Jack Bauer

OT: Wichita State in talks to join AAC

Guest #1Stunner
6 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

ESPN plans to show a lot of ACC on ESPN and SEC on ESPN2 and vice versa for the foreseeable future.  They make money through ESPN and ESPN2 subs which subsidizes the payments for the "conference networks" that are so successful.  ESPN doesn't need east coast gang of five content anymore.  The MAC's value is about midweek football and ESPN has locked themselves into the SEC/ACC until 2035.  No other conference ticks all the boxes for the "worldwide leader" better than the MW for the next fifteen years.

The MW should have the option to compare a shorter term deal with CBS, Fox or NBC (who want to keep options open in 2024) against ESPN's likely long term deal.  I know I'm not involved in any way but I think I'm pointing out an obvious dynamic.

I think the American's TV rights are constrained in 2019-20 negotiations by high levels of uncertainty about which schools get selected for the Big 12 after 2024.  The MW might lose one  school, but the AAC will likely lose more in the wake of what will likely be a momentous year in college football conference alignment and UTEP is an easy plus one.  If the MW loses two schools then the conference can still play a championship game because the rules changed and there is no need to expand.  Either way, the MW you are talking about in 2019 will be the MW for the foreseeable future so there is a long term picture for the MW which is not part of the negotiations for the AAC.  

What about Fox?  CBS Sports?

2 hours ago, MWC Tex said:

Being that Football is what the TV contract is basically based on, not even Gonzaga will give a bump in TV $$ for the MW. 

As it was stated by the commissioner, a new team brought into the conference would need to add 3-4 million dollars to make it worthwhile....I don't think even Gonzaga can do that.

I have never understood how Touney Credits work, but it would seem that both WSU and Gonzaga (not that they are an expansion option for the MWC at all) would bring a lot in that regard. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

24 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Are you seriously trying to suggest that the AAC is on par with the Big East???

Most unbiased people recognize that the Big East is a huge upgrade over the AAC.  UConn and Cincy are the only schools in the AAC with a strong basketball tradition.  The rest of the AAC is akin to the MWC, at best.

UofMguy has a fifth grade education Stunner. You're wasting bandwidth.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

14 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

I have never understood how Touney Credits work, but it would seem that both WSU and Gonzaga (not that they are an expansion option for the MWC at all) would bring a lot in that regard. 

This does a good job explaining it. 

https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcome/?toURL=https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2014/03/20/how-a-single-ncaa-tournament-win-is-worth-1-6-million/&refURL=https://www.google.com/&referrer=https://www.google.com/

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Also UConn has been looking to get out for a little while. They have pushed for ACC, they have pushed for Big 12 and such. However they haven't been able to catch on with another conference. And right now, I am thinking possibly they have lower chances than they did maybe two years ago

Uconn built a football stadium forty five miles from their campus in Hartford for their football team.  They've got to keep primarily thinking about football until that debt is paid off.  The Big East would only expand if there is another Jesuit school looking to join named Notre Dame.  Otherwise, they can keep waiting because they've got a good thing going with a ten team league.

The big 12 expansion showed every team in the American will put their media spin out because there are a large number of 'homer' newspapers in those parts of the country that drive this.  I think this is a good example of something on the east coast we don't really have so much on the west coast, mostly because there aren't many places where the newspapers are competing with each other.

58 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

What about Fox?  CBS Sports?

Fox has 1/2 the Big 12, 1/2 the Pac 12, the top Big Ten package and the conference network, and the Big East so they've got a brand going.  They'll need some late programming but I think they need to get the Pac 12.

CBS sports focused on the American plus the Mountain West this time around.  I don't think this really was as great as it could have been.  NBC may make a play for the American + the Mountain West so they would be a similar situation but might have better exposure.  As a Sling TV / PS Vue user I am frustrated there isn't a good option for CBS sports over the top like there is for NBC Sports.

The key for any non ESPN package to be a benefit to the conference is whether there will be broadcasts on that network's national broadcast.  CBS or NBC could show a MW game with a Notre Dame or SEC game, while Fox and ABC both have the Pac 12 and, as a Pac 12 alum and fan, I'll acknowledge that ratings aren't always that great.  If there is no national broadcast, then ESPN gets a lot of exposure and so it's probably preferable if the money is more or less the same.  A fifteen year deal is long and to the benefit of the buyer more than the seller, so there would have to be some financial incentive versus two deals in that time.

1 hour ago, Jack Bauer said:

Sure thing, champ.  The Leftover Bought Off By Scraps from the Big Kids Table Bowl is amazing, fo sho.

Why is BYU so concerned of getting better bowls if all are meaningless.  Just stick with the Poinsettia..well...the Hawaii bowl and be done with it.

3 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

Why is BYU so concerned of getting better bowls if all are meaningless.  Just stick with the Poinsettia..well...the Hawaii bowl and be done with it.

All bowls besides the championship games are meaningless.  It's a fun, but ultimately unsatisfying postseason for everyone in college football.  Was there great meaning in getting your ass beat by Baylor?  Did BYU or Wyoming derive something significant from meeting in the Poin last year?  How about Hawaii's game?  Can you remember who won?  Can you remember who won the Miami Beach Bowl last year?  How about the Citrus Bowl?  Who played in both of those games?

The Access Bowl decreases in importance with each passing year.  Can you even remember if Central Michigan won?  Who did they play?  I don't even remember.  We'll probably just stick with taking the better bowls from this league like we've been doing since we went indy.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

Guest #1Stunner
5 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

All bowls besides the championship games are meaningless.  It's a fun, but ultimately unsatisfying postseason for everyone in college football.  Was there great meaning in getting your ass beat by Baylor?  Did BYU or Wyoming derive something significant from meeting in the Poin last year?  How about Hawaii's game?  Can you remember who won?  Can you remember who won the Miami Beach Bowl last year?  How about the Citrus Bowl?  Who played in both of those games?

The Access Bowl decreases in importance with each passing year.  Can you even remember if Central Michigan won?  Who did they play?  I don't even remember.  We'll probably just stick with taking the better bowls from this league like we've been doing since we went indy.

Exactly, bowls are okay for 1 additional football game.  But the Access Bowl isn't even close to what the BCS Bowls used to be.  The BCS Bowls meant that Boise, Utah, and TCU (when they went) were getting major national attention.  

We need the playoff expanded to 8 teams, and then call it good. 

6 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Are you seriously trying to suggest that the AAC is on par with the Big East???

Most unbiased people recognize that the Big East is a huge upgrade over the AAC.  UConn and Cincy are the only schools in the AAC with a strong basketball tradition.  The rest of the AAC is akin to the MWC, at best.

are you seriously suggesting UConn destroy its football program by going Indy? lol, nobody wants to make stupid decisions like BYU.

you can say 'UConn to the BE' until you're blue in the face but it won't change anything...only way UConn leaves the AAC is if a P5 football conference comes calling (just like every other AAC team).

mem skyline sig.jpeg

5 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

Also UConn has been looking to get out for a little while. They have pushed for ACC, they have pushed for Big 12 and such. However they haven't been able to catch on with another conference. And right now, I am thinking possibly they have lower chances than they did maybe two years ago

and any AAC team would leave for the ACC or Big XII....UConn and the BE are essentially a divorced couple who doesn't want to go down that road again.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

6 hours ago, mugtang said:

ESPN is bleeding money right now.  I expect a significant reduction in future media rights contracts. 

for big money conferences, yes...AAC offers cheap content that gets good ratings

paying the Big XII 30 million per team is a pain in the rear for ESPN...

paying the AAC 2-2.5 million per team is peanuts to them...

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Just now, UofMTigers said:

for big money conferences, yes...AAC offers cheap content that gets good ratings

paying the Big XII 30 million per team is a pain in the rear for ESPN...

paying the AAC 2-2.5 million per team is peanuts to them...

You'll get no dispute here.  The MWC makes ESPN $3 for every dollar they pay us.  Unfortunately, whatever cut the P5 gets means we are also getting less money. 

• Like 1

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

6 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

UofMguy has a fifth grade education Stunner. You're wasting bandwidth.

yet UConn is still in the AAC....so I guess it begs the question:

screen-shot-2011-08-18-at-1.20.54-pm.png

I don't think you're going to like the answer...

mem skyline sig.jpeg

18 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

BYU would be thrilled if UConn joined the Big East (big upgrade from the AAC), and went Indy in football with an ESPN Contract.

It would be an annual BYU vs UConn game.  I like that idea.  Plus, UConn would be in a prestigious basketball conference again.  

They're in a prestigious basketball conference now, with Wichita State on board.

uconn-memphis-Wichita state-cincinnati-smu-houston-temple-etc.. There are a lot of skins on those walls.

Multiple bid conference... As opposed to a 1 bid mwc

hTKgPYW.jpgt8rHyxq.gif

Guest #1Stunner
3 hours ago, FormerFrog said:

They're in a prestigious basketball conference now, with Wichita State on board.

uconn-memphis-Wichita state-cincinnati-smu-houston-temple-etc.. There are a lot of skins on those walls.

Multiple bid conference... As opposed to a 1 bid mwc

Prestigious?  HA!

Only an AAC Homer would try to argue that.

There are exactly 2 nationally prestigious basketball teams in the AAC:. UConn and Cincinnati.  That's it.  Every other school has no more significant tradition or prestige than an average MWC school.   Who are you contending is a prestigious basketball school, heads and shoulders above anyone in the MWC?  AAC has no one.

Now, we all know the UConn hates being in the AAC and believes it is an inferior conference that is killing their basketball.  UConn is right.  It's obvious UConn badly wants in the Big East or ACC.  UConn hates the AAC.  Some real turds in the AAC right now.

Cincinnati also wants out.  They were the only AAC school the Big12 seriously considered.  If UConn leaves, look for Cincinnati to beg to come along.  Xavier, Cinci's in-town rival, is in a much more prestigious basketball conference.

Right now the AAC should be thrilled the have UConn and Cinci.  Otherwise they'd look like a twin to the MWC.

46 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Prestigious?  HA!

Only an AAC Homer would try to argue that.

There are exactly 2 nationally prestigious basketball teams in the AAC:. UConn and Cincinnati.  That's it.  Every other school has no more significant tradition or prestige than an average MWC school.   Who are you contending is a prestigious basketball school, heads and shoulders above anyone in the MWC?  AAC has no one.

Now, we all know the UConn hates being in the AAC and believes it is an inferior conference that is killing their basketball.  UConn is right.  It's obvious UConn badly wants in the Big East or ACC.  UConn hates the AAC.  Some real turds in the AAC right now.

Cincinnati also wants out.  They were the only AAC school the Big12 seriously considered.  If UConn leaves, look for Cincinnati to beg to come along.  Xavier, Cinci's in-town rival, is in a much more prestigious basketball conference.

Right now the AAC should be thrilled the have UConn and Cinci.  Otherwise they'd look like a twin to the MWC.

lol, everyone wants out of the G5 to the P5, that's a given...the only way UConn or Cincy leaves the AAC is to join a P5...I guess you don't remember how it ended the last time Cincy and UConn played in the BE, it wasn't pretty.

nobody wants to be like BYU.

mem skyline sig.jpeg