4UNLV

Spring Football

Probably the most meaningless scrimmage of the year.  However, I hope he takes it outside.  No reason to hide in the IPF.  No snow after sunrise.  I understand the need to be cautious about unnecessary injuries, but at the same time it is football.  It's important to practice it outside if you intend to play it outside.

It's not beneficial to have pampered players show up to a shit field in Boise, when the other team is not as pampered.

New coaching staff, new QB, lot's of questions. Probably won't have a winning season, but we will beat FresNeck in the Valley Rivalry...yet again! B) 

Football Scrimmage Over In A Flash & 2016 Team Awards Handed Out

13 hours ago, Headbutt said:

CSU's spring game is April 22nd also.  First CLOSED scrimmage is tomorrow.  I can't wait to hear the coachspeak afterwards and try to read between the lines and figure where we might be at in certain spots.

Is your new stadium gonna be done in time to hold your spring game in it? That would be a fantastic way to introduce rams fans to the new stadium, and I would imagine it would drive season ticket sales through the roof, once folks see what game would like like there!

and if not, will be at Hughes?

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

Guest Dr. Dre
On 3/31/2017 at 7:45 AM, 4UNLV said:

the Rebs' Spring Showcase 

that's a laugh

20 hours ago, Bob said:

Think Warren Moon. 

your wife does

2 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

Is your new stadium gonna be done in time to hold your spring game in it? That would be a fantastic way to introduce rams fans to the new stadium, and I would imagine it would drive season ticket sales through the roof, once folks see what game would like like there!

and if not, will be at Hughes?

Nope. Stadium won't quite be ready and they won't put 10 cents into opening Hughes for a day. This year will be unique in that their just going to paint lines on a big patch of grass on campus. I hope they bring in some bleachers. 

15 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Probably the most meaningless scrimmage of the year.  However, I hope he takes it outside.  No reason to hide in the IPF.  No snow after sunrise.  I understand the need to be cautious about unnecessary injuries, but at the same time it is football.  It's important to practice it outside if you intend to play it outside.

It's not beneficial to have pampered players show up to a shit field in Boise, when the other team is not as pampered.

Well, Bobo practiced inside. He is from the SEC. Rain is too much for them. <_<

6 hours ago, Rampage said:

Well, Bobo practiced inside. He is from the SEC. Rain is too much for them. <_<

And based on the stats...

Stevens can hit Gallup and Bisi for big gains (well that's new  :rolleyes:)  Two of our three headed monster RB corps is out for now, and we didn't run well, go figure.

The coach gave props to some DB's for their work, yet the WR's torched the DB's (on paper anyway).

I think Bobo made the point somewhat subtly, but it is clear.  You always suck in your first spring scrimmage unless you only manage to get back to where you finished the season at some positions, but the second one is the one that tells the tale of how bad you want it.

They've got a week to earn their jock straps on defense.

Speaking of earning things, Bobo won't let them into the new stadium for a tour this spring until they've earned the right.  Typical coach speak, but I like it.

Guest Cowboy Junky
22 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Doesn't he have to? How do you scrimmage on a 50 yard long field?

9 minutes ago, Cowboy Junky said:

Doesn't he have to? How do you scrimmage on a 50 yard long field?

Well, 70.  I don't know if you've ever attended a D1 football practice but for the live ball (scrimmage) periods 50 yds is more than plenty.  Rare that you need more than 30.  Not an ideal situation, but certainly not the end of the world.

They went inside.  Focus was on the playbook and fundamentals, not working in live conditions.  I disagree with the decision but I get it.  Progress was made, that's how coaches judge these things.

I'm not a fan of the scrimmage stats btw, but it was scrimmage one of many that will happen in '17.  We've got a lot of guys rehabbing injuries, and a whole lot of talent that hasn't made it to campus yet.  I'll judge this team just a little in a couple of weeks when spring practice finishes up, but not really judge them until I see what they bring against CU.

I gotta feeling this Armani Rogers kid will be a stud. Especially those last 2 years. Redshirt year probably helped him a ton.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

Guest RoscoesDad

Was at the spring game yesterday.  It certainly appears we are going to be an offense that puts up maybe 20 pass attempts per game and run run run run run.  If we are going to run that much with the QB, we better have 2 or 3 of them.  Rogers was very impressive with the option and is a serious weapon running the ball, he is going to make a lot of plays with his feet, just hope he can stay healthy.  Passing wise, I think we are going to struggle again this year.  Mostly because it appears we are only going to pass in obvious passing situations and the guys we have are not real accurate.  Stanton put up a long bomb yesterday that I swear was corkscrewing sideways in the air, it somehow got caught for a TD, but man was it ugly.

On 4/1/2017 at 8:30 AM, crixus said:

New coaching staff, new QB, lot's of questions. Probably won't have a winning season,...yet again! B) 

Football Scrimmage Over In A Flash & 2016 Team Awards Handed Out

You're probably right butch. 

On 3/31/2017 at 9:31 PM, DestinFlPackfan said:

IMO , Boise needs to get back in the "Us vs Them" mentality.

Or they can hire one of top up and coming coaches in the nation.  Petersen deserves all the credit.  That guy is a winner and his teams perform.  

I think the MW is pulling for a contract extension for Harsin.  

We just finished up our first week of spring practices. Reports are that morale seems to be high, coaches are getting back to basics on a lot of things, and then they're installing the new systems on both sides of the ball. I'll be interested in seeing how week two goes. 

On 3/31/2017 at 5:26 AM, BleedRebelRed said:

Only the "warm climate" schools in the conference are finishing spring training already - and in the MWC that means SDSU and Hawaii (who both are already done) along with UNLV.

However the last couple days Las Vegas hasn't been such a warm climate.  If I make it to the game tomorrow I won't be in shorts like earlier this month.

Got back from LV last night after three plus days there. I've been to Vegas several dozen times on business and pleasure and don't remember it ever being as windy as it was on Thursday night.

SDSU spring camp was a success to me if only because there were only a couple minor injuries. That's much less than usual so a good sign. Now I'm crossing my fingers for no positive tests for weed over the summer like we apparently had with three dumbasses each of the last two years.

Boom goes the dynamite.