Jack Bauer

OT: Wichita State in talks to join AAC

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources-wichita-state-talks-join-003417567.html

The conversations have advanced to where a timeline for potential membership has emerged, including the possibility of Wichita State playing in the AAC as soon as next season.

I find this interesting, a lot of people have wanted the Shockers in this league to raise the bball profile and some have said this league might take them contingent on them bringing back football.  

Thoughts?  It seems like the majority of half decent bball programs are consolidating in Eastern based leagues.  It would really be a blow to the MVC if the Shockers left, as that is their premier program and significantly weakens that league.  Wichita has to do this now, as the iron is hot and you never know how things might go down the road.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

It would make sense for them to go to the AAC. It's not only a better fit geographically but has also been performing at a higher level than the MWC.

• Like 1

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

It's a good thing Thompson told them no 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

7 minutes ago, mugtang said:

It's a good thing Thompson told them no 

Are you being sarcastic?  serious question.

I think they'd have fit in here real well, but they need football.  I know the front rangers often wanted to invite them.  

Hard to support another football program, but also hard to watch a rival league get better too.

• Like 1

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, Jack Bauer said:

I think they'd have fit in here real well, but they need football.  I know the front rangers often wanted to invite them.  

Hard to support another football program, but also hard to watch a rival league get better too.

Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson said he did not have direct contact with Bardo or Wichita State officials. He added that if Wichita State plans to park its basketball program in a new conference, “It ain’t going to be us."

1 minute ago, Las Vegas Reb said:

UConn was looking to bounce to Big East. This could a play to mitigate their loss or appease them. 

no, their not...it was one article from something called fanrag and Rothstein...UConn isn't going anywhere as they have nowhere to go.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2017/02/15/big-east-says-no-discussions-taken-place-uconn/

The Big East Conference and UConn both said there is “no truth” to the reports that discussions have taken place between the two sides.“There haven’t been any discussions,” Big East spokesman John Paquette told ZAGSBLOG on Wednesday morning.

“There is no truth to the rumors and reports that UConn has had discussions with the Big East Conference for possible membership,” UConn AD David Benedict said. “UConn is having great success as a member of the American Athletic Conference and will continue to do so in the future. This past Monday night was a prime example of that, as our women’s basketball team won its 100th consecutive game before a sold-out Gampel Pavilion and a national television audience. The game was the highest rated college basketball game on ESPN2 this season – men’s or women’s. UConn has won multiple national championships as a member of the American Athletic Conference and has enjoyed postseason success in many sports as a member of the league. We are committed to the long-term success of the American Athletic Conference and believe the conference is committed to being competitive at the highest level.”

mem skyline sig.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

Thompson told them they have to have football. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

5 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

Well, if UConn goes to the BE, it sounds like they'll be independent.  Maybe not.  I could see the AAC just letting them stay in football, but who knows.

why would UConn want to become UMass? why in the world would we want UConn football? ugh!

yeah, that's nothing but message board fodder...

mem skyline sig.jpeg

7 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

*they're 

last I looked message boards are not graded assignments. I'm sure most of my posts have some sort of grammar error but I'm not getting paid for this, so whatever...I got it right in English, Comp, and Lit class, though!

mem skyline sig.jpeg

24 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

no, their not...it was one article from something called fanrag and Rothstein...UConn isn't going anywhere as they have nowhere to go.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2017/02/15/big-east-says-no-discussions-taken-place-uconn/

Ok. Whatever you say. 

3 minutes ago, Las Vegas Reb said:

Ok. Whatever you say. 

UConn will be in the AAC until at least 2024 when the Big XII contract comes up for renewal...no idea what happens after that.

UConn actually gives a crap about their football program and wants to get back to playing for Fiesta Bowls...that's not going to happen as a football indy.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Guest #1Stunner
51 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

why would UConn want to become UMass? why in the world would we want UConn football? ugh!

yeah, that's nothing but message board fodder...

BYU would be thrilled if UConn joined the Big East (big upgrade from the AAC), and went Indy in football with an ESPN Contract.

It would be an annual BYU vs UConn game.  I like that idea.  Plus, UConn would be in a prestigious basketball conference again.