PTR

Albuquerque media reporting James Borrego will be next Lobo Basketball coach

Guest Cowboy Junky

If this is true, I love this hire.

He's an Albuquerque guy, so he'll get all the local talent.

He's similar to Muss. He came from the NBA will have lots of connections.

He came from the San Antonio NBA tree. That's not a bad staff to learn from.

He can recruit to Albuquerque. They already have the facilities and pedigree. 

I think UNM hit a home run.

42 minutes ago, Cowboy Junky said:

He's an Albuquerque guy, so he'll get all the local talent.

This potential fact may actually be important like once every decade. The best talent from the state in the last ten years came from the last two coach's sons. Not trying to be a d*ck but UNM hasn't and won't be successful by mining NM for D1 talent.

15 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

Bandito saying on TRM that the UNMSID says "not even close".  Van Tate saying tonight on the local news that press conference called for Saturday... Again SID says not true... Stay tuned Lobo fans! ?

Bandito is a much less credible source than Van Tate.  Bandito is just another message board poster like anyone else.

**  “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.”

hoserjpg-2009.jpg.1a3e5724d48c16a835b94dde26c99132.jpg

Guest Cowboy Junky
31 minutes ago, And? said:

This potential fact may actually be important like once every decade. The best talent from the state in the last ten years came from the last two coach's sons. Not trying to be a d*ck but UNM hasn't and won't be successful by mining NM for D1 talent.

Yeah, but every once in a while you get those Jason Mcmanamen or Marcus Bailey type of players that galvanize the local population. You have to keep them in your building and he will.

30 minutes ago, SpartanDude said:

What, the Albuquerque High School coach wasn't available?

Nah so we had to settle for some lame-o who's only worked under this old geezer named Popovich in something called the NBA.

• Like 2

Guest Cowboy Junky
54 minutes ago, SpartanDude said:

What, the Albuquerque High School coach wasn't available?

It's like an out of body experience, a SJSU fan commenting on hiring good basketball coaches.

46 minutes ago, Cowboy Junky said:

It's like an out of body experience, a SJSU fan commenting on hiring good basketball coaches.

They do have a good basketball coach. Dog shit athletic department, but a good basketball coach.

As long as he come in a fair person, leaves the NBA ego at the door, humble and grateful, teacher, leads by example, and kids willing to run thru brick walls for this guy, I'm all in. You can't fool the kids.. They will see thru him if he isn't sincere. 

8 hours ago, Hoser said:

Bandito is a much less credible source than Van Tate.  Bandito is just another message board poster like anyone else.

I know, just meant that Bandito posted on TRM about Van Tate's "scoop". I wouldn't take anything Bandito says at acurate.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

Seems like local media actually jumped the gun on this one. Not sure what happened. Maybe contract talks stalled. Maybe it never got that far. But what seemed like a near certainty, seems less likely today. Interesting. 

12 minutes ago, cherrycrush said:

Good ole Van Tate

Imo, Van and Mark Smith were talking to friends and or family of Borrego and one of them got a lil' trigger happy. 

UNM's options are risky regardless.

1). Go after a hot shot assistant (this would be similar to that)

2). Go after a retread that is probably pretty old and doesn't have the best track record

3). Go after a coach that has had success at lower levels.

4). Go after a coach that has had nothing special success at lower level (Cross).

Based on the info we know out there in the public (I think they have serious candidates that no one knows about) I'd go Borrego, Dooley, Cross in that order. With Cross being a dud hire and Dooley/Borrego being solid Bs with both risk and upside  

• Like 1

I think 90% of realistic Lobo fans agree with this take. Cross would be a dud. Krebs might have another possibility or two too. 

5 minutes ago, LoboSage said:

I'm hearing Borrego still.

Presser Monday.

I'm more than OK with that.

I am warming up to him as well.  He is from the area,wants this product to be successful and worked under one of the greatest coaches of this era.  I see him working hard to get things right.

• Like 1