Jaredcg

UNLV Transfers

2 minutes ago, Runnin'Redneck said:

Those guys had to deal with a bad situation. Recruited by Rice, transitioned to Beard, and then left without a head coach. Rough days for the Rebels.

except only poyser was here before menzies, marvin brought in baxter and zion morgan.

3 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

except only poyser was here before menzies, marvin brought in baxter and zion morgan.

That's who I was referring to. Poyser got a terrible draw coming to UNLV, one of the few times that can be said for any player playing here.

BYU, not sure if you know this but the WCC tourney is in Vegas too... What conf will you join when you can't win that one anymore?

Just now, Runnin'Redneck said:

That's who I was referring to. Poyser got a terrible draw coming to UNLV, one of the few times that can be said for any player playing here.

ok, gotcha. thanks.

3 minutes ago, fbpack said:

Is UNLV going to be better next year?

actually quite a bit better, still will be middle of the pack though. and now we have open schollies. :)

Poyser and Morgan isn't a surprise, but losing Baxter hurts. The roster needs to stabilize at some point.

7 hours ago, ph90702 said:

If you’re such a UNLV fan, why did you go elsewhere?

This is after Beard quit. Read the rest of the feed. Lots of rebel support then. Now, he has one underproductive year and he's being thrown away? I really hope he does well at his next destination. It's sorry to see somebody loyal to the program be discarded like that.

BYU, not sure if you know this but the WCC tourney is in Vegas too... What conf will you join when you can't win that one anymore?

12 minutes ago, Runnin'Redneck said:

This is after Beard quit. Read the rest of the feed. Lots of rebel support then. Now, he has one underproductive year and he's being thrown away? I really hope he does well at his next destination. It's sorry to see somebody loyal to the program be discarded like that.

but we don't know if he's being 'thrown away', he might have felt like he could do better in another situation.  he went through a lot of drama last year, which took it's toll, and then wasn't quite ready to carry the load this year. he'll have a year off to get his head straight and his confidence back up. i kept hoping all season long that he'd get out of that slump, and i'd have liked to see him drive to the basket more, he can twist himself around like a pretzel underneath. i really don't doubt that he'll do well wherever he ends up, and i expect to see him back to his old form shooting wise.

as for baxter, menzies said from the get go that NO ONE was going to get automatic minutes, they were going to have to earn them. and we heard fairly early that baxter may or may not have been putting in a ton of effort in practice, same with coupet. i don't know if that is true, but it might explain why his minutes dropped so suddenly when he went from starting after morgan got hurt to not seeing the court shortly thereafter, he wasn't 'hurt' at the time. i hope he does well in the next few years as well.

34 minutes ago, Runnin'Redneck said:

Discarded? There isn't proof in that.

Poyser was loyal. He also started the season great. However it seemed he fell off the face of the map. It's probably in his best interest to go sit somewhere and rework his game. It'd be hard to recover from this last season when his game disappeared for 3 months.

• Like 1

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

FWIW Spoke to a colleague  whose son, a promising HS sophomore played Mc Coy's team and covered him. His kid is a 6' 6" 3. Said he's soft. Doesn't like to mix it up inside. His kid was able to shut him down. They also played Bol Bol's squad and said he's the goods.

• Like 2

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

50 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

FWIW Spoke to a colleague  whose son, a promising HS sophomore played Mc Coy's team and covered him. His kid is a 6' 6" 3. Said he's soft. Doesn't like to mix it up inside. His kid was able to shut him down. They also played Bol Bol's squad and said he's the goods.

i watched him for about 10 minutes in one of their playoff games, and i got the same impression. thanks.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

Who is Bol Bol?

6 minutes ago, Runnin'Redneck said:

Who is Bol Bol?

Manute Bol's son

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/210856/bol-bol

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

1 minute ago, CockyUNLVPoster said:

That kid looks like a Menzie's type of guy.  Marv, get after that guy. :foottap:

210856.jpg&w=190&h=254

Imagine being 7'1" and still being way shorter than your dad was.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Yellow Evan said:

Poyser and Morgan isn't a surprise, but losing Baxter hurts. The roster needs to stabilize at some point.

Stabilization is overrated when the players suck.  When the players suck, your ceiling is the floor.

This was expected, but it's still disappointing when things don't work out with players and a program.

• Poyser was loyal and hopefully he ends up in a situation that works out for him.  Playing for Todd Simon at SUU would give him the opportunity to be an all-conference player.  Going somewhere like TCU could make him a valuable reserve.  At UNLV his freshman year he showed great promise - offensively his game reminded me of Anthony Marshall at times.  Unfortunately defensively his game reminded me of Cody Doolin at times.  Once he became a key player - and opponents planned to defend him - his offense really dropped off.
  • Baxter last fall seemed like the future of the program - but he quickly was in disfavor with the coaching staff and never appeared to do whatever it was they expected for him to get back in good graces.  Incoming forward Tervell Beck was expected to show up and immediately be ahead of Baxter on the depth chart.
  • Zion Morgan and Ben Coupet were two Chicago guys that were still available when the coaches got serious about filling the roster last May.  I think both had had a lot of "interest" but Morgan had one scholarship offer and Coupet none.  The staff had no opportunity to see either play - just whatever video they could dig up - and all the official visits had been used up by the "interim" staff.  Morgan and Coupet fit the bill of what the staff was looking for: under-the-radar guys who were willing to commit to a school in a part of the country they had never been to.  I liked Morgan, thought he could develop into a reserve defensive stopper role.  Coupet was always considered a project - we'll see in the coming month what ends up happening with him.

Sljivancanin was another "sight unseen" recruit, but was always considered a major project so maybe there's a little more patience with him.  Due to injury he never played the year he spent in prep school after he arrived in the U.S.  At most any other program he would have been redshirted this past season, and would benefit from redshirting this next season if there is a scholarship available for him.

• Like 2