sebasour

Breaking: Craig Neal Will Not Return Next Year

54 minutes ago, Aztecs Rising said:

Was the dude just a total prick? Or just in over his head as a D1 college coach at a place with high expectations like UNM? Some coaches are just better off as assistants. Maybe he's one of them.

Way over his head, did not know how to develop talent or tailor to players strengths. The hallmarks of Lobo basketball: grittiness, effort and fight were sorely lacking on noodle's teams. They were limp just like him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aztecs Rising said:

Was the dude just a total prick? Or just in over his head as a D1 college coach at a place with high expectations like UNM? Some coaches are just better off as assistants. Maybe he's one of them.

Honestly and reasonably subjectively, a very good assistant. Eye for talent. Serious anger management problems and an ego that his talent couldn't cash the checks for. We'll see him again with success somewhere, fortunately not Albuquerque.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Reggie Theus 

That would certainly intensify the interest playing NM for the Nevada fans.It was fun and rowdy when he brought his NMSU Aggies to Lawlor.:duel:Somehow I don't think NM fans like him much either.

11 hours ago, masterfrog said:

Miles just lost his best returning player, so things are really looking bad for him.  Ed Morrow is transferring out and both of his parents were Nebraska Lettermen.

I know Tim Miles is talked up by many, but I have not been a fan of his.  I think he did an ok job at CSU but Eustachy has done much better IMO.  He did not do great at Nebraska but he was not a total disaster either.  I would prefer another coach over Miles even though he has a lot of HC experience.  I wonder if Dave Rice would consider coming to UNM?<_<

I will sleep better tonight knowing that Noodles is not the UNM coach anymore.  And I was JK about Rice as the next coach in case someone took me seriously.  I just hope we get a guy that can speak intelligently to the press and produce winners.

**  “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.”

hoserjpg-2009.jpg.1a3e5724d48c16a835b94dde26c99132.jpg

In a radio interview the last half-hour, Geoff Grammar said all of the prospective transfers including Elijah are willing to wait a bit until they find out who the new coach is. Apparently the coach was part of the problem. Who knew? :)

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Hoser said:

I know Tim Miles is talked up by many, but I have not been a fan of his.  I think he did an ok job at CSU but Eustachy has done much better IMO.  He did not do great at Nebraska but he was not a total disaster either.  I would prefer another coach over Miles even though he has a lot of HC experience.  I wonder if Dave Rice would consider coming to UNM?<_<

I will sleep better tonight knowing that Noodles is not the UNM coach anymore.  And I was JK about Rice as the next coach in case someone took me seriously.  I just hope we get a guy that can speak intelligently to the press and produce winners.

When Miles got to CSU it was a mess and he rebuilt us into a tournament team. Eustacy's best year was his first year with Miles' players. Even with their new arena and money, Nebraska is a tough job. I don't know if anyone will ever win there. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jdw said:

In a radio interview the last half-hour, Geoff Grammar said all of the prospective transfers including Elijah are willing to wait a bit until they find out who the new coach is. Apparently the coach was part of the problem. Who knew? :)

Looks likely that at least Sam Logwood is coming back now. That's a big deal. He has the type of physical abilities that could explode under a good coach. 

• Like 5

If I'm Paul Krebs, here's a list of guys I'm calling (I'd love to get your guys' takes on this:

Big names who have lost their jobs (or are going to) and unlikely to come to NM, but you try. 

1.) Tom Crean-start here and see if he's interested. If anything, just the idea of Crean contact will be good for the program. Truth be told, we don't have the money to pay him the 1.4-2 million it would likely take. The only way this would work would be if Crean wants a quick turnaround with the facilities, fan support, and weak conference necessary to win quickly and bounce in 2-3 years if successful. Unlikely, but you make the call.

2.) Mark Gottfried- Same basic concept as with Crean. He's still only 53 and might be able to use UNM to springboard a jump to one last shot at a power conference. Or it might appeal to him to try and build sort of a regional western power all the while golfing 300 days out of the year. Again, money would be the big issue.

3.) Lorenzo Romar-Great recruiter, mediocre coach. The appeal with Romar is that he would immediately bring in the caliber of recruits that UNM hasn't seen in years. Same basic issues apply. My guess is he winds up making 500K per year as a recruiting ace and associate for a P5 team like Arizona.

4.) Tim Miles-I think we're all familiar with Tim. Probably the most realistic hire of this category. Would stabilize the program and would likely be financially realistic. Probably the lowest ceiling, but a relatively high floor.

Guys looking to move up from current conferences and would still get a reasonable pay bump.

1.) Kermit Davis-Middle Tennessee St. A guy who would probably stick around for a while and take the time to build the program correctly. Not a sexy hire, but a realistic possibility. 

2.) Mike Davis, Texas Southern- similar scenario as above. He's done a nice job at Texas Southern with half the resources of UNM. 

3.) Joe Dooley FGCU-Already smoke around this one. Good recruiter, from the Bill Self tree, excellent national contacts. I'm wary of an East Coast guy trying to make it work at a school like UNM. 

4.) Steve Forbes, ETSU. Motivator, great speaker, recruited really well at big programs.Part of the Bruce Pearl controversy. 

Outside the box type possibilities aka highly unlikely 

1.) James Borrego, assistant San Antonio Spurs. Local Albuquerque guy. Sort of a Mr. Albuquerque type (great HS player). Pop acolyte. would be an amazing Xs and Os hire. Super intelligent guy and highly effective leader. Cons obviously would be huge questions with recruiting and transition to dealing with kids. Lots of risk, but if he was a hit, could be the best coach in UNM history. 

2.) Ryan Miller- I think Miller is going to be a great head coach, but my guess is UNM will move away from all things associated with Steve Alford.

3.) Reggie Theus-Just because his name always has to come up here.

• Like 4

I think Kermit Davis just signed a long extension. 

Crean is already announcing on espn & had a buyout remaining on his contract. 

UNM has to act quickly to get those players in house.  Hopefully, the AD had his ducks in a row in regards to the next guy. 

• Like 1

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

1 minute ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I think Kermit Davis just signed a long extension. 

Crean is already announcing on espn & had a buyout remaining on his contract. 

UNM has to act quickly to get those players in house.  Hopefully, the AD had his ducks in a row in regards to the next guy. 

What's crazy is that all of the announced transfers are reconsidering leaving (even Elijah Brown). How bad must things have gotten under Neal. So much for the awful New Mexico fans are scaring away players by being mean to them on Twitter fake narrative. 

• Like 3