Guest #1Stunner

Hair Thompson? - Do you want a change in MWC leadership?

Hair Thompson? - Do you want a change in MWC leadership?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Hair Thompson? - Do you want a change in MWC leadership?

• YES. Fire Hair Thompson. Get new leadership. Especially with a new TV Contract on the horizon.
    • NO. Keep Hair Thompson. Hair does a good job, and only does what the Presidents want him to do.

On 5/6/2019 at 3:31 PM, RAMification said:

I like several responses that ring true to me, which I added to the above "Quote" (3 in total):

We truly have NO IDEA how much Leadership CT has tried to provide over the years ... Example, like the highly visionary Mountain TV thing which the Prez's bought & then spit out (and likely blamed CT, which would naturally harm his credibility).  The Mountain showed tremendous foresight & VISION by CT.  But nobody wants to give him credit for that.  The facts are that we as MWC Fans know diddley-sqwat about how well he has done & is doing with all the massive sea CHANGE & Hurricanes that the MWC has had to go thru.

And I believe CT coulda quipped more eloquently about the Shocker MBB/Oly possibility... and I have no doubt that this decision (and possibly the QUIP) came directly from the mouths of the Prez's... still he coulda delivered it better.  

IMHO, I am reticent to critique "the Man in the Arena", when I've never been there myself & don't know of anybody well-informed about CT's arena, whom I trust to eval him fairly.   Certainly nobody on here knows enough to provide that Fair evaluation.

I agree.

All of this begs the question... WHAT WOULD THE MWC COMMAND WITH BOTH BYU AND BOISE STATE (equal shares)?

***If Hair could bring that to the table, then everyone could eat.

giphy.gif

Great point.  Unfortunately, do you think its possible for anyone (CH or otherwise) to herd the Prez's into agreeing to:

A) allow-recruit-entice BYU back into the MWC for Fball only, or Fball & Oly??

"B") allow-recruit-entice BYU into the MWC for Fball as a MWC Associate-Member (getting 5 or 6 games/yr, but no CCG or MWC Bowl access)??

C) Then get BYU & Boise to Equal Shares??  

I'm sorry, but I simply don't see how anybody gets our uber-conservative self-centered Doofus Prez's to look beyond their noses at such BIG ISSUES dealing 90% w/ Sports, and convince them to take a RISK.  Heck, just asking BYU into your Conference is a major RISK due to their history of lying, cheating, behind the back dealings that can hurt your MWC.  

DOn't get me wrong, I believe BYU belongs in the MWC & visa-versa... but BYU really has proven to be horrible Business/League partners.  Maybe some compromise could be reached for the Assoc. Member thing because it could be structured to be just like Notre Dame's deal w/ the AAC??? 

At least that could be appealing to the BYU propaganda machine!

• Like 1

On 4/6/2017 at 6:34 PM, jdgaucho said:

If I was to knock Craig Thompson on something recent, it would be how he handled Wichita State's inquiry into Mountain West membership.  

Not that he said no, but how he said it.  "It ain't going to be us."  Flat out rejection without even giving it a thought is a poor look.  Did Thompson even talk to the MW presidents about Wichita State? As the commissioner and face of a conference, he should be looking at ways to improve his league and representing it as best he can.  

He stupidly just repeated his dumb policy to only admit full members. 

kat.jpg

I used to be a Hair defender years ago, but he's clearly been incompetent and someone mentioning the Wichita BB pathetic handling is a perfect example. 

Who has the power? Hair or Prez's?   To start off, a good commish needs to be a world class salesman. That means knowing everything about his product, knowing everything about the competitions product, sharing a vision he has for the future of the conference, and then implementing a strategy to accomplish this vision. And everyone needs to know what the strategy and vision are so we're all working together in the same direction. If his ideas are right, and he believes that, it's his job to sell them to the presidents. He should be able to sell summer condos in Death Valley to the presidents. 

So if a commish is the shit, he can get a lot of what he wants. Pvssy commish's like Hair don't sell anything and he certainly doesn't have a vision. And even if he did have a vision, he'd totally fvck up the strategy, anyway. Hair throws his opinions around, but I think the Presidents are mostly driving the bus in that relationship. 

• Like 1

kat.jpg

Very true about Thompson, Convert.

It seems to me that during the MW's first decade, Thompson was highly motivated. He pushed for adding TCU and creating The Mtn network and then worked hard to try to get it an automatic bid in the BCS. However, among his mistakes was putting his subordinate Gillibrand, or whatever the guy's name is, in charge of putting together the TV deal. Maybe nobody could have done better but thinking back, in about 2006 on the old Aztectalk, a couple of the board members of the then Aztec Foundation started a thread about Gillibrand's visit to see them. I used to tailgate a bit with one of them and he was the last person you would read being critical on that board but that AF board member just tore Gillibrand a new one. He said in essence that if Gillibrand was actually in charge of putting together the TV deal as he claimed, the MW was going to get screwed and The Mtn was probably going to be in trouble down the road. Prescient comments all. Seems like since The Mtn went belly up and the autobid didn't come to pass and the Big Three bailed that Thompson has pretty much retired on the job.

However, the Ram has a point too. This conference once had some presidents with balls. Utah's guy comes immediately to mind. Same for TCU's president a bit later who read the tea leaves about the future of CUSA and then made a huge push to emulate his Utah peer in devoting more money to football and renovating their stadium in anticipation of a chance to move to a power conference. When they were leaving, SDSU's president Weber chaired the conference board and among other things put the kibosh on what many were saying was an inevitable vote to add USU and UTEP since CBSSN was allegedly pushing hard for their addition. USU subsequently turned out to be fine but UTEP continues to be a disaster and would have been almost as bad an addition as SJSU has proved to be. Weber retired a few years ago and after a year and a half of an interim president has been replaced by a friendly Latina who has thankfully ended all the nonsense about abolishing the Aztecs as the school's nickname but who is just as clearly not sports savvy and now that Kustra is also gone if there's any other MW president out there who is, I'll be darned if I know who it might be.

Boom goes the dynamite.

On 5/2/2019 at 9:19 AM, MWC Tex said:

People think the commissioner has all this power but forget on the other side there are TV, P5 conferences telling us how much we are worth and what power our conference really has.

CT could be telling them we want $6 million per school and the Fiesta bowl but when all the networks say only $1 million and Fiesta bowl laughs in his face you think he failed.

BSU fans say he should have added BSU earlier and maybe he did want to but the MW presidents did care for BSU because they look at other aspects like academics and having a stupid field in their conference.

Also, people forget the whole timeline of realignment.  

After BSU and SDSU left the MW had to add because of the NCAA rules for a conference to keep the auto bid.  

Which is why SJSU was added. Not for basketball but for baseball to keep within the rules. 

I don't really care what Hair says or does.  Just give every member their 3rd tier rights!

2 hours ago, aztech said:

I don't really care what Hair says or does.  Just give every member their 3rd tier rights!

As a fan of one of the smaller market teams in the conference, I'd have to say pass on this idea.

2 hours ago, aztech said:

They probably could have kept BYU in the conference without even going that far - even if they'd just been granted rebroadcast rights for their football games (as they were told and expected at the onset of the TV contract negotiations).

3 hours ago, renoskier said:

As a fan of one of the smaller market teams in the conference, I'd have to say pass on this idea.

Then consolidate with your other small market compatriots and make a media deal using strength in numbers.  Otherwise you're indirectly penalizing the large market members who can strike their own individual deal.        

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kalua pig said:

who is complaining about boise wearing blue in their home games? front range schools.hair is a stupid sock puppet.#leftcoastconference.

Uhh, pretty sure that was Rocky.

• Like 2

A lot of fans are mad that Thompson has CONTRACTED the MWC Champion to play a terrible 7-5 Pac 12 school as the MWC's #1 bowl option.

That's embarrassing.

The MWC had a better bowl opponent when it had BYU/Utah/TCU and played the CUSA Champion in the Liberty Bowl. Both teams were usually RANKED.

IMO, Hair Thompson should secure a bowl alliance with the Sun Belt to have a "Champions Game" in New Orleans (most recent home of the Final Four).

If that deal would've been in place these past couple years the MWC CHAMPION could've landed a better bowl opponent like TOP 25 Coastal or App State.

It hurts conference perception when a MWC Champion loses to any mid-tier Pac 12 teams.

Outside of the BRUTAL (MAC heavy) Bowl predicament, I think Thompson does a good job.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Super-Mega Idiot 1

On 6/9/2022 at 2:28 AM, kalua pig said:

mwc is in a tailspin and most people don’t recognize it.

I don't know if it's so much a 'Tailspin" yet the conference is certainly being left behind and a big reason is this "Chia Pet" useless MF.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2022 at 12:57 AM, BobcatGoldthwait said:

A lot of fans are mad that Thompson has CONTRACTED the MWC Champion to play a terrible 7-5 Pac 12 school as the MWC's #1 bowl option.

That's embarrassing.

The MWC had a better bowl opponent when it had BYU/Utah/TCU and played the CUSA Champion in the Liberty Bowl. Both teams were usually RANKED.

IMO, Hair Thompson should secure a bowl alliance with the Sun Belt to have a "Champions Game" in New Orleans (most recent home of the Final Four).

If that deal would've been in place these past couple years the MWC CHAMPION could've landed a better bowl opponent like TOP 25 Coastal or App State.

It hurts conference perception when a MWC Champion loses to any mid-tier Pac 12 teams.

Outside of the BRUTAL (MAC heavy) Bowl predicament, I think Thompson does a good job.

Albeit a middlin' opponent, it's a big payday for the MW.

I also agree that a Bowl between their non playoff Conference Champ and ours would be some good FB.

Just don't invite Boy-z cause they'll bail on the game and leave the Conference without a paycheck.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor