teams out once they are in especially if they start bringing in BBall credits.

they can restart football and play FCS if they want. Since the AAC does not offer FCS football they could look to the MVFC, which is a strong FCS football only conference in the WSU footprint.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

18 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

they can restart football and play FCS if they want. Since the AAC does not offer FCS football they could look to the MVFC, which is a strong FCS football only conference in the WSU footprint.

Is it even possible for a school in an FBS football conference to play FCS football? Norte Dame plays outside their FBS conference but they play as an FBS independent of their own choice.  Schools starting football have to play what 2 years (I think) of FCS to transition. However can conferences actually deny conference members the ability to play a conference sanctioned sport in said conference If the school wants to. I have seen no examples of this. 

I know what you'd like to happen, but are their NCAA rules or conference rules to stop Wichita State from just bringing in football when they want to? Other than speculation.

In the end it just doesn't matter because my university will get whatever it wants and be on the inside on any incarnation of whatever conference it chooses and whatever incarnation of the NCAA or BCS that arises. Our ego only got bigger with the Pac-10, SEC and Big 10 trying to get us to join their conference.

Look, why don't you just be quiet before my university buys yours and closes it just for spite?

Guest #1Stunner
38 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Not the end.  You are reading one article.  They were reaching out for expansion possibilities.  They weren't only asking MWC, MWC was the only one to air it out.

The end.

The MWC could have jumped, and said join now, or never.  Wichita would have had to hurry and decided, and could have been had.

I'm not sure the California schools would have wanted them, though.  You guys hate travel to places like Wyoming and Kansas. 

Guest #1Stunner

One thing not considered.

The MWC maybe could not have offered Wichita State membership, because the State of California has banned all athletics travel to the State of Kansas.  

Hair might not have been able to do anything, because California is trying to punish the State of Kansas for their LGBT laws.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-uc-lgbt-02212017-story.html

3 minutes ago, UTAlrightGuy said:

Is it even possible for a school in an FBS football conference to play FCS football? Norte Dame plays outside their FBS conference but they play as an FBS independent of their own choice.  Schools starting football have to play what 2 years (I think) of FCS to transition. However can conferences actually deny conference members the ability to play a conference sanctioned sport in said conference I'd the school wants to. I have seen no examples of this. 

I know what you'd like to happen, but are their NCAA rules or conference rules to stop Wichita State from just bringing in football when they want to? Other than speculation.

if your conference offers a sport, you're supposed to play it there...the AAC does not offer FCS football...so if they started a FCS football team...they could put it in another conference. (see FCS Nova football in the old FBS Big East)

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Guest #1Stunner
2 minutes ago, UTAlrightGuy said:

Is it even possible for a school in an FBS conference to play FCS football? Norte Dame plays outside their FBS conference but they play as an FBS independent. Schools starting football have to play what 2 years (I think) of FCS to transition. However can conferences actually deny conference members the ability to play a conference sanctioned sport in said conference I'd the school wants to. I have seen no examples of this. 

yes.  University of San Diego (in the West Coast Conference)

also,  Villanova 

Just now, UofMTigers said:

if your conference offers a sport, you're supposed to play it there...the AAC does not offer FCS football...so if they started a FCS football team...they could put it in another conference.

And if they decide to move to FBS, I assume the AAC can't stop them without threats to kick them out. 

Im just play devils advocate to an extent. I find it interesting. Wichita State has placed themselves in a great position. If they don't want football, then they are in a great conference for basketball. If they want to add football, they they are on the best conference available to them and can potentially restart football and move it up at their pace. 

If the Wichita move leads to a renaissance in basketball, it may make it harder to expel Wichita if they try to restart football as the basketball schools may not want rock the boat.

1 minute ago, UTAlrightGuy said:

And if they decide to move to FBS, I assume the AAC can't stop them without threats to kick them out. 

Im just play devils advocate to an extent. I find it interesting. Wichita State has placed themselves in a great position. If they don't want football, then they are in a great conference for basketball. If they want to add football, they they are on the best conference available to them and can potentially restart football and move it up at their pace. 

If the Wichita move leads to a renaissance in basketball, it may make it harder to expel Wichita if they try to restart football as the basketball schools may not want rock the boat.

They could save a lot of money by playing FCS football in MVFC.

1) getting their stadium to FCS requirements will be cheaper than FBS requirements.

2) MVFC offers a more geographically sensible football conference for WSU

3) FCS football teams cost less to operate as the have something like 20 fewer scholarships and lower coaches salaries.

it's also a good fit as the MVFC has 10 current members...North Dakota joins the MVFC in 2020 taking them to 11...WSU could restart football in 2020 and be the 12th MVFC member.

it's the perfect compromise as WSU would get to join the AAC and restart football.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

2 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

They could save a lot of money by playing FCS football in MVFC.

1) getting their stadium to FCS requirements will be cheaper than FBS requirements.

2) MVFC offers a more geographically sensible football conference for WSU

3) FCS football teams cost less to operate as the have something like 20 fewer scholarships and lower coaches salaries.

it's also a good fit as the MVFC has 10 current members...North Dakota joins the MVFC in 2020 taking them to 11...WSU could restart football in 2020 and be the 12th MVFC member.

it's the perfect compromise as WSU would get to join the AAC and restart football.

But the money is in FBS football especially if the AAC gets a better contract next go. Anyways it's all good. I mean just trying to see the logistics and if it was possible. They may not want football at all or just have pulled an amazing con to get into the best FBS available to them and then start FBS football. It will be years before we know.

• Like 1