fanhood

Future of the Las Vegas Bowl

7 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Not MWC vs. PAC #12?

It's already one of the last remaining P5 v G5 matchups still being played. That will not last long , if at all. 

"If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, are you still a moron?"

"Give me a Sandwich and a Douchebag and there's nothing I can't do!"

Right now the Sun Bowl trumps the LV Bowl. History, stadium, attendance, etc. When the new stadium becomes a reality, the LV Bowl will trump the Sun Bowl, no getting around it. Stadium, money, prime destination, etc.

UTEP needs to work with the Sun Bowl people (all are El Pasoans) and CBS, the long time media partner with the Sun Bowl, and with the ACC and MWC to have the MWC champ (when not in the Access Bowl) vs an ACC team. UTEP's angle would be membership in the MWC, not so UTEP can play in the Sun Bowl but because it needs some leverage to get into the MWC since it is full right now.

UTEP normally has a solid basketball program and when (seldom) successful in football has very good attendance in football as well.

• Like 2
utep-sunbowl.jpg

This is all wishful thinking.  The MWC schools in the bigger markets need to fill their stadiums and draw ratings. Until the MWC truly possesses the largest markets where it has a presence, all this chest pounding is nothing, tempest in a tea pot.

• Like 1

"If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, are you still a moron?"

"Give me a Sandwich and a Douchebag and there's nothing I can't do!"

On 4/3/2017 at 6:09 AM, MinerInWisconsin said:

Right now the Sun Bowl trumps the LV Bowl. History, stadium, attendance, etc. When the new stadium becomes a reality, the LV Bowl will trump the Sun Bowl, no getting around it. Stadium, money, prime destination, etc.

UTEP needs to work with the Sun Bowl people (all are El Pasoans) and CBS, the long time media partner with the Sun Bowl, and with the ACC and MWC to have the MWC champ (when not in the Access Bowl) vs an ACC team. UTEP's angle would be membership in the MWC, not so UTEP can play in the Sun Bowl but because it needs some leverage to get into the MWC since it is full right now.

UTEP normally has a solid basketball program and when (seldom) successful in football has very good attendance in football as well.

I'd take UTEP in a second to get the Sun Bowl. UTEP in the Mountain, BYU in the Mountain, Boise in the West, and Gonzaga to replace Hawaii (in Olympic sports) lets at least +++++ing try!!! Come on Hair!!! It's make or break time for us. Time to wheel and deal. Let's consolidate. BYU needs Bowls. They'd consider re entry to the MWC with Sun and possibly Las Vegas Bowls post 2019 for the MWC, plus a CCG in Vegas. At least talk to our media partner CBS about this! Try!!!

Las Vegas

Sun

Holiday

New Mexico

Hawaii

Idaho Potatoes 

Arizona or Cactus

On 4/2/2017 at 9:15 PM, RAMification said:

sorry guys... I kinda took off here... ignore my wanderings.

Just 1 thought... maybe the MWC could commit to it's own BUILD-Up program in order to boost the MWC teams up-scale in both Reality & Perception.  Isn't it very possible that the Top teams in the MWC can Step Up to the levels that TCU & UU achieved before leaving?  Heck, BSU was at that level for about 8 yrs in a row, before moving to the MWC.   

IMHO, the secret to the MWC's success will be in it's teams getting highly successful in their OOC games.  Get our teams to somehow learn to come outta the gate STRONG & Healthy & Ready... surprise several P5's, get 3 to 4 W's in the OOC, and the MWC once again begins to build its Name, Recognition, and Nat'l viewership.  

One of the MWC issues across the board is "Finding & Signing great talent".  Here's my #1 solution:

#1) IMHO it's imperative for the MWC to amend it's Inter-Conference Transfer Rules... allow players to Xfer to other MWC teams w/o having to sit-out 1 year... keep our proven & high talent kids from (by-default) Xfer-ing to other Conferences (especially P5 Conferences).  Especially kids w/ their degrees who have 1 Yr of elegibility remaining... the MWC needs these type kids to stay in the MWC !!!  It's Stoopid to force them to leave the MWC just because of our fears that kids will be dis-loyal to their original school -- if they're treated Well & Fairly they will rarely be disloyal.  So it provides an incentive for Coaches to treat their kids better!

#2) Figure out how get MWC Coaches to "work together" & share recruiting insights and tips w/ a "recruiting GURU/coordinator" who resides in the MWC HQ, and who passes or forwards good & helpful recruiting info onto the proper team or teams w/i the MWC.  The MWC must begin to work & coordinate as a team of Lions in the hunt for Talent... not like standalone Tigers.

It is a dog eat dog world, and the good coaches are not going to share, the only ones who would want this would be the inferior coaches. For most quality coaches here, just as for most quality programs, the ultimate goal is to land in the P5.

The way programs in the G5 rise to levels like TCU, UU and Boise had is to land elite coaches who for whatever reason prefer staying to leaving for higher profile and more lucrative P5 gigs , and those guys seem to be few and far between.

26 minutes ago, hawkeyelobo said:

I'd take UTEP in a second to get the Sun Bowl. UTEP in the Mountain, BYU in the Mountain, Boise in the West, and Gonzaga to replace Hawaii (in Olympic sports) lets at least +++++ing try!!! Come on Hair!!! It's make or break time for us. Time to wheel and deal. Let's consolidate. BYU needs Bowls. They'd consider re entry to the MWC with Sun and possibly Las Vegas Bowls post 2019 for the MWC, plus a CCG in Vegas. At least talk to our media partner CBS about this! Try!!!

Las Vegas

Sun

Holiday

New Mexico

Hawaii

Idaho Potatoes 

Arizona or Cactus

Sun Bowl would be a replacement for Vegas Bowl, not in addition to. Vegas may be able to get two bowls, ala Poinsettia/Holiday, where the MWC would likely get the version of the Poinsettia.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan