MWC Tex

MW getting serious to cord cutting, hires Daryl Seibel for Chief Brand & Comm Officer

Looks like the MW is getting serious about this. Here is a full interview about him with the Commissoner and the direction the MW will be "pioneering" again.

http://www.themw.com/video/58deac22e4b0a51b279a0776

Mr. Seibel is currently the deputy AD at UNLV since 2014 but before that he was Chief Communications Officer for the US Olympic Committee from 2003 - 2009 and Director of Communications for Team GB from 2009 - 2014 (think its Great Britain Olympic team).
He will oversee the following:
MW Digital Network
Digital and Social Media
Strategic Communications
Brand Development

Hard to gauge this move.  Definitely glad that they're getting serious, I hope this is the right guy.  I know nothing about him other than he was TKM's assistant which isn't a ringing endorsement and he's got a lot of history with that overly bureaucratic thing known as the Olympics.  To be honest he deserves a fair shot because he's been hired and we have to have hope.  However, Hair rarely gets it right and a branch of the TKM management tree makes me nervous.

We have to address the next step, I hope he's the right guy.

This scares me. This should be done on a gradual basis. Having little or no TV will open the door for other competing conf schools to say to recruits "You don't want to go to any MWC school....didn't you hear? they don't even have a TV deal anymore. Can you believe that? Even FCS conf's have TV deals!!!!"  This could be spun in a really harmful way by our competition.  The old writer from CAL that used to do work on SBS said that one of the biggest wants from recruits tends to be getting playing time on national TV for all their friends and family to see. Somehow only being on the internet is going to be a major buzzkill for a lot of MWC recruits. 

We don't need some sketchy people like Hair and others to 'pioneer' anything for the MWC. Way too risky. 

• Like 6

kat.jpg

Guest #1Stunner
18 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

This scares me. This should be done on a gradual basis. Having little or no TV will open the door for other competing conf schools to say to recruits "You don't want to go to any MWC school....didn't you hear? they don't even have a TV deal anymore. Can you believe that? Even FCS conf's have TV deals!!!!"  This could be spun in a really harmful way by our competition.  The old writer from CAL that used to do work on SBS said that one of the biggest wants from recruits tends to be getting playing time on national TV for all their friends and family to see. Somehow only being on the internet is going to be a major buzzkill for a lot of MWC recruits. 

We don't need some sketchy people like Hair and others to 'pioneer' anything for the MWC. Way too risky. 

Looks like Hair is going all in on the MWC Digital Network.  Does this mean that the MWC might be getting a very small TV contract the next go around?

Hair will lead the MWC to the promised land on the backs of the mellenials.

14 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Looks like Hair is going all in on the MWC Digital Network.  Does this mean that the MWC might be getting a very small TV contract the next go around?

Hair will lead the MWC to the promised land on the backs of the mellenials.

I'm guessing yes.  ESPN will pay big for a P5, but no one else.  Besides, they offered the MW peanuts a long time ago which led the conf to walk away and go with Collegesports TV.  Whatever we end up with, I just want to be able to watch CSU at a reasonable price and if I don't need cable to see them, we'll very likely cut the cord in our household.

Guest #1Stunner
12 minutes ago, RamSack said:

I'm guessing yes.  ESPN will pay big for a P5, but no one else.  Besides, they offered the MW peanuts a long time ago which led the conf to walk away and go with Collegesports TV.  Whatever we end up with, I just want to be able to watch CSU at a reasonable price and if I don't need cable to see them, we'll very likely cut the cord in our household.

Part of the problem might be that ESPN wants MWC games on Tuesday and Wednesday, or if on Saturdays, wants 9 pm start times.

9 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Hard to gauge this move.  Definitely glad that they're getting serious, I hope this is the right guy.  I know nothing about him other than he was TKM's assistant which isn't a ringing endorsement and he's got a lot of history with that overly bureaucratic thing known as the Olympics.  To be honest he deserves a fair shot because he's been hired and we have to have hope.  However, Hair rarely gets it right and a branch of the TKM management tree makes me nervous.

We have to address the next step, I hope he's the right guy.

This worries me too.  The athletic department for Vegas is the worst in the country.  The decision making there is laughable.  Why we would want any part of that clown show is beyond me.  I'm wondering what clever gimmick hiring is next.  

We we are now in trouble. 

59 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

Friends and family can see EVERY game that a recruit plays in on the internet.  

While I agree, it would be a negative to ONLY be on the internet currently, things aren't going in favor for broadcast TV over the past 5 years or more if you haven't noticed...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, slappy said:

This worries me too.  The athletic department for Vegas is the worst in the country.  The decision making there is laughable.  Why we would want any part of that clown show is beyond me.  I'm wondering what clever gimmick hiring is next.  

Thompson is correct , the viewing base is different. Personally if CBSSN goes away and I need to watch a game on my mobile phone, a tablet or my pc, I'm headed back to the radio.A lot of people bash BYU, but at least they have a way to televise their events. No football and basketball games on tv could very well cause teams to look at other conferences again.If this new  guy is any good at his job at the very least he should start working on getting local tv station coverage linked to the MW network. That's not great for national coverage, but how many non MWC viewers will watch on something other than tv?

47 minutes ago, slappy said:

Well...look, he was the Chief Office for Communications for the US Olympic Committee and the Great Britain Olympics before going to UNLV.  He knows about relevance of the Olympics is comparable to the MW as a G5 conference and on the digital and social end of things. 

As for any worries about being his previous job as deputy AD at UNLV, maybe his ideas were not listened to by being the AD.  However, I will say this that UNLV has had the highest amount of viewership on the MWDN than all other schools in the conference. 

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, Bob said:

I hate weekday games and I want want my Saturday games at a reasonable time. between 1-5 pm

I recall that the original reason the MWC went with CSTV (which became CBS Sports) was that ESPN was demanding the MWC play its games on Tuesday and Wednesday.  ESPN wanted filler.   The MWC said no.

1 hour ago, westfan said:

Thompson is correct , the viewing base is different. Personally if CBSSN goes away and I need to watch a game on my mobile phone, a tablet or my pc, I'm headed back to the radio.A lot of people bash BYU, but at least they have a way to televise their events. No football and basketball games on tv could very well cause teams to look at other conferences again.If this new  guy is any good at his job at the very least he should start working on getting local tv station coverage linked to the MW network. That's not great for national coverage, but how many non MWC viewers will watch on something other than tv?

All of the games on Campus Insiders are available on your TV if you have a Roku, Amazon Fire, Chromecast, Apple TV, and the like. I watched every Wyoming game on TV this year (that wasn't on CBS Sports), and I don't have cable.

• Like 1
5809184128_5cf90ed7dc_b.jpg

4 hours ago, westfan said:

When a game is only on the internet, I use a HDMI cable to connect my laptop to the TV.  It's not that difficult.

• Like 3

Having ESPN3 was great.  Just open the app and boom - you're watching it from anywhere.  Better, for my purposes, than ESPN or a network because I'm an O.G. cord-cutting mofo.  Interesting fact: Idaho was #3 in the 'belt for online viewership.  Well above the Texas schools that get some of you so wet, but below App State and Arkie Lite.

I for one, welcome our cord cutting overlords.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5138041-155/should-the-mwc-byu-cut-tv?fullpage=1

MWC commissioner Craig Thompson told the San Diego Union-Tribune that the league might consider cutting its TV ties and streaming all its games online. Football could be played on Saturday afternoons; basketball games could start at 7 p.m.

That's great for ticket-buying fans but bad for exposure. Maybe bad for recruiting. Maybe another step on the road to irrelevency — but the gap between the Power Five and the Group of Five is already so enormous, would it really matter?

But how much exposure is the MWC really getting when, for example, one of its men's basketball semifinals tipped off at 11:52 p.m. ET?

And is it worth the estimated $3 million to $5 million a year ESPN pays BYU to play football games at 8:15 p.m. MT? Does ESPN want BYU to play midweek games? We'll know soon — the BYU/ESPN deal expires in 2018, although ESPN can exercise an option for 2019.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

The only way this has a chance of working is if the MW has a dedicated app instead of piggybacking off Livestream. Having to scroll past livestock auctions and webcams of birds nests to find MW games in the Livestream app is the height of amateur hour. 

I have zero faith in our leadership's ability to pull this off without making us look small time.

• Like 3

On 4/3/2017 at 11:44 AM, RamSack said:

When a game is only on the internet, I use a HDMI cable to connect my laptop to the TV.  It's not that difficult.

Get a streaming stick like Roku.  Always plugged in and can quickly access espn3 and mw streaming games through the livestream app. With livestream, you have a search option so can find game easy.  

21 minutes ago, RedDog said:

Get a streaming stick like Roku.  Always plugged in and can quickly access espn3 and mw streaming games through the livestream app. With livestream, you have a search option so can find game easy.  

So I'm new to this cord cutting.  What would it cost me per month to have that stick, and when would I have to pay extra for ala carte?

Not that I'm cutting anytime soon due to poor internet, but I'm hearing that part of the equation might be improving within the next year.  I figure I want to know my options before they arrive.