PTR

Albuquerque media reporting James Borrego will be next Lobo Basketball coach

Multiple sources has told KRQE Sports that James Borrego will be the next men's basketball coach at New Mexico with a press conference Sat.

• Like 1

http://www.nba.com/coachfile/james_borrego/

College - San Diego
ASSISTANT COACH
James Borrego begins his first season as an assistant coach with the Orlando Magic. He spent the last two seasons as an assistant coach with the New Orleans Hornets. 

Prior to joining New Orleans, Borrego spent seven seasons with the San Antonio Spurs from 2003-10. He started as an assistant video coordinator in the summer of 2003 and finished his tenure as an assistant coach. During those season seasons, Borrego was a part of two NBA World Championship teams in 2005 and 2007. 

Borrego began his coaching career at the University of San Diego, where he was an assistant coach for two seasons from 2001-03. During the 2002-03 campaign, San Diego captured the West Coast Conference Championship and earned a trip to the NCAA Tournament. 

Borrego played three seasons at the University of San Diego, and during his senior season (2000-01), was named to the West Coast Conference All-Academic Team. He earned a bachelor’s degree in English and a master’s degree in leadership studies from USD. 

• Like 1

Interviewed to be the Houston Rockets head coach last year.

Was considered a finalist for the Memphis Grizzles head coaching job. 

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nba/2456/james-borrego

This is a pretty impressive hire for UNM. Albeit a risky one. Borrego was likely to be an NBA head coach sooner rather than later.

Geoff Grammer is now saying it's not a done deal and is contradicting what Van Tate (TV sports guy) twitted.

Bandito saying on TRM that the UNMSID says "not even close".  Van Tate saying tonight on the local news that press conference called for Saturday... Again SID says not true... Stay tuned Lobo fans! ?

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

6 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

Bandito saying on TRM that the UNMSID says "not even close".  Van Tate saying tonight on the local news that press conference called for Saturday... Again SID says not true... Stay tuned Lobo fans! ?

SID is denying because the contract hasn't been signed and the language hasn't been approved by UNM's lawyers. 

I'd say 90% this is a done deal.

1 minute ago, jdw said:

<Yoda> The Twitter Wars in Albuquerque, begun they have. <Yoda>

Strangely enough Mark Smith is also twitting it's a done deal. And he works for the same paper as Grammer. I tend to believe Smith because he's tight with the Borrego family. I'm sure he's talking directly to James' parents, siblings etc.

Paul Krebs has made confoozling the Albuquerque media an art form, just generally in a negative manner. In this case, there's probably a fair amount of smoke with the fire hidden behind it. I do think everyone involved, including Frank (UNM SID) would have been better served staying off Twitter tonight.

James Boreggo? James Boreggo? I want to see UNM do well, but James Boreggo? Seems like a pretty lateral move from Neal. Maybe Gottfried would be better?

Here's Gottfried at a conference in Roswell.

Image result for Gilbert gottfried yelling

Friends I know that are/were season ticket holders, are NOT happy with this pick if he is the pick... like me, they are taking a wait and see approach.

I cant believe we've been told time and again that Krebs wants someone with head coaching experience, then goes after a career assistant?

Native son better have his shite together toot sweet, or the peasants will revolt again... and this time they'll take Krebs out as well!

• Like 1

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

Neal was an NBA assistant before getting hired by Alford then had 9 years experience as an assistant D1 coach before getting the head coach job. Borrego could turn out to be a homerun hire but the chances are greater of him cratering the program.

• Like 1

Ideally, I would prefer a Gottfried or Crean type hire, but realistically speaking these guys aren't taking a backloaded 500k contract to coach in a non-major one bid league. That leaves us with guys like Scott Cross a Bible thumper whose coaching resume consists of 8 years in the Sunbelt and no tourney wins, Dooley, a guy who has been passed over for at least six jobs etc. etc. etc. As much as the Lobolair is pumping up the idea of a flood of interest in UNM by big name candidates, much like UNLV last year, that's just not the case. So that leaves us with a risk reward hire. Thing about Borrego is that he's been highly successful at everything he's done including moving from video coordinator to a top NBA assistsnt before even hitting 40. He'll be an NBA head coach in 2 or 3 years. This isn't hiring a boosters nephew who coached a couple years at a Juco. Borrego is taking just as much if not more of a risk as UMM imo. He has my support

• Like 1

IF he is our guy, then I'll support him, but not gonna jump in with both feet... Not right away. We'll see how it goes though. If he's been in line for, or even been considered for NBA jobs, then someone out there thinks he's got what it takes. 

I would think coaching PAID egos in the NBA would be harder to do than coaching college kids... His assistant coach picks will be his tell card though. His picks will say a lot about this hire.

• Like 1